T minus & counting 2019

OG

On 14/10/2017 at 11:24 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Aah, the good old days. Just look at the metal poled ridge tents. I had a one which lasted about 7 or 8 of my first Glastonbury's. I really got attached to that tent  as it had been on those Glastonbury campaigns with me. I actually felt guilty replacing it!

Anyway, here something that might interest you with regard to your mini registration number WJD 146M. If you click on the following link, you'll see another mini not far off your registration, that was used in a Doctor Who episode;

http://www.jannaludlow.co.uk/Classic_Minis/Dr_Who.html

what a super find - thanks for the link - the guy on the right claimed he had to sit at the front - all in there was 4 of us - so all of a sudden everyone wanted to sit in the front - trust me I nearly came close to leaving the 3 of them on the street as I just wanted to get away 

I used to own a mk1 lotus Cortina but it was always getting stolen and I got so pissed off I switched to Minis - when they banged up the double fence { there was a big gap between the two } - the WBC Campsite { where I was parked } at that time { early 90's } used to be near the circus field and it was possible to get security to open up the gate - we were warned our mini would not make it but I thought we would give it a try - amazingly we got round passing a security Landrover stuck in the track - I knew some of them in that Landrover and they just could not believe it - we even stopped to offer assistance !!! - funny enough none of them could appreciate the joke - it was a hairy drive but we made it and in a bog standard mini. { true it was not a very wet year - I am not that daft }

yes I love that shot of the old tents - not that I would ever camp there because that is near drug alley and there was always jokers falling over tents - stuff that. 

I used to like the old site - sure there was not loads of stages but at least you could move about without having to get a lift in a chopper as I find the current site far too big .

thanks again for the mini link - I have never seen that before.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

what a super find - thanks for the link - the guy on the right claimed he had to sit at the front - all in there was 4 of us - so all of a sudden everyone wanted to sit in the front - trust me I nearly came close to leaving the 3 of them on the street as I just wanted to get away 

I used to own a mk1 lotus Cortina but it was always getting stolen and I got so pissed off I switched to Minis - when they banged up the double fence { there was a big gap between the two } - the WBC Campsite { where I was parked } at that time { early 90's } used to be near the circus field and it was possible to get security to open up the gate - we were warned our mini would not make it but I thought we would give it a try - amazingly we got round passing a security Landrover stuck in the track - I knew some of them in that Landrover and they just could not believe it - we even stopped to offer assistance !!! - funny enough none of them could appreciate the joke - it was a hairy drive but we made it and in a bog standard mini. { true it was not a very wet year - I am not that daft }

yes I love that shot of the old tents - not that I would ever camp there because that is near drug alley and there was always jokers falling over tents - stuff that. 

I used to like the old site - sure there was not loads of stages but at least you could move about without having to get a lift in a chopper as I find the current site far too big .

thanks again for the mini link - I have never seen that before.

Hello glasto-worker,

Nice tale about your adventure with the mini. 

Yes, I agree with you about the size of the festival being too big now. I don't think that I'll ever be going back to Glastonbury. Thanks to vintagelaurette (off efests) I did get a ticket to go this year, which was to be my Last Fandango at the festival. In the end though I just couldn't leave my wife at that time and go away to a festival. I knew that I wouldn't have enjoyed it without her (she didn't have a ticket, or want to go).

So, that's it. I'm hanging up my Glastonbury spurs. They say that you should never say never, but I'm comfortable with not going again now. The festival has only ever provided me with good times (even in the very heavy mud years), and I think that I'll quit while that's the case. :)

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello glasto-worker,

Nice tale about your adventure with the mini. 

Yes, I agree with you about the size of the festival being too big now. I don't think that I'll ever be going back to Glastonbury. Thanks to vintagelaurette (off efests) I did get a ticket to go this year, which was to be my Last Fandango at the festival. In the end though I just couldn't leave my wife at that time and go away to a festival. I knew that I wouldn't have enjoyed it without her (she didn't have a ticket, or want to go).

So, that's it. I'm hanging up my Glastonbury spurs. They say that you should never say never, but I'm comfortable with not going again now. The festival has only ever provided me with good times (even in the very heavy mud years), and I think that I'll quit while that's the case. :)

sorry to read that - I know what your on about but you never know something may
change your mind.

all the people who used to go with me in the early 80's just dropped off one by one
- I used to be a Boy Scout so I was used to camping - I am sure I would have given it up as well but then I joined the WBC so all of a sudden I was part of a large gang
- some of my Team has been with me 20+ years and some come and go and then return again. 

