Top 5 Performances 2017

eagles69

Top 5:

1. Perfume Genius - stunning performance. Well worth waiting around in the rain for. Will headline in the future I think.

2. Nadine Shah - has upped her game considerably since her last performance two years ago. Really enjoyed the Loud & Quiet interview too. A very engaging character who is not afraid to speak out on important issues. Really funny as well.

3. WH Lung - Rightly getting a lot of love on here. Hard to believe they are so new on the scene. Superb.

4. J.Bernardt - Really got the tipi going early on Saturday. Loads of energy, good songs. One to watch.

5. Nadia Reid - Has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard, and has the songs to match. A real talent.

5.5 (i.e. more than just honourable mention) - TootArd in the tipi for the first extra slot on Saturday night. Was one of those magical End of the Road moments. Not many would have known who they were at the start. We all knew by the end. Really enjoyable.

Honourable mentions:

JC Satan, All We Are, Aldous Harding (the sound bleed was awful though), Ultimate Painting, Pond (drug dickheads all around us was more than a little annoying), Car Seat Headrest (wanted more vocals), John Smith (Father John Smithy!!), Julia Jacklin, RBCF.

Let downs: Goat Girl (had high hopes, just a bit dull), Lowtide (really boring, lost the audience).

Edited by RustySpanner
Typos

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

John Moreland

Ryley Walker

Courtney Marie Andrews

Car Seat Headrest (on the strength of the last ten minutes I heard)

Principal disappointments:

Mega Bog - vague ideas do not a song make

FJM - quite satisfied I didn't enjoy this, since I've found his personality more than quite resistible in all its guises over the years

Lucinda - I'm sure she'll never ever pick such a crap setlist again

Julie Byrne - for reasons previously stated

Bill Callahan - for coming on and playing after I'd become too cold and wet to stay

RBCF - for coming on and playing a secret slot after I'd become too cold and wet to stay

As quite often happens, too many choices, a fair amount of bum picks.

On 9/4/2017 at 1:42 PM, ljsawyer said:

W. H. Lung - Probably the best new band I have seen/heard all year. Hard to believe they are already this good with just one single and a handful of festival shows under their belt. The frontman is electric, really reminds me of a young David Byrne.

good clip (apart from the pole) on you tube:

1. Penguin Cafe 

2. Alvvays (except the sound problems kind of dampened the last song)

3. TootArd secret set. These guys were totally feeding off the audience, it was amazing!

4. W.H. Lung

5. Jens Lekman

I found Slowdive to be kinda disappointing.  I'm a huge fan but they just didn't feel very tight. When they came into Alison it was waaaay too fast and they spent up until the next verse slowing it down. Some of the fills were questionable also. When The Sun Hits was amazing though! 

4 hours ago, schanehonter said:

1. Penguin Cafe 

2. Alvvays (except the sound problems kind of dampened the last song)

3. TootArd secret set. These guys were totally feeding off the audience, it was amazing!

4. W.H. Lung

5. Jens Lekman

I found Slowdive to be kinda disappointing.  I'm a huge fan but they just didn't feel very tight. When they came into Alison it was waaaay too fast and they spent up until the next verse slowing it down. Some of the fills were questionable also. When The Sun Hits was amazing though! 

her dancing put me off 

4 hours ago, schanehonter said:

It actually took me until the first chorus to figure out that they were playing Alison. The verses sounded really bizarre, like a completely different song.

Missed Thursday evening unfortunately and Sunday lunchtime was lost watching the entire series 2 of Early Doors again in a mate's campervan. Top 5;

1) Bill Ryder-Jones - absolute class...it couldn't quite reach the majesty of last year's Garden Stage performance where he somehow managed to top the brilliant Kevin Morby, but I didn't expect it to. 

2) Aaron Lee Tasjan - what a start to the weekend (for those who missed Thursday evening). Brilliant guitarist, love his voice and a genuinely funny endearing character. And Little Movies was one of my favourite songs all weekend. 

3) Bill Callahan - what on earth was I thinking missing the bulk of this for The, albiet excellent, Jesus and Mary Chain. The closing Riding for the Feeling was mesmerising.  I've been playing it all week.

4) Band of Horses - hadn't appreciated how heavy they sounded...enjoyed every moment. I only peeled off during Funeral to catch last 30 mins of Car Seat Headrest (who I've seen a few times before).

5) Waxahatchee - it was bucketing down during the performance which didn't help...but they've got some great songs. I think they played Sparks Fly and 8 Ball back to back. 

Close behind;

Alvvays, Parquet Courts, Car Seat HeadrestJAMC, Michael Chapman, Courtney Marie Andrews

Regret missing these on this occasion (as I'd tagged them all 'green' on clashfinder);

Real Estate, WH Lung, Night Flowers, Nadia Reid, Spook School 

Edited by boom boom

• 4 weeks later...