Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

From Rough Trade: 

"Did you know that Jarvis Cocker is playing some concerts in caverns and tiny clubs around the UK later this month?

Following a succesful one-off show at Sigur Ros’ festival in Iceland at the end of last year the band wanted to present what they are doing to a domestic audience. The musicians involved are:

Jarvis Cocker – singing
Serafina Steer – harp, keyboards
Emma Smith – violin
Andrew McKinney – bass
Adam Betts – drums

Most of the songs are new but some will be familiar.

It’s probably best if you come along and see for yourself."

21 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I would usually agree with you but with Taylor, Katy and Rih on the decline (and two of those almost certainly off the circuit in June 2019 anyway), that would require someone new suddenly climbing to Pyramid headliner heights in the next nine months or less. Unless Dirty Computer takes off, that feels incredibly unlikely given the high bar women have to hurdle in order to operate at that level in the music industry, so Beyoncé it is. And tbh I think the argument against repeat headliners is a bit counter-productive when the artist in question is Ms Knowles anyway, even before the fact she's totally reinvented herself and put out her best material since last doing it.

You've hit the nail there, definitely. All four of them have had diminishing commercial returns, but Beyonce' artistic stature has never been stronger.

Given Swift's propensity for playing most of - if not all - her new record with three or four old tracks at shows, Reputation would not exactly bolster... er, the reputation. KP's ship sailed a long time ago; if we're not considering Biffy Clyro as an option, I'd say they're at a similar level now, so a no-go.

Rihanna's an interesting one, because I never saw her as much of an album seller in the first place - so unsure whether she is in earnest decline or not.

22 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It'll be 8 years....

To answer both of these last lines, the repeat-headliner argument is coming from a love of giving others their shot. I wouldn't be adverse to her booking - especially since, as you point out, it's been eight years - but given that there's arguably a stable of around fifteen or so prospective headliners who've never topped the bill who could have a crack, I'd like to blood as many Pyramid-topping newcomers as possible. Given it's a guarantee sell-out every year, I don't see the harm in that. 

If that makes sense? Hope I've phrased it well enough...

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Given it's a guarantee sell-out every year, I don't see the harm in that. 

The counter-argument to this, of course, is that they've set themselves a standard they need to meet each year to keep the instant sell-outs going. People buy tickets expecting at least two big hitters so they've worked their way into a corner in terms of blooding newbies - they couldn't, to use your 15 as an extreme example, get away with five straight years of three 'new' headliners and still expect to sell out in half an hour. 

Btw I dunno if I completely buy into this argument but I do think its a good point that they set themselves high standards and that does probably lean away from pushing untested acts into headline slots. 

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

If the many people touting Coldplay to be on in 2020 are right I think it's time to drop the idea that Glastonbury bothers giving people a leg up instead of going for repeat-headliners. 

Coldplay are probably the biggest ticket-selling band on the planet, tho. If you accept them being an anomaly, Muse are the only band to have done it twice in the last ten years. Considering in the 90s Pulp headlined twice in three festivals(!), it's not really an issue worth wasting any breath on.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Coldplay are probably the biggest ticket-selling band on the planet, tho. If you accept them being an anomaly, Muse are the only band to have done it twice in the last ten years. Considering in the 90s Pulp headlined twice in three festivals(!), it's not really an issue worth wasting any breath on.

Arctics have done it twice too

Saw DFA at Glasto 2k15 and thought they were pretty meh, but prob cos I was too hyped for Kanye to appreciate anything that wasn't Kanye. Tonight they were good though and I think I only recognised Nomad.

At The Drive-In were siiiiickkk. Obviously. One of my favourite sets ever. Especially Napoleon Solo, Invalid Litter Dept and 198d.

15 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Muse have done it 3 times in 10 years I think 

17 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

The counter-argument to this, of course, is that they've set themselves a standard they need to meet each year to keep the instant sell-outs going. People buy tickets expecting at least two big hitters so they've worked their way into a corner in terms of blooding newbies - they couldn't, to use your 15 as an extreme example, get away with five straight years of three 'new' headliners and still expect to sell out in half an hour. 

Btw I dunno if I completely buy into this argument but I do think its a good point that they set themselves high standards and that does probably lean away from pushing untested acts into headline slots. 

That is a good point too, but of those fifteen, a few are already going to be proven. So, say your headliners are Fleetwood Mac, Kendrick Lemar and Taylor Swift, you've got three new headline acts there that makes for a great bill.

But then replicating it would be a problemo so your point does stand. :) 

I can't help but feel Taylor Swift's moment may have passed, for now at least.  Maybe just me not paying attention but I feel like this album campaign hasn't had quite the effect 1989 did. Maybe when her UK tour arrives things will change but I feel like 2015/16 would have been her best years to headline. 

Don't get me wrong, no matter when/if she does headline, it will be big news. Just feel it could have been more monumental if it was before now. 

8 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Headlining off the back of 1989 would have been the biggest time to do it, yeah. That said, whether people believe it or not, her stock just isn't gonna decline in the same way as say Katy Perry or Lady Gaga.

Yeah don't get me wrong, she's not dropped to that level by any means. Can't ever see her taking a 3rd down Pyramid slot a la Perry. 

6 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Nowhere else to post this but have to say that Paak’s performance last night was top drawer once again. If there’s any justice in the world he’ll be headlining the biggies in a few albums time.

Ended up not going in the end because bus prices had gone up since I got tix and I've almost bottomed out my overdraft. Well gutted.

The place went up when Dre came on. Dropped the intro for Next Episode at the same part of the set as he did at Glastonbury so I just expected Paak just to be singing/rapping over it… then got drenched in beer when Dre arrived.

No surprises with the setlist – thought we may have got a few more new tracks, was even hoping for a few tracks off Compton later in the show (to hear them play Animals or All in a Days Work together would have been immense). 

One of the best gigs I've been to in a long time. Saw him at Parklife last year and the crowd were going for it but last night was something else.

He came on 45 minutes late and played for about an hour but it was all he needed. He played an unreleased song where he raps for most of it and the exit music was another unreleased track. Great stage set-up and Dr. Dre standing 10m in front of me was pretty special. Could've done with some Venice cuts but I'm not complaining 

Edited by finn_with_1_n