2017 - How was it for you?

Yokel Again

My second after last year's which I enjoyed very much. Didn't really get going for me until Saturday evening but still had a great time discovering new music. And discovery is what for me EoTR is all about since I don't really make much of an effort rest of year to seek out new music. Had never hear of Pond, Real Estate, Car Seat Headrest, Tootard, Slowdive, or Lucinda Williams until this weekend but very much enjoyed their sets and doing a bit of catching up post-festival I see that they are all established artists. JAMC I had seen before but still impressed with their flawless set. Catching Rolling Blackouts' Tipi set on Sunday night was the perfect finish to the weekend. I forget which performer who commented that this was a music festival for music lovers but he was spot on. Will be back.

• Like 3

People blaming youngsters for spoiling some aspects of the festival - by chatting, chucking the odd plastic glass and err, wearing ill-fitting sweatshirts - should also remember the joy spread by whippersnappers such as Honey Hahs, Let's Eat Grandma and Lemon Twigs. Let's not forget that teens were responsible for some of the weekend's highlights too.   

• Like 2

First time. Absolutely loved it. cleanest, politest and best organised festival i've ever been to. chatting happens i think its something people will just have to expect instead of whining about. Blaming younger people for being dickheads is a bit harsh as well. Theyre having fun and not hurting anyone. Those looking for outrage should head to Reading. Great weekend. Second best UK festival to glastonbury in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, hpants said:

Second best UK festival to glastonbury in my opinion. 

It is my favourite now, Glasto is the biggest and best but EOTR is so much more suitable for me these days.

And I'm sure most of us would recognise that any EOTR gripes are really relatively small gripes!

Really glad you enjoyed it. :-)

7 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

It is my favourite now, Glasto is the biggest and best but EOTR is so much more suitable for me these days.

And I'm sure most of us would recognise that any EOTR gripes are really relatively small gripes!

Really glad you enjoyed it. :-)

I suppose Glastonbury is its own entity and probably shouldn't really be compared with other festivals holistically. But End of the road was very much like the relaxed elements of glasto and is very suited to being at the summers end. The fact it's fallow next year gives me even more of an excuse to return and i cannot wait!

Thursday was good - Brix and Slowdive especially. 

Friday - a bit flat. Shame about the headliners Mac DeMarco overhyped charmless buffoon on the main stage and Lucinda Williams who was hyped to death 30 years ago and not done anything of note since. Pity because the other nights had headliners of note on both stages. Liked the Radio  3 Stuff in the Tipi. 

Saturday - Lemon Twigs were fun until the drummer and singer/guitarist swapped. Car Seat Headrest were majestic. Plastic Markers were a great new band. Ty Segal intense and fun, pity he doesn't have any songs. Saw the Burning Hell on Piano Stage

Sunday - best day despite the rain. Watched the three Erased Tapes acts at the Piano Stage - a unique experience. Was feeling very cold and wet - went back to change, fell asleep, woke to the JMC. Saw Bill Callaghan be magnificent, then Japanandroids be powerful and was still refreshed for the secret shows in the Tipi. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been so busy since getting home that I am only catching up on forum-reading now.

This was my first time at End Of The Road.  I did stewarding, which I enjoyed.  Friday had most of my must-sees and I managed to swap a shift so that I could see everything on the Friday.

Here is my review:

http://www.therockclubuk.com/index.php/festival-reviews/2937-end-of-the-road-festival-larmer-tree-gardens-31-august-3-september-2017

• 8 months later...
On 9/5/2017 at 1:41 PM, juliadevitt said:

I've started to wear ear plugs when down the front, especially if I am at either side. It has the benefit of protecting my hearing but it also muffles chatter noise quite a bit!

Hey @juliadevitt, have you ever considered wearing high-fidelity earplugs? They are reusable and protect your ears but have a music filter inside that doesn't muffle the sound like disposable foam ones.

I run a hearing protection campaign called All Ears. We work with venues and festivals across the UK to help encourage safe listening practices. If you want to know more, you can check out our website below:

https://allearscampaign.com/

21 hours ago, allearscampaign said:

Hey @juliadevitt, have you ever considered wearing high-fidelity earplugs? They are reusable and protect your ears but have a music filter inside that doesn't muffle the sound like disposable foam ones.

I run a hearing protection campaign called All Ears. We work with venues and festivals across the UK to help encourage safe listening practices. If you want to know more, you can check out our website below:

https://allearscampaign.com/

Hi,  as the expert on all these things I bought some Earpeace HD ones and they were very well reviewed but despite following the instructions on insertion, they definitely did muffle the sound so I never used them again.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Hi,  as the expert on all these things I bought some Earpeace HD ones and they were very well reviewed but despite following the instructions on insertion, they definitely did muffle the sound so I never used them again.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

Hi Julia,

Earpeace HD ones are a good product. Unfortunately none around this price range are going to be perfect. The best ones you can get are custom moulded, however these will set you back a couple of hundred pounds!

Any earplugs you wear take some getting used to, so I'd suggest persisting with them for a little longer. I personally found the same when I wore my first pair, however now I feel like certain gigs and clubs are way too loud when I don't have them in - especially in the higher frequencies!

I'd suggest still carrying them with you, but only wearing them when you know feel the gig is very loud. If you're at the back of a concert or it's quiet, then the earplugs will be unnecessary and will only make it sound quieter.

I hope that helps a bit! If you want any more advice or guidance feel free to get in touch with me on here or at john@watchthehype.com