Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

50 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

only know about them because of the entry in Ruth and Martin's Album club, which equally made me want to investigate and avoid them at the same time.

Thanks for this - I had never heard of  Ruth and Martin's Album Club before and have just spent the last 30 minutes on there instead of working.

28 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Good to see confirmation that David Byrne and Massive Attack are active next summer as well. Now if someone could just get everyone decent on one bill... 

as a big Byrne fan and knowing he';d be touring for a while (since those south american dates came out) I've been trying to think which fests in the UK he might play.

It's a difficult one, cos he probably has a bigger fee than tickets he'd sell for a festival if headliner (cos I'm far from sure he'd be a big ticket shifter for any fest).

So I always end up coming back to womad for him, as the festival where he's a great fit and where the sales aren't particularly driven by the acts on the bill.

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

as a big Byrne fan and knowing he';d be touring for a while (since those south american dates came out) I've been trying to think which fests in the UK he might play.

It's a difficult one, cos he probably has a bigger fee than tickets he'd sell for a festival if headliner (cos I'm far from sure he'd be a big ticket shifter for any fest).

So I always end up coming back to womad for him, as the festival where he's a great fit and where the sales aren't particularly driven by the acts on the bill.

Green Man and EOTR again. Latitude maybe, second stage headliner. Field day?

32 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Green Man and EOTR again. Latitude maybe, second stage headliner. Field day?

Blue Dot? 

6 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Blue Dot? 

I'#d considered that one, and concluded that if From The Fields are booking him I'd expect that to be for KC before Bluedot, where I reckon he'd sit well below a headliner and not be a risk for tickets shifted.

As I say, i don't really think Byrne is really a ticket-shifter for festivals (but perhaps i'm entirely wrong about that).

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'#d considered that one, and concluded that if From The Fields are booking him I'd expect that to be for KC before Bluedot, where I reckon he'd sit well below a headliner and not be a risk for tickets shifted.

As I say, i don't really think Byrne is really a ticket-shifter for festivals (but perhaps i'm entirely wrong about that).

Agree that he isnt a big ticket shifter but my choice of festival this year will be based on his appearance on the bill! hoping for green man, EoTR or Blue Dot but if you are right, WOMAD it will be!

46 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

As I say, i don't really think Byrne is really a ticket-shifter for festivals (but perhaps i'm entirely wrong about that)

I'm pretty rubbish at working out which artists will shift tickets, but i saw David Byrne in 2009 when he was touring the Brian Eno collaborations and although it was a great gig with quite a few Talking Heads numbers the 2000 person Southampton Guildhall was no where near full. 

Although he always seems to be involved in projects I don't think he has done too much since to raise his profile with the masses apart from the St Vincent album a couple of years ago, but i could be very wrong.

Womad would definitely work for me though as i fully intend to go for the first time this year whoever is playing 

Edited by tjamest

18 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

Agree that he isnt a big ticket shifter but my choice of festival this year will be based on his appearance on the bill! hoping for green man, EoTR or Blue Dot but if you are right, WOMAD it will be!

yeah, it's pretty likely that I'll be chasing him too.

Memory from in the crowd last time he played (as just him) a UK festie - as headliner (Big Chill, I forget the year now):-
group of people dancing in front of me, aged around 20-ish, all dancing away, looking like they're having a great time. Bloke turns round to his friends and says "who's this, again?"

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, tjamest said:

I'm pretty rubbish at working out which artists will shift tickets, but i saw David Byrne in 2009 when he was touring the Brian Eno collaborations and although it was a great gig with quite a few Talking Heads numbers the 2000 person Southampton Guildhall was no where near full. 

Although he always seems to be involved in projects I don't think he has done too much since to raise his profile with the masses apart from the St Vincent album a couple of years ago, but i could be very wrong.

I saw him three times on that tour - Bristol and London (both sold out), and the Big Chill (which didn't). Of the many times I've seen him he looked the most comfortable with playing older stuff, which was nice ... and the set-list had nearly all of the best old stuff in it too. :)

His fan-base are mostly of an age and demographic where they want creature comforts and convenience, and not the slog of a fest - which is why I reckon he's not a fantastic festie ticket-shifter (I'd put Queen fans in a similar 'not festival' bracket, too).

On 14/11/2017 at 1:27 PM, tjamest said:

Thanks for this - I had never heard of  Ruth and Martin's Album Club before and have just spent the last 30 minutes on there instead of working.

They put the best of them Into a book if you like something to hold (madam). 

Martin's preamble to each review is a thing of beauty. I think his bit on The Hold Steady is my favourite bit of music writing, ever.