Certainly if I had to go though the ticket scrum I would have called it a day long ago - even now I dip in and out - it takes someone really special for me to make the effort to get to a stage ' even if its dry conditions '

have two B/W images - Bud is the guy with the hat - just look at the space between tents - you don't see that these days - Sadly I just could not take Bud on the Team
as he would not have liked the shift system - he would have never have got it.Volunteers have to be dependable. 

9047_o.thumb.jpg.7084bcd35c3d6b5237c0031f8e9ea9e2.jpg44110_o.thumb.jpg.8edba462907b97b7277b809db5829419.jpg

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

sorry to read that - I know what your on about but you never know something may
change your mind.

all the people who used to go with me in the early 80's just dropped off one by one
- I used to be a Boy Scout so I was used to camping - I am sure I would have given it up as well but then I joined the WBC so all of a sudden I was part of a large gang
- some of my Team has been with me 20+ years and some come and go and then return again. 

Certainly if I had to go though the ticket scrum I would have called it a day long ago - even now I dip in and out - it takes someone really special for me to make the effort to get to a stage ' even if its dry conditions '

have two B/W images - Bud is the guy with the hat - just look at the space between tents - you don't see that these days - Sadly I just could not take Bud on the Team
as he would not have liked the shift system - he would have never have got it.Volunteers have to be dependable. 

9047_o.thumb.jpg.7084bcd35c3d6b5237c0031f8e9ea9e2.jpg44110_o.thumb.jpg.8edba462907b97b7277b809db5829419.jpg

Is that you on the right?

I know what you mean about the need to have reliable people for shifts. Some people I know help to run one of the free Lock Ups on behalf of Friends of the Earth. One day a lad I knew who was meant to be on shift at the Lock Up slept in, and so didn't turn up for his shift. Not the thing to do. The lady who heads the team (who I also know) found out, got a couple of other volunteers, and walked over to his tent. Two of them reached in to his tent and pulled on each of his legs and pulled him out of his own tent, with him still half asleep. As his whole body emerged, the team leader threw a whole bucket of cold water over him. It was a message,  and the only warning that he was going to be given. It was a case of do that again and you are off the team, and no more guaranteed entry to the festival.

On 17/10/2017 at 7:36 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Is that you on the right?

I know what you mean about the need to have reliable people for shifts. Some people I know help to run one of the free Lock Ups on behalf of Friends of the Earth. One day a lad I knew who was meant to be on shift at the Lock Up slept in, and so didn't turn up for his shift. Not the thing to do. The lady who heads the team (who I also know) found out, got a couple of other volunteers, and walked over to his tent. Two of them reached in to his tent and pulled on each of his legs and pulled him out of his own tent, with him still half asleep. As his whole body emerged, the team leader threw a whole bucket of cold water over him. It was a message,  and the only warning that he was going to be given. It was a case of do that again and you are off the team, and no more guaranteed entry to the festival.

love the lock up story - yes it is me on the right in that B/W image - this image was taken yesterday { the other two are on my Team and they fly in from Iceland just to volunteer } - we were planning how many days they need to book their Hotel for { a bit more complicated next year as we all have Roger Waters tickets for Friday 6th July } so they can work at latitude 2018.

Over the Years as a authorised organiser I built up a network and during that time team Members could vouch for friends - rather than tossing them in at the deep end I would filter them by taking them to smaller day events and that allowed me to see how they reacted - trust me if a person has never worked in a bar and on the very first shift they have a sea of faces 20/30 deep it is daunting but I was able to show them how to avoid problems - checking ID is a right pain so by getting them to serve older people they avoided needing to ask for ID and when I had time I would go over and we would pick someone really young so that I could show them how to check properly - its real ' in house training ' -

I would also show them how to cover themselves as jokers would claim they handed over a £50 when in fact it was £20 - by holding the note up and walking while still holding it up the built in CCTV would catch this so there can be no doubt it was a £20 note - some were not as confident as others so I would pull them back and train them on how to operate the MDU { multi dispense unit } - it bangs out 12 pints at a time - the trick is to only ' pour on demand ' - I go nuts in a bar if I spot a table { not controlled by any of my Team } full of pints and the bar is nearly empty - I will hunt down the team leader and tell them they have to sort it out - by meeting new Team Members face to face I can explain what a weekend event is like and what is expected from them and what benefits they get - its a bloody good deal but I am not going to stand for people who cant be bothered to show up for shifts just because they got pissed the night before - if someone gets really wasted all they have to do is call me and I can jiggle people about ' provided they give me enough time ' - its very rare but I have moved shifts about just so they are sober by the time they start their shift - they know the score and they know I would be  teletubbie upset if they call me two minuets before their shift starts -

