Jump to content
OG

T minus & counting 2019

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

@Yoghurt on a Stick and @oneeye - I once worked in a Virgin Megastore. I had the dubious title - 'Head of Metal' but was often on the ticket section. I used to spend all my wages in the shop so in many ways I was an ideal employee. :D True fact - every Christmas we got an updated version of Richard Branson's biography as a bonus. Oh the perks...

 

Metal - another genre I just don't get - at all. When I hear it it really does jangle my nerves. My brother in law (who used to be a friend at school also) is well in to it though. He and a couple of his kids came to stay with us not the Xmas just gone, but the one before. He drove me nuts because he insisted on putting some of his metal stuff. I really did find it intolerable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Metal - another genre I just don't get - at all. When I hear it it really does jangle my nerves. My brother in law (who used to be a friend at school also) is well in to it though. He and a couple of his kids came to stay with us not the Xmas just gone, but the one before. He drove me nuts because he insisted on putting some of his metal stuff. I really did find it intolerable.  

My misspent youth. :D However, back then Virgin's definition of Metal was essentially anything that wasn't mainstream Pop or RnB. I think there were only five categories of music in the shop. So when, in the early 00's, there was a break out of pop-punk, emo etc. it all fell under the same bracket. So essentially Metal was just alternative, so it was misleading! Biffy Clyro were under the metal section!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

@Yoghurt on a Stick and @oneeye - I once worked in a Virgin Megastore. I had the dubious title - 'Head of Metal' but was often on the ticket section. I used to spend all my wages in the shop so in many ways I was an ideal employee. :D True fact - every Christmas we got an updated version of Richard Branson's biography as a bonus. Oh the perks...

 

Perfect job there vl, nothing so glamorous down here in Devon, Woolworths was the only record shop, hence the trips to London Virgin Mega store. 

Punk came first for me Yogs, new wave and cross dressing came much later! it came at a time where music was crying out for change, it was exciting times.

Today my musical tastes vary considerably, mainly due to a combination of this site and festivals; I still think I’m 23 and not 53 most days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oneeye said:

Today my musical tastes vary considerably, mainly due to a combination of this site and festivals; I still think I’m 23 and not 53 most days!

I'm also 53, but think that I'm older most days! One of the first records that I ever bought was The Rubetts singing Sugar Baby Love. I'm not really sure if my knowledge and appreciation of music has advanced much since. Just in case you missed it;

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my, The Rubettes, and there's me feeling guilty about the 1st record I bought below. I remember the cool kids parading round school proudly displaying Ziggy Stardust album & the Stones Sticky Fingers whilst I went and bought this - 

a81c66f719660a3fe6896125b8346df2--pulp-f

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since it’s confession time...

My first vinyl was 

my first gig was

I once saw Alvin Stadust in Pantomime in a lovely old theatre in Plymouth, staring alongside Norman Wisdom; the sheltered, innocent life I lead back then.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, whisty said:

Oh my, The Rubettes, and there's me feeling guilty about the 1st record I bought below. I remember the cool kids parading round school proudly displaying Ziggy Stardust album & the Stones Sticky Fingers whilst I went and bought this - 

a81c66f719660a3fe6896125b8346df2--pulp-f

 

It's alright whisty, I went to the AA for about two years, so I know how these things work. It starts with admitting to yourself that you have a problem. 

The above said, I mean how could you - Alvin Stardust!? Have you no shame at all? How on earth can you, essentially, let the whole world that!? lol

Anybody remember Sweet. Loved this song, and have always been pleasantly pleased every time that I have heard it since it's heyday;

 

Actually. I'm going to post this on another thread too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×