T minus & counting 2019

OG

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/4/2017 at 8:44 PM, guypjfreak said:

As you may know we salute our brothers, fathers and grandparents that fought in the wars to keep us free, especially now so near to remembrance day.. 

I hope you all got poppies.. 

HistoryWWII1941-43 28 Daily Mirror El Alamein.jpg

download.jpeg

Hello guy,

I do salute those who laid down their lives for our freedom in both World Wars. I just have a problem with warfare per se. I guess, unlike a lot of people on here, I wasn't really exposed to bereavement shock waves from either World War. My parents come from the West Coast of Ireland, and the people there were, to a degree, sheltered from the ravages of the World War's. That's said, there incidences, where they took in sailors whose ships had been torpedoed etc. Here's one example from the village of Portmagee, where my mom comes from;

Survivors of another Greek freighter, the Eleni Stathatos — which was sunk 90 miles southwest of Fastnet Rock on the night of January 28, 1940 — endured a much greater ordeal. They got off ship on two lifeboats, but one of those was destroyed when it got caught up in the sinking ship's propeller. Colleagues in the other boat rescued all of them, leaving the one boat seriously overcrowded with 33 survivors.

All were soaked and it was bitterly cold. "The crew slowly declined into a state of hypothermic madness," according to Mark McShane. Within a couple of days two survivors died of exposure and were dropped overboard. A further 11 died during the next two days before their lifeboat was spotted by fisherman Michael Casey. He gathered some colleagues to investigate. Seeing the 20 survivors lying in a heap at the bottom of the lifeboat, they towed it into Portmagee, where the survivors had to be carried into the village.

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello guy,

I do salute those who laid down their lives for our freedom in both World Wars. I just have a problem with warfare per se. I guess, unlike a lot of people on here, I wasn't really exposed to bereavement shock waves from either World War. My parents come from the West Coast of Ireland, and the people there were, to a degree, sheltered from the ravages of the World War's. That's said, there incidences, where they took in sailors whose ships had been torpedoed etc. Here's one example from the village of Portmagee, where my mom comes from;

Survivors of another Greek freighter, the Eleni Stathatos — which was sunk 90 miles southwest of Fastnet Rock on the night of January 28, 1940 — endured a much greater ordeal. They got off ship on two lifeboats, but one of those was destroyed when it got caught up in the sinking ship's propeller. Colleagues in the other boat rescued all of them, leaving the one boat seriously overcrowded with 33 survivors.

All were soaked and it was bitterly cold. "The crew slowly declined into a state of hypothermic madness," according to Mark McShane. Within a couple of days two survivors died of exposure and were dropped overboard. A further 11 died during the next two days before their lifeboat was spotted by fisherman Michael Casey. He gathered some colleagues to investigate. Seeing the 20 survivors lying in a heap at the bottom of the lifeboat, they towed it into Portmagee, where the survivors had to be carried into the village.

That's a great story especially as you can relate to the place with your mum etc. There were a lot of instances of people going out of the way to help even risking their lives one I quite like is the German submarine captain that after sinking a ship stopped to pick up survivors and as there were too many to fit in The sub he had them on top as well.... Even in life boats. 

War is horrible that I have no doubt my brother was in the Falkland war and had an injury of which he died about twelve years after.... He had a lot of fun in those years..... Anyway I in no way want to glorify war or it's impact but I DO believe that it should not be forgotten on any forum... Glastonbury was all CND at one time.. 

Hey we'll have to meet up one day and have a good chat about it all. Hey shit we could even invite whisty we always have good discussions when we meet.. Unfortunately he likes my mate Mark at the moment and can be quite hard to track down cos he's always doing something or other lol:P

Best wishes to you and the misses old son. 

Guy. 

Hey old son just looked at  portmagee  absolutely beautiful..... 

Peace and tea. G

Edited by guypjfreak
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

That's a great story especially as you can relate to the place with your mum etc. There were a lot of instances of people going out of the way to help even risking their lives one I quite like is the German submarine captain that after sinking a ship stopped to pick up survivors and as there were too many to fit in The sub he had them on top as well.... Even in life boats. 

War is horrible that I have no doubt my brother was in the Falkland war and had an injury of which he died about twelve years after.... He had a lot of fun in those years..... Anyway I in no way want to glorify war or it's impact but I DO believe that it should not be forgotten on any forum... Glastonbury was all CND at one time.. 

Hey we'll have to meet up one day and have a good chat about it all. Hey shit we could even invite whisty we always have good discussions when we meet.. Unfortunately he likes my mate Mark at the moment and can be quite hard to track down cos he's always doing something or other lol:P

Best wishes to you and the misses old son. 

Guy. 

Hey old son just looked at  portmagee  absolutely beautiful..... 

Peace and tea. G

Hello guy,

Sorry to hear about your brother. 

Yes, it would be good to meet up, at a festival preferably. I've bought tickets to BoomTown for next year, and for the much smaller Something Else in the Dean Festival. Have  you booked any / going to any? 

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello guy,

Sorry to hear about your brother. 

Yes, it would be good to meet up, at a festival preferably. I've bought tickets to BoomTown for next year, and for the much smaller Something Else in the Dean Festival. Have  you booked any / going to any? 

Not at the moment old son.. Don't be sorry about me brother he had a great time.. They gave him a year to live and he had a good eight before he went down hill but yea he had fun.. Use to dress up in birds clothes and go shop lifting.. Just for stupid things so that when he got caught he'd say.. What you going do I'll be dead next month... Fuck knows why but he thought it was hilarious.. He also did lots of things we would call a bucket list.. Bless him lol 

10 hours ago, OG said:

Look596_152.jpg

Ha ha took a while to find number there old son.. A little distracted lol 

Is this politically correct I mean men have lost there job for touching knees lol. 

