Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

1 hour ago, slash's hat said:

Just a question...is the lucky dip sale that the stones had specific to axs or a general thing? Never heard of it before.

Actually got a pair myself somehow to the London stadium gig.  Still not really sure what happens. 

“I don’t think that sort of thing does much good for artists. I always cringe a little bit when you hear about bands going around just touring on a kind of anniversary record. I feel that it just seems a little bit cynical.” - Kele Okereke

Silent Alarm is one of my favourite albums of all time, but a tour for it without it even being an anniversary and with half the original band is kinda tragic. I'll still have a quick look at how much it costs to get to Brussels later.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

“I don’t think that sort of thing does much good for artists. I always cringe a little bit when you hear about bands going around just touring on a kind of anniversary record. I feel that it just seems a little bit cynical.” - Kele Okereke

Silent Alarm is one of my favourite albums of all time, but a tour for it without it even being an anniversary and with half the original band is kinda tragic. I'll still have a quick look at how much it costs to get to Brussels later.

Devastating self-own there but tbf you'd change your tune too if your new stuff was as bad as Hymns. 

• Upvote 1

I struggle to hold it over him. I would expect that most bands hate the idea of old-album-in-full tours (albeit usually silently) and there’s a sad resignation behind deciding to do them. But I think it can be a pretty good springboard for going forward for bands like this; I’m sure Interpol will have a pretty successful tour next time around after having jogged fans’ memories with the brief Bright Lights tour last summer.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I struggle to hold it over him. I would expect that most bands hate the idea of old-album-in-full tours (albeit usually silently) and there’s a sad resignation behind deciding to do them. But I think it can be a pretty good springboard for going forward for bands like this; I’m sure Interpol will have a pretty successful tour next time around after having jogged fans’ memories with the brief Bright Lights tour last summer.

I'm not arsed about the quote either, just found it a bit funny. But at least Interpol could dress it up as the 15 year anniversary tour as a "reason" to do it. This is literally the "nobody will come and see us again if we don't promise to play old stuff" tour.

I've seen this Bloc Party lineup a few times now and I don't think I'm gonna forgive them for playing about 70 minutes in Manchester last February, and then playing 3 songs extra in London a few nights later. I saw Kele in October too and he did like an hour, if that. It's like he thinks "hmmm, what's the absolute shortest set I could get away with playing here?" beforehand. 

50 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Devastating self-own there but tbf you'd change your tune too if your new stuff was as bad as Hymns. 

Embarrassed to say I was so desperate to like Hymns that I had myself convinced it was pretty good for a while. God there is some absolute dross on there. Hopefully they wrap it up after this tour and finish for good, or come back with the proper band in a few years.

A few other gigs announced today:
Animal Collective playing Sung Tongs in full @ Troxy, London; 12/06

Thom Yorke @ Edinburgh, London, Manchester; 07,08,10/06 respectively

Marmozets @ O2 Forum, London; 19/10

Jeff Lynne's ELO @ The O2; 21/10

Flight Facilities UK tour announced tomorrow based off their Twitter

48 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I'm not arsed about the quote either, just found it a bit funny. But at least Interpol could dress it up as the 15 year anniversary tour as a "reason" to do it. This is literally the "nobody will come and see us again if we don't promise to play old stuff" tour.

I've seen this Bloc Party lineup a few times now and I don't think I'm gonna forgive them for playing about 70 minutes in Manchester last February, and then playing 3 songs extra in London a few nights later. I saw Kele in October too and he did like an hour, if that. It's like he thinks "hmmm, what's the absolute shortest set I could get away with playing here?" beforehand. 

Embarrassed to say I was so desperate to like Hymns that I had myself convinced it was pretty good for a while. God there is some absolute dross on there. Hopefully they wrap it up after this tour and finish for good, or come back with the proper band in a few years.

Idk it’s just an arbitrary number isn’t it? Interpol’s was a fifteenth anniversary. Is there a rule that things can only be celebrated in five year intervals? And Bloc Party must wait... two more years? Has to be said there’s a tough task for the new rhythm section as Gordon and Matt took that album to another level really

Can’t see them finishing after this. There’ll at least be one more album and festival run. Reckon they’ll hit the festivals pretty hard next time after playing one(?) UK festival show on the last album.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

And Bloc Party must wait... two more years?

Got a lot of time for this. B)

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Can’t see them finishing after this. There’ll at least be one more album and festival run. Reckon they’ll hit the festivals pretty hard next time after playing one(?) UK show on the last album.

I'd happily see them again at a festival, but can't see any of the majors wanting them, and even yr Kendal Callings and Y Nots etc are gonna be offering slots about 3rd down main at this point I reckon. It'll all be a bit sad. Maybe this Silent Alarm stuff will boost their profile up a bit but can't really see it.

5 hours ago, Odessa said:

He sounded like a total buffoon saying it in the first place because it's not always a cynical cash-grab, sometimes it's bands who are still creatively fertile just revisiting a piece of work they made in the past. Now he sounds like a buffoon saying it because he's gone and done it himself.

Lessons for Kele to take away would be keep his mouth shut and stop trying to eek out the last bits of life from the rotting corpse of Bloc Party.

Worth 2 minutes of your time at the bus stop:

Lorde's US tour has flopped – but it might be the making of herLorde isn’t the only major pop artist who has struggled to fill arenas in the US recently. Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey and Ellie Goulding have all played to less-than sold-out rooms; Jay-Z’s 4:44 tour was his highest grossing solo tour, but had low ticket sales, while forthcoming tours by Smashing Pumpkins and Taylor Swift are reportedly not the sellouts that had been expected. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/mar/19/lorde-us-tour-flops-pop-career

Prices for Lorde's tour were insane in the US from what I saw. They were nearly £40 here which was on the high end but I think they were circa double that for Americans. 

Run The Jewels was a bizarre choice of support too so I doubt that helped. We got Khaled over here. Although I'd much rather see RTJ, in terms of a Lorde support act it's clear who the better choice is.

9 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Prices for Lorde's tour were insane in the US from what I saw. They were nearly £40 here which was on the high end but I think they were circa double that for Americans. 

Run The Jewels was a bizarre choice of support too so I doubt that helped. We got Khaled over here. Although I'd much rather see RTJ, in terms of a Lorde support act it's clear who the better choice is.

Well, as it says in the article, the album flopped yet amassed some huge critical acclaim. So Run the Jewels and Mitski probably suited that result more than getting some up and coming pop sensation that’s about to overshadow her.

I’m inclined to believe that it’s to do with the rise in streaming and that the abundance of music doesn’t foster an interest in artists that begs listeners to see them live at a local b’ball arena, particularly now that the charts are dominated by interchangeable rappers with twenty minutes of material to their names. But in Lorde’s defence (which I’m not normally jumping to) she played over a dozen and even headlined a few festivals in North America last summer so it’s not like she’s purely failed to bring punters in.

On 15/03/2018 at 8:54 PM, Homer said:

London Troxy Belle and Seb tickets are currently £26 inc fees instead of £39 on Viagogo. I just grabbed two for sat night (they’re playing Friday too).

first time and I beat Viagogo. That site doesn’t half ham it up with the fake drama!

Just on way back from Liverpool Philharmonic fantastic.  Good to finally get 1st gig of the year in but as ever they were brilliant