Being Dependable and honest is the two top qualities - when I first started it was a 8 hour shift and I had no way to pick what shifts I did - these days due to my long service ' I get to pick what shifts my Team does ' so they can work out amongst themselves who does what shift ' and the shifts some days may only be 4 hours and other days its 6 hours - if there is any longer shifts I will do them myself and if I need others I will ask for volunteers but its very rare although when I started it was common to end one 8 hour shift only to be asked to do a second shift that day - that is very rare these days as they have access to a lot more volunteers so some Teams will be on standby and they may not have to work at all -

some years at Glasto the shifts can be 6am to noon - noon to 6pm - 6pm to Midnight - Midnight to 6am and everyone on my Team could pick the shift that suited them best - in return they get free transport to the event - a cracking secure site with all the facilities they need - two free drinks and a very cheap bar and two meals a day - Christ sake they should pay me for a place.   

3.thumb.jpg.820aab375ae3c5085659b25fed0913fc.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

love the lock up story - yes it is me on the right in that B/W image - this image was taken yesterday { the other two are on my Team and they fly in from Iceland just to volunteer } - we were planning how many days they need to book their Hotel for { a bit more complicated next year as we all have Roger Waters tickets for Friday 6th July } so they can work at latitude 2018.

Over the Years as a authorised organiser I built up a network and during that time team Members could vouch for friends - rather than tossing them in at the deep end I would filter them by taking them to smaller day events and that allowed me to see how they reacted - trust me if a person has never worked in a bar and on the very first shift they have a sea of faces 20/30 deep it is daunting but I was able to show them how to avoid problems - checking ID is a right pain so by getting them to serve older people they avoided needing to ask for ID and when I had time I would go over and we would pick someone really young so that I could show them how to check properly - its real ' in house training ' -

I would also show them how to cover themselves as jokers would claim they handed over a £50 when in fact it was £20 - by holding the note up and walking while still holding it up the built in CCTV would catch this so there can be no doubt it was a £20 note - some were not as confident as others so I would pull them back and train them on how to operate the MDU { multi dispense unit } - it bangs out 12 pints at a time - the trick is to only ' pour on demand ' - I go nuts in a bar if I spot a table { not controlled by any of my Team } full of pints and the bar is nearly empty - I will hunt down the team leader and tell them they have to sort it out - by meeting new Team Members face to face I can explain what a weekend event is like and what is expected from them and what benefits they get - its a bloody good deal but I am not going to stand for people who cant be bothered to show up for shifts just because they got pissed the night before - if someone gets really wasted all they have to do is call me and I can jiggle people about ' provided they give me enough time ' - its very rare but I have moved shifts about just so they are sober by the time they start their shift - they know the score and they know I would be  teletubbie upset if they call me two minuets before their shift starts -

Being Dependable and honest is the two top qualities - when I first started it was a 8 hour shift and I had no way to pick what shifts I did - these days due to my long service ' I get to pick what shifts my Team does ' so they can work out amongst themselves who does what shift ' and the shifts some days may only be 4 hours and other days its 6 hours - if there is any longer shifts I will do them myself and if I need others I will ask for volunteers but its very rare although when I started it was common to end one 8 hour shift only to be asked to do a second shift that day - that is very rare these days as they have access to a lot more volunteers so some Teams will be on standby and they may not have to work at all -

some years at Glasto the shifts can be 6am to noon - noon to 6pm - 6pm to Midnight - Midnight to 6am and everyone on my Team could pick the shift that suited them best - in return they get free transport to the event - a cracking secure site with all the facilities they need - two free drinks and a very cheap bar and two meals a day - Christ sake they should pay me for a place.   

3.thumb.jpg.820aab375ae3c5085659b25fed0913fc.jpg

I can see that you run a very tight ship glasto-worker. I really wouldn't want to miss a shift if I was working for you! I prefer to be on the other side of the bar, in any case! That said, I have had one bar tending experience when I was about 13 (yes 13!). It was in my uncles pub on the west coast of Ireland. I recall asking if I could have a go. It was a lazy sunny day and I really enjoyed serving. That said, it was hardly busy, at that time of day, so it was all very relaxed. I'd really hate to have to work a busy bar. Talk about stress.

