Green Man Festival 2018

Chawk

12 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

So, thinking of making this my Glasto Replacement Festival this year. I notice information is a little thinner on the ground for this fest. Regarding camping; this is one of the biggest talking points / decisions at Glastonbury - is there anything approaching the same level of planning required at Green Man? Which camping ground? Which car park? How far from car park to camping spot? How far from camping spot to arena? Does anywhere flood? How large a tent to take? Etc.

I debuted my Fresh 'n' Black tent at Glastonbury this year, but was thinking of taking a large 4 men tent to share with my girlfriend to Green Man. I figured if we were close to the car, and there's lot of space for camping (as opposed to Glasto) then me might be able to travel in a little more style and comfort this year, with warming tent carpets, a living area, porch etc. Especially as we wouldn't need to take as much booze (due to it being forbidden in the arena).

What are your experiences with camping at Green Man?

We've always camped close to the main stage (2 minute walk) and there has always been plenty of space, but to get close with a 4 man you should get there early on the Thursday. There are a couple of hills to negotiate back to the Orange Car Park (15 (ish) minute walk), but nothing too taxing.

You are not meant to, but no one stops you taking alcohol in. I have only been asked once to decant my can into a cup as I was in a bar. If you don't want to carry it then they have 100 welsh ales in the beer tent.

And it will definitely rain for at least 75% of the festival.

• Upvote 1

On 19/01/2018 at 3:58 PM, Fearless_Fish said:

So, thinking of making this my Glasto Replacement Festival this year. I notice information is a little thinner on the ground for this fest. Regarding camping; this is one of the biggest talking points / decisions at Glastonbury - is there anything approaching the same level of planning required at Green Man? Which camping ground? Which car park? How far from car park to camping spot? How far from camping spot to arena? Does anywhere flood? How large a tent to take? Etc.

I debuted my Fresh 'n' Black tent at Glastonbury this year, but was thinking of taking a large 4 men tent to share with my girlfriend to Green Man. I figured if we were close to the car, and there's lot of space for camping (as opposed to Glasto) then me might be able to travel in a little more style and comfort this year, with warming tent carpets, a living area, porch etc. Especially as we wouldn't need to take as much booze (due to it being forbidden in the arena).

What are your experiences with camping at Green Man?

The camping snakes around the arena, so you're never very far away. I reckon max would be 15-20 mins but most spots are less than 10. It's definitely worth getting there early on thursday as the spots do fill up, but it's nowhere near as big a deal as at glasto. As a rule of thumb, the later you get to the fest, the further you have to walk from the car park. 

But yeah bring as much booze as you want your bags aren't checked as you go into the arena and nobody cares once you're in there. The beer is excellent though as someone mentioned. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Cheers for the advice. Now following the above advice the question is do I take a big tent AND booze..... ;)

BTW - does anyone have a map from previous years so I can get an idea of the layout? There's not one on the official website.

Google 'Green Man Festival Map' and click on Images.

That Cambridge Folk Festival line-up looks bloody righteous though. Alas it does most likely take the sisters Söderberg out of the running for Green Man, but it's cast my eye upon Cambridge as a possibility for another summer festival I can actually go to (taking the Glastonbury fallow to dedicate May, June and July to training to become a kick-ass bounty hunter, so August and September are my only options). Heaven taketh away and heaven sendeth.