Tramlines 2018

deejayone

No early thread for next year's Tramlines Festival in Sheffield yet?

Well, opportune timing because it appears that organisers are trying to move it out of Sheffield City Centre and out to Hillsborough Park in the northern suburbs of the city from next year:

http://www.deejayone.co.uk/music/item/84-exclusive-tramlines-festival-to-be-moved-hillsborough-park-2018.html

To be honest the fringe has increasingly been the place to be for Tramlines with exceptional bands on in virtually every bar and venue in the City Centre. Not sure what to make of the proposed move other than it might fragment the traditional Tramlines experience.

(Disclaimer: I researched and wrote that linked post. Nothing actually confirmed about the move yet, but I have spoken to someone at Tramlines and apparently they are preparing a statement 'soon').

9 hours ago, deejayone said:

No early thread for next year's Tramlines Festival in Sheffield yet?

Well, opportune timing because it appears that organisers are trying to move it out of Sheffield City Centre and out to Hillsborough Park in the northern suburbs of the city from next year:

http://www.deejayone.co.uk/music/item/84-exclusive-tramlines-festival-to-be-moved-hillsborough-park-2018.html

To be honest the fringe has increasingly been the place to be for Tramlines with exceptional bands on in virtually every bar and venue in the City Centre. Not sure what to make of the proposed move other than it might fragment the traditional Tramlines experience.

(Disclaimer: I researched and wrote that linked post. Nothing actually confirmed about the move yet, but I have spoken to someone at Tramlines and apparently they are preparing a statement 'soon').

Hmmm

Ive had an interview with the festival director in the past 5 days. That's just been published. 

There are plans for maybe some expansion. Devonshire Green is definitely in the plans for 2018. No acts have been booked yet. Arctic Monkeys are on the (far-fetched) wishlist. 

Ralph is not a Count Of Ten Director anymore.

Edited by craigb

Thanks for the info Craig!

Surprisingly the people I've spoken with there haven't corrected any of those points, opting to just give me the statement in the updated section of the piece. The implication in conversation was that they were considering moving the main parts of the festival to a multi-stage operation at Hillsborough Park (I took this to mean instead of Ponderosa).

There was no comment on other aspects of the festival (Dev Green/Folk Forest) and whether they'd remain or not.

• 2 months later...

This festival has got worse and worse in recent years - binning off the city centre was the biggest mistake it could've done - just to book average headliners. 

I loved tramlines as the intercity festival it was, and I know the fringe still exists, but there is just growing distance between the heart of the event in the city, and the corporate ticket shifting out near Hillsborough now. It's a disconnect that saddens me. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Odessa said:

Are there like any solid rumours about Arctics from people who are slightly in the know or whatever? Or is it just, oh look it's the 10 year anniversary and they've moved sites, must be Arctic Monkeys?

I'm sure there was something a bit more solid, but honestly can't remember what and could be completely wrong.

Just now, Odessa said:

Are there like any solid rumours about Arctics from people who are slightly in the know or whatever? Or is it just, oh look it's the 10 year anniversary and they've moved sites, must be Arctic Monkeys?

Errrmm 50/50

They are playing the UK within two weeks of Tramlines happening... And there is some other info knocking about. Be clearer in Jan 

I've just bought my ticket in the hope of this becoming reality :lol: I've been 2014/16/17 anyway I still have friends up there from Uni, so at the very least it's inspired me to get the early bird price. I'm sure regardless it will be well worth the £30 if the relocation leads to some bigger names.

Without any knowledge at all, I would think if they aren't in the first R+L announcement they aren't there, and that all but confirms some form of 'homecoming' show... but would seem strange to do a stadium when the local festival has just increased to 50,000 capacity, unless they want their usual fee.

Edited by alexlloyd

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked to go here for three reasons:

1) AM might be playing (I'm sceptical :lol:)

2) upping capacity to 40k on their 10th anniversary surely means they have something big planned

3) it's £30. :blink:

Anyone know the latest on the Am thing? From what I've seen, theyre meant to be playing Mad cool, Rock Wertcher  and Trnsmt which means theyre around... 

11 minutes ago, Hawky said:

Anyone know the latest on the Am thing? From what I've seen, theyre meant to be playing Mad cool, Rock Wertcher  and Trnsmt which means theyre around... 

There's lots of stuff going around for tramlines, all of it speculative at its heart as far as I'm aware.

For instance: I heard (can't guarantee it's right) that AMs are not doing R/L, which seems a little odd if they're going to be around ... which does put in mind it's because they have another show in Yorkshire they're more interested in playing.

I'll guess we'll find out soon enough.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

There's lots of stuff going around for tramlines, all of it speculative at its heart as far as I'm aware.

For instance: I heard (can't guarantee it's right) that AMs are not doing R/L, which seems a little odd if they're going to be around ... which does put in mind it's because they have another show in Yorkshire they're more interested in playing.

I'll guess we'll find out soon enough.

There's been a few people saying they know people who work at the festival, and they've been told AM are playing (seen two different people say this)

However, I don't know these people from Adam. 

People are saying that AM will be announcing dates at the end of the month, so i guess we wait.

3 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Do people know when ticket prices go up? Kinda really tempted for this as £30 for Arctics alone seem really good. I assumed it was BS but I have now heard so many different people say it, it's either the best rumour ever at this point or there is some truth behind it...

I would expect the tickets to go up / be on another tier by Early Feb. 

Update:

Don't forget to use efests ticket links when buying - https://www.gigantic.com/tramlines-sheffield-2018-07-20-12-00?affiliate=efestivals

Edited by craigb