Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

16 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Friendly Fires (unlucky @Semprini ) and a few others ruled out.

Not gonna lie, that's a bit of a blow but pretty sure they'll tour the UK in autumn so hopefully it will include a date near me. I might do the Saturday of Latitude again so would be a bonus if they turn up there. You're right about Bicep though @DiscothequeDave, will definitely be a highlight of the weekend for me!!

It's hard to gauge the impact of Dua Lipa at Tomorrowland? Yes artists do play both each year but that's mostly DJs and not potential Main Stage headliners. After years of sharing practically the same set of headliners, Lowlands and PKP seem to have now made the decision to try and offer something a bit different to each other so there's a chance she could just play LL. The 'difference' though (if there even is one this year) could be the big name that we're all hoping will play PKP as it seems LL have announced all theirs. There's obviously ID to also throw into the equation as it doesn't look like they're playing LL.

47 minutes ago, Semprini said:

It's hard to gauge the impact of Dua Lipa at Tomorrowland? Yes artists do play both each year but that's mostly DJs and not potential Main Stage headliners.

Oscar & The Wolf played TML aswell and was one of the biggest names on the Friday of Rock Werchter. I think she can do both.

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

FF Playing France same weekend. 

Would love FF to play, only chance I've ever got to see them at a festival has been TITP and I missed it due to my girlfriend breaking her foot about an hour before.

Gutted about Friendly Fires and as usual at PKP i really hope both the Dance Hall & Boiler Room have strong line-ups, my preference is away from 'big' techno names as I've seen a majority of them so many times and more on 2manydj's, boys noize, mr oizo vibes they had last year.

Still holding out for Mumbai Science and the likes to feature at some point.

I can definitely see SASASAS getting booked at some point over the weekend due to Macky Gee's set being fairly well received at last years PKP.

A dream booking for me would be Sufjan Stevens but seeing him play a festival is as rare as a blue moon :(.

21 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Would love FF to play, only chance I've ever got to see them at a festival has been TITP and I missed it due to my girlfriend breaking her foot about an hour before.

Gutted about Friendly Fires and as usual at PKP i really hope both the Dance Hall & Boiler Room have strong line-ups, my preference is away from 'big' techno names as I've seen a majority of them so many times and more on 2manydj's, boys noize, mr oizo vibes they had last year.

Still holding out for Mumbai Science and the likes to feature at some point.

I can definitely see SASASAS getting booked at some point over the weekend due to Macky Gee's set being fairly well received at last years PKP.

A dream booking for me would be Sufjan Stevens but seeing him play a festival is as rare as a blue moon :(.

Certainly a very good chance of FF playing. Played in '13 and '15 and have an album to promote. 

Good shout for Mumbai Science to play. I too liked the direction of the boiler and dance hall. Hoping they kinda go down the same route and steer away from the D'n'B from previous editions. Also hoping the Castello stuff is better this year. Didn't set foot in in last year.

7 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Certainly a very good chance of FF playing. Played in '13 and '15 and have an album to promote. 

Good shout for Mumbai Science to play. I too liked the direction of the boiler and dance hall. Hoping they kinda go down the same route and steer away from the D'n'B from previous editions. Also hoping the Castello stuff is better this year. Didn't set foot in in last year.

I saw Omar Soleyman who was great despite my camping band breaking off during dancing and then having to basically plead to get a new one at the box office, went to see Tycho but they were so delayed I saw one song and left to get caught in the rainstorm.

I'd like to see Her's or Yellow Days in the Club this year, didn't go in there myself last year due to clashes and the like :(

Obviously the situation with DJs is a bit different to bands in that they can travel relatively large distances quickly between gigs and even do two in a day so it's not so much of a issue whether they're in the area or not. Having said that, I'm sure some of the Drumcode Festival line up may well filter through over the weekend. Some really nice names in the Bestival announcement too so looking fairly promising at this stage. Bit surprised we haven't had any leaked names yet but there's still time before we get the first official word.

DVXo71qWsAA0wkf.jpg

One of the great mysteries of life is how popular the editors are in Belgium. Headlining over Kraftwerk and the National. Unreal.

Interesting to see Deus back. Can't see it ruling them out of Pukkelpop. Another contender for Marquee headliner? 

Was looking at Pukkelpop line ups from yesteryear yesterday. Deus playing two sets in two days in 2009 and Placebo playing the main in both 2009 and 2010... And I complain about the main stage stuff of today!

IMG_20180207_074503.jpg

36 minutes ago, TheHiddenPassenger said:

Getting impatient now.. does anyone have a list of artists that are completely ruled out and those that are pretty much nailed on?

There's one a few pages back.

Kendrick, The War On Drugs, Imagine Dragons, Dua Lipa and Bonobo are nailed on for me. If the Foos are announced for Reading and Leeds you can probably count them in too.

16 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

IMG_20180213_081453.thumb.jpg.908fe9cfa1691b94b08d57bc35386324.jpg

Shockingly bad line up and throws a lot of really shit bands into the mix for Pukkelpop. 

Probably rules out the Pixies, Foos and Paramore by the looks of it but you never know. Hopes very much still pinned on Arcade Fire for me.

Came to say the exact same thing, I pray to that all these shite rappers don't make the PKP lineup, or at least are not taking up the bigger spots on the other stages.

id take KOL over Imagine Dragons and the like though at least I know a load of their tunes.

Honestly don't see the appeal of the likes of Post Malone, J Hus etc. (Basically the whole Longitude lineup). Fingers Crossed as R&L has been turning more and more into Wireless recently.

Not that I am particularly fond of the top billed names on the poster, but WOW, the quality really drops off after the headline names. I am by no means on the pulse of new music but on the Friday I have only every listened to Fall Out Boy (about a decade ago), Wolf Alice and Belly.

This is a bad lineup, I cannot imagine any great numbers will fancy it. Unless they pull something spectacular out of the bad, they'll be doing free tickets with your GCSE results in order to pull a crowd.

Just popped my head into the R&L forum and understandably the fume levels are off the scale. It is a worry that all of the shite on that line up is now in contention but I still feel there's enough other decent stuff around to balance things out. PKP has always had rap/hip hop, they even dedicated a whole stage to it for a few years, but I can't see them going in as heavy as R&L. They usually have a day in the Dance Hall that's just full of rappers so I don't have a problem if they stick them all in there to get it out of the way.

If they book FOB and PATD then they will be early evening Main at best. I'm not sure who's in the frame to play the 'Saturday Shelter in the Marquee' this year so one or both of them could even do that? That Netsky b2b thing will likely headline a night in the Boiler and The Magician, Hannah Wants and Riton are all pretty likely now. Doesn't seem to be too many live acts around for the Dance Hall but they might make a statement and put Chase and Status in there, although closing Main is more likely. Would love to see Orbital, Leftfield and Underworld but don't think they really suit the demographic anymore. 

So what are we thinking, two weeks today for first news?

1 hour ago, TheNewUnion said:

I have only every listened to Fall Out Boy (about a decade ago), Wolf Alice and Belly.

It's not the one you're thinking of. :P

2 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Hopes very much still pinned on Arcade Fire for me.

Reckon you'll be disappointed, to be honest. Between their spring tour, their summer festivals and summer tour dates they're pretty much covering all bases and Belgium has a visit in April so I think they'll head back after Scandi festivals.