I'm impressed that two of your team come all the way from Iceland. 

14 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I can see that you run a very tight ship glasto-worker. I really wouldn't want to miss a shift if I was working for you! I prefer to be on the other side of the bar, in any case! That said, I have had one bar tending experience when I was about 13 (yes 13!). It was in my uncles pub on the west coast of Ireland. I recall asking if I could have a go. It was a lazy sunny day and I really enjoyed serving. That said, it was hardly busy, at that time of day, so it was all very relaxed. I'd really hate to have to work a busy bar. Talk about stress.

well its a double edge sword - if a bar is dead busy time flies past but we don't have time to chat to anyone - if its quiet things can really drag on but we do have time to speak to the customers.I have been to a event where they have had 25% No shows - this was caused by a rule change within the wbc - they linked up Glastonbury and latitude so a Team could only bid if they were willing to work at both - so Teams claimed they wanted to work at both but 25% failed to show up at Latitude - this really caused a major problem and I had to lend out 5 of my team - even senior WBC Officials ended up serving - sadly I missed it as I could not leave my Bar { it was only the tent Manager and I that ran that bar that night } but I would have loved to see them - people I  know who have not poured a pint in 25+ years - now that would have made a great few shots -

they even flew over Irish Teams who should have been working at Longitude Festival { demand had dropped down due to the bad weather so they were not needed at Longitude } - it was clear what had happened and all these # smart teams # were barred from ever working again at any event + they added extra rules to stop anyone from trying it again - the WBC don't take a up front deposit from individuals but they will impose a fine { think its £250 per person } that will offset a teams earnings ' if they fail to show up at a event ' - so now not only do they get barred they don't earn any money either. its the highest amount of no shows I have ever seen but ' they were all new teams ' - even now this does affect things as the WBC is dead reluctant to take on new teams  

it took me years to persuade my Icelandic friends as I knew they would love it but they were reluctant to work as they were worried they would miss so much - I arranged for them to get a pass for Hop Farm 2008 - they had already bought their tickets but the pass allowed them access at the back so I could show them how it worked and was able to take them to the crew camping area - anyway it worked and they first volunteered at Glasto 2009  and they are now kicking themselves they did not join years ago

Not only that ' we were also able to claim another WBC Record ' - he is the very first Chief of Police who has ever become a WBC Volunteer.{ yes its true - he is Chief of Police of Keflavik district { that includes Keflavik International Airport } - 

its only a matter of time before a Icelandic resident shows up at a UK event and spots him { although we tend to work the crew Bars }

I also have a female from Finland who has been on the Team for Years although she only tends to work at Latitude.

sadly I missed Latitude this year so I did not see the workers faces when they were faced with three Scandinavians { well from the Nordic countries } - that must have baffled the hell out of them - Up to then my Icelandic friends have only worked at Glastonbury - so it must have felt like a Nordic invasion made even better because the workers were puzzled why I was missing.

95_n.thumb.jpg.02a3872e8f0c88a63f04c125a7629521.jpg7393_n.thumb.jpg.0db058b27db593a5f05d6f0d86345869.jpg

21 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

At least they'll know how to serve an ice cold beer - Boom Boom :wink:

14 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

If the diagram doesn't explain the concept of energy dissipation at surfaces for you, then here's some bedtime reading for you;

http://web.mit.edu/vvgroup/gconstantinides-2009.pdf

Good work Yog, took me 3 seconds to start snoring.

615, best I can do Mini related -  

item_2643698_615.jpg

Edited by whisty
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

If the diagram doesn't explain the concept of energy dissipation at surfaces for you, then here's some bedtime reading for you;

http://web.mit.edu/vvgroup/gconstantinides-2009.pdf

Struth that would have been a nightmare to read all the way through.... But thanks old son.. You nutter 

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Struth that would have been a nightmare to read all the way through.... But thanks old son.. You nutter 

If you think I'm a nutter,  then you should meet one of my friends. He actually reads stuff like that for entertainment. I once caught him reading a book on holiday. I thought to myself 'he's never reading a novel'? It turns out that I was right - he was reading a book which was just maths (sums) from the start of the book until the end. 

Anyway, I have another 615;

Image result for no 615 + mini car