T minus & counting 2019

OG

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’ll be HMS Broadsword there gf, virtually brand new when she went to the Falklands in 82. Eventually sold to the Brazilian Navy 20 odd years ago now.

Some beauties posted over the past few days, loving the old nostalgic campervans.

Gone for a lorry today

img_2246.jpg

7 hours ago, oneeye said:

That’ll be HMS Broadsword there gf, virtually brand new when she went to the Falklands in 82. Eventually sold to the Brazilian Navy 20 odd years ago now.

Some beauties posted over the past few days, loving the old nostalgic campervans.

Gone for a lorry today

img_2246.jpg

Yea that's right old son.. You a navy man.. I should have said that doh 

maxresdefault.jpg

9 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Yea that's right old son.. You a navy man.. I should have said that doh 

I was a navy man, 82 - 07, have many friends who were involved in the Falklands and more recent conflicts. Poignant day indeedy yesterday..accab73c3b16fde20eaa4f22e8a2a156.jpg 

Back on track, today’s offering, 2 wheels only :)

Edited by oneeye

1 hour ago, oneeye said:

I was a navy man, 82 - 07, have many friends who were involved in the Falklands and more recent conflicts. Poignant day indeedy yesterday..accab73c3b16fde20eaa4f22e8a2a156.jpg 

Back on track, today’s offering, 2 wheels only :)

Agree old son... 

1 hour ago, whisty said:

In the days when they built lamp posts to last!

16709bed367b75bf16d048e20d7129d2--police

There. Right there. There it is. A fantastic and beautiful example of over engineering - I suspect!  

Excellent - the metal pole used up more metal than was necessary to keep a light in the air, the pole may even have had concrete within it, it certainly went down some distance, and had a fab enclosing concrete block of a foundation. Hence the reason why it wasn't going anywhere. 

On the structural mechanics side of things, my first 'proper' job was at an architectural practice kind of thing. There was one bloke there who was Birmingham City Council's structural engineer when they proposed the building of the Rotunda (see below, in case you don't know what it is);

New_Street_Station_and_Rotunda_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1601399.jpg

It was this bloke's job to declare that the structural mechanics involved were up to scratch etc. As an aside, part of his involvement was ensuring that the foundations were to specification. He told me (and I hadn't known this before) that there was a sub terranean 'river' running under Birmingham, and that this bastard thing was washing away pile driven foundations as fast as they could send them down. He said that eventually there was a kind of clog up of these piles, and that they were then able to build the building.

Then guess what? The IRA bombed the Rotunda in the 1970's. Anyway, apart from the shit we got at the time for being an Irish family, there was another outcome. This was that somebody had to decide whether the building should be knocked down, or if it was still structurally sound. You've guessed it, it was this bloke they sent in to make that decision. And he went in. And he declared the building structurally sound. And the building is still standing today. And, I don't know how that man was able to drag his big hairy bollocks from A to B. I mean, how would you like it if your boss said to you, just nip over to that bombed out building and declare it safe wont you? 

He also taught me an invaluable lesson in the stupidity of having internal rain water run off systems. Don't worry, I'll spare you the full details.