Just joking that a great post and better than cars and war.. Let's have 595 day of this lol

Happy Wednesday all. G

3 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Not at the moment old son.. Don't be sorry about me brother he had a great time.. They gave him a year to live and he had a good eight before he went down hill but yea he had fun.. Use to dress up in birds clothes and go shop lifting.. Just for stupid things so that when he got caught he'd say.. What you going do I'll be dead next month... Fuck knows why but he thought it was hilarious.. He also did lots of things we would call a bucket list.. Bless him lol 

I'm glad to hear that he had a great time. I can see the funny side of dressing up in womens clothes and going shop lifting. Now, don't get me wrong in that I have no desire to dress up in womens clothing. However, and I've said this before, I'd like to walk from the top of Kings Heath High Street in Birmingham to the bottom, wearing this kind of thing;

Image result for blow up gimp mask

I'd just love to see how people reacted. One of my brothers makes short films (he is deadly serious about breaking in to the film business, but hasn't had any success, so to speak of) and I pitched the proposal to him that I buy one of those rubber blow up suits and that he film me walking down the high street wearing it. My proposal to him would be that he would covertly record footage of people's reactions. To cut a long story short he turned down my kind offer to publicly humiliate myself for his art! To  be fair, I was drunk at the time that I made the offer, but a certain part of me feels that I should make that film myself.

I tell you what though - that bloke above must get invited to some interesting parties. :)

2 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

Festival wear perhaps?

595 Glasto countdown.jpg

You know what I said about having no desire to dress up in womens clothes, I was, of course, lying. I'll race you to that outfit JacquelineS. On your marks, get set, go. Seriously though that is fab outfit. It's odd really, because I actually have just bought a womens dress, which I picked up from the Postal sorting office this morning. It's a bright red clean cut dress, with sleeves like those which wizards have. I showed it to my wife and she loves it, apart from it being red, which she doesn't wear. It was around this point that I informed her that it wasn't for her anyway, but for one of the mannequins. It would appear, somehow, that I have ended up with approx 18 mannequins, of all ages and sexes. Anyway, I'm going to create a piece of art with everyone of them - which is where the red dress comes in.

I have even invested in two trapeze artists swings recently. The idea is to have one mannequin stuck to one trapeze, and another stuck to another trapeze,  and have them reach each other, where once again, I will stick them in to place. Then the idea is to have them hanging off two separate trees in the rear garden ie up in the air, presenting a visually challenging piece of work. I had actually just wanted to buy the bang on appropriate rope, make a noose with it, and hang one of my fully clothed mannequins from it off a tree. It was pointed out to me that this may not be the way to ingratiate myself in to the town that I have newly moved to. 

I think I'm rambling now, and have no idea what was going on when I first started this post, so had better stop, here. As in that full stop, back there. Oh dear, I can see where this one's going. Fortunately I have the local lunatic asylum on speed dial.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whisty said:

Mr Yoghurt, you have good advisors, stick to the Trapeze, wouldn't mind that in my neighbours garden for sure :)

latest?cb=20130308052023

Hello whisty,

The thing is that I only have one immediate neighbour, and he's already said that he doesn't give a fuck what I get up to in our garden. In fact, he's got two human sculptures in his own garden, which he made himself, and, get this, displayed along side Anthony Gormley's stuff. So, it's not him that I would worry about. The situation is that there's a very little used public pathway within site of the rear of the garden. It would only take someone to walk down there, see a stiff hanging from the tree, and call the police. That would mean them calling at the house, possibly finding either me or my wife stoned, and getting us on that angle. So, it is with heavy heart that I am going to have to shelve that idea. That said, there are timber beams in the top bedroom of the house, which I could hang a mannequin off. May run it by my wife to see if she's up for a mannequin hanging over her while she's in bed doing her crosswords. :)

21 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You know what I said about having no desire to dress up in womens clothes, I was, of course, lying. I'll race you to that outfit JacquelineS. On your marks, get set, go. Seriously though that is fab outfit. It's odd really, because I actually have just bought a womens dress, which I picked up from the Postal sorting office this morning. It's a bright red clean cut dress, with sleeves like those which wizards have. I showed it to my wife and she loves it, apart from it being red, which she doesn't wear. It was around this point that I informed her that it wasn't for her anyway, but for one of the mannequins. It would appear, somehow, that I have ended up with approx 18 mannequins, of all ages and sexes. Anyway, I'm going to create a piece of art with everyone of them - which is where the red dress comes in.

I have even invested in two trapeze artists swings recently. The idea is to have one mannequin stuck to one trapeze, and another stuck to another trapeze,  and have them reach each other, where once again, I will stick them in to place. Then the idea is to have them hanging off two separate trees in the rear garden ie up in the air, presenting a visually challenging piece of work. I had actually just wanted to buy the bang on appropriate rope, make a noose with it, and hang one of my fully clothed mannequins from it off a tree. It was pointed out to me that this may not be the way to ingratiate myself in to the town that I have newly moved to. 

I think I'm rambling now, and have no idea what was going on when I first started this post, so had better stop, here. As in that full stop, back there. Oh dear, I can see where this one's going. Fortunately I have the local lunatic asylum on speed dial.

I tried to reply yesterday but for some reason the forum would not let me. First off Mr. Yogurt,  you are a fascinating person. Secondly, I have to agree that costume is awesome. As far as your mannequins go what about rigging them in arial silk. Well it would not have to be actual arial silk but it would look cool.  

Arial silks.jpg

• Upvote 1