Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Sounds good to me.

Own Goals?... Haven't they had the exact same fan base since 2008 who have been to most tours, or is that just me?

Idk man. I saw them in '08 supporting Bloc Party but I didn't know who they were at the time, started to be a fan with Romance Is Boring but didn't get to one of their own gigs until Hello Sadness tour. Judging by the earlier shows I saw being poorly attended support/festival sets I'd say they've cultivated a loyal following over the years and a lot weren't there from the beginning, also many youts at their shows these days who can't have been there originally.

16 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Official Amy Lawn Prediction: 2 nights playing HONY... + WABWAD in full (interval between the two), one in London, one at the Brudenell. Vinyl package of repressing of both records, original masters.

Most 10th anniv of 2008 debut album tours will be stuffed to the rafters with people who haven't seen the band since then; but this one will be stuffed with people who have seen LC! loads on recent tours and largely missed them first time round, with some OGs.

Wouldn’t be surprised at them doing something at Clwb Ifor Bach given their history 

Anyone else off to Friendly Fires tour? Got a ticket yesterday for the Brixton Academy tonight. 

Am bang up for it now. Great venue and always good live.

Also turns out they've gone off in some crazy psychadelic direction with Weatherall relatively recently, which sounds v good:

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

Anyone else off to Friendly Fires tour? Got a ticket yesterday for the Brixton Academy tonight. 

Am bang up for it now. Great venue and always good live.

Also turns out they've gone off in some crazy psychadelic direction with Weatherall relatively recently, which sounds v good:

While it’s still their most recent output, that tune is a few years old and I’d expect it to be a one-off. I’d welcome that shift in direction though, their albums sound a fair bit dated now so they probably have to do something. Didn’t cop any tickets to upcoming shows as they’ll likely be everywhere over the next few years - Glastonbury inclusive - but looking forward to being able to see them.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

While it’s still their most recent output, that tune is a few years old and I’d expect it to be a one-off. I’d welcome that shift in direction though, their albums sound a fair bit dated now so they probably have to do something. Didn’t cop any tickets to upcoming shows as they’ll likely be everywhere over the next few years - Glastonbury inclusive - but looking forward to being able to see them.

Not too sure which way they are going, though this made me think they are sticking with this direction:

"When asked in July 2012 by NME about their future direction, Macfarlane stated that the trio have no intentions of writing another pop record like Pala. They have been working with producer Andrew Weatherall and so far, they have come up with some dramatically different results to the band's usual output. Speaking to NME at Poland's Open'er Festival, Macfarlane said, "The music - the way we're writing and the style of it - is very different to anything we've done before; I think we're still learning to write music in a different way. We want to write something long and expansive and drawn-out and, I suppose, a bit more psychedelic." Macfarlane also confirmed that the tracks would definitely be released at some point, most probably under the band's name, "even if it is totally weird, psyched out, eight-minute long jams, we're still gonna call it Friendly Fires." "

///

Guess I'll find out tonight!

I was also in the 'will see at fests camp' - but my mate offered me a spare for £25 and I just thought 'sod it'. Looking forward to it though.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Not too sure which way they are going, though this made me think they are sticking with this direction:

"When asked in July 2012 by NME about their future direction, Macfarlane stated that the trio have no intentions of writing another pop record like Pala. They have been working with producer Andrew Weatherall and so far, they have come up with some dramatically different results to the band's usual output. Speaking to NME at Poland's Open'er Festival, Macfarlane said, "The music - the way we're writing and the style of it - is very different to anything we've done before; I think we're still learning to write music in a different way. We want to write something long and expansive and drawn-out and, I suppose, a bit more psychedelic." Macfarlane also confirmed that the tracks would definitely be released at some point, most probably under the band's name, "even if it is totally weird, psyched out, eight-minute long jams, we're still gonna call it Friendly Fires." "

///

Guess I'll find out tonight!

I was also in the 'will see at fests camp' - but my mate offered me a spare for £25 and I just thought 'sod it'. Looking forward to it though.

