Murder at Bestival

Matt42

Got back from Bestival yesterday feeling like the festival was a bit meh

Wake up ths morning to hear news of a murder happening on the final night

Attending Bestival this year made me realise how well run Glastonbury is, and how lucky we are to have a festival like this amongst others. I know we get crime at Glastonbury but nothing to this scale...

Sorry to link the Daily shite, but for anyone wanting more details

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4872462/Man-arrested-death-woman-Bestival.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Edited by Matt42

39 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Well that's just fucking horrible. Wonder what could've possessed the guy to do such a thing at a festival?! I'd assume this can't bode well for Bestivals already questionable future.

It sounds like they had already had a very challenging festival, and one by most accounts they handled remarkably well (especially when compared against events like Y Not etc), but as you say this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

In all fairness, I'm not really sure how Bestival could've prevented this? If somebody has that inclination, they'll do it, unless they find there were substances involved that specifically contributed to what happened. Still absolutely appalling to hear, RIP to the individual's family and friends. Nobody should go to a festival and not come back.

Edited by alexmckenzie

9 minutes ago, Spindles said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-41227732

It has been widely reported by a number of sources that the arrest was for suspicion of murder.

With suspicion being the relevant word not murder, the police have explained the reason for the arrest - to interview under caution, if they interviewed him informally and it turned out he was responsible that evidence may be challenged, seems to me the arrest is a procedural thing rather than proof she was murdered. (doesn't mean she wasn't either). Very sad in any case.  

1 minute ago, alexmckenzie said:

In all fairness, I'm not really sure how Bestival could've prevented this? If somebody has that inclination, they'll do it, unless they find there were substances involved that specifically contributed to what happened

I still don't see how that comes back on Bestival. Shit happens, and can happen anywhere, unfortunately.

Dreadful, whatever. :(

15 minutes ago, alexmckenzie said:

It sounds like they had already had a very challenging festival, and one by most accounts they handled remarkably well (especially when compared against events like Y Not etc), but as you say this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

In all fairness, I'm not really sure how Bestival could've prevented this? If somebody has that inclination, they'll do it, unless they find there were substances involved that specifically contributed to what happened. Still absolutely appalling to hear, RIP to the individual's family and friends. Nobody should go to a festival and not come back.

Totally agree with this. I was there and the rain and wind was awful, coupled with the hilly site making it difficult to get around but this can't be avoided. They delayed opening Sunday to get hay down and did their best to get it back open, but then had to shut arena for an hour due to the wind making it dangerous. I would definitely return again I felt it was handled very well and preferred the site to the IoW one.

Also the fact someone has sadly died/been murdered shouldn't reflect on Bestival. As mentioned this could have happened anywhere 

If the chap who was arrested supplied the drugs then it was probably procedure to arrest him, and he most likely wouldn't have objected. The 'murder' word does seem to be used by the papers just fishing for readers. I'm sure if this is the case he feels terrible enough without being branded with such negative words. 

Tragic death, hopefully more festivals can react to provide testing in order to prevent more in the future.

3 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

One report mentioned that there were some particularly 'dodgy' pills available there.

Without going into details, unfortunately that's been a theme of the summer this year (moreso than previous years). Given what's been going around, it's amazing that this is the first death.