It's an old quote but aye, we'll find out soon enough!

Can anyone report back about the Jarvis Cocker shows? His tour ends this weekend and I've seen nothing about it. New songs?

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It's an old quote but aye, we'll find out soon enough!

Can anyone report back about the Jarvis Cocker shows? His tour ends this weekend and I've seen nothing about it. New songs?

He played like 11 songs, four of which were from the previous records and one was His n Hers. Rest were new songs which were cool. Dark, synthy, dancey. He's still fucking funny. Good gig. 

He got a good review in the Guardian the other day 

17 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

He played like 11 songs, four of which were from the previous records and one was His n Hers. Rest were new songs which were cool. Dark, synthy, dancey. He's still fucking funny. Good gig. 

He got a good review in the Guardian the other day 

16 hours ago, cdm22 said:

Saw him last week too and managed to grab a set list. New stuff was all good and he really is a great front man.

29542011_10156297250151340_4004666864040915843_n.jpg

Great stuff. Glad it was good. Fingers crossed that the tour is still going by next summer.

4 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

how was it? the 3 new songs they've been playing sound quite funky. I've never been to a Friendly Fires gig that hasn't been great fun.

Really enjoyed it. Always thought they had loads of percussion all of the time, but it turns out often the drummer is doing all the heavy lifting on his own. Very impressive.

They mainly just played the first two albums and the new songs blended right in. The crowd were well up for it. Am sure they will be all over the festivals - and that's a pretty perfect place to see them really.

• Upvote 1

Killing Joke 40th anniversary tour announced a few days ago.

11/02 – Nottingham, UK @ Rock City
11/03 – Leeds, UK @ O2 Academy
11/04 – Newcastle, UK @ Northumbria University
11/06 – Glasgow, UK @ Barrowland
11/07 – Manchester, UK @ Manchester Academy
11/09 – Birmingham, UK @ The Institute
11/10 – Bristol, UK @ O2 Academy
11/11 – Southampton, UK @ Guildhall
11/13 – Cambridge, UK @ Corn Exchange
11/14 – Norwich, UK @ UEA
11/16 – Oxford, UK @ O2 Academy
11/17 – London, UK @ Roundhouse

11 hours ago, Homer said:

“One day we’re gonna live in Paris, I promise, I’m on it”

29793434_10155086520497581_3092557700739891200_o.jpg

Brings back fond memory of going to a pre-first album FF show during gsce year, smuggling in our own K cider. A trainee teacher from school was there and tried to make friends with us the next day like a massive perv. 

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Brings back fond memory of going to a pre-first album FF show during gsce year, smuggling in our own K cider. A trainee teacher from school was there and tried to make friends with us the next day like a massive perv. 

I must have seen them around that time for the first time. NME tour below Glasvegas and White Lies and above Flo and the Machine.

Actually, the line up is now 100% upside down as to where those bands would sit on the bill if they toured now!

Edited by Homer

Got the Cider Spiders tomorrow night. Local lads who split up around 10 years ago. Doing tomorrow to raise money for one of them who’s done a play called “ Pylon “ about the possible links to cancer from pylons that used to run through the estate where most of the boys grew up. Gig sold out.

The play is excellent and I think it’s headed for Edinburgh festival.

I remember seeing them at Wickerman and live at Loch Lomond back in the day but sadly it didn’t work out. Too much good times.

Their old album now on Spotify I gather.

32 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Going to be in London on the 23rd and 24th of May. Any gig recommendations? So far I'm looking at Os Mutantes and Sparks

I saw Sparks in September and they were great, so I'll definitely vouch for them. If you're not very familiar with them, then I recommend starting with Kimono My House and Propaganda. They're two pretty much perfect albums that both came out in the same year. They do a good mix of everything across their career so expect recent stuff too. Their album Hippopotamus from last yesr went down really well. I'm not super keen on the whole thing but what they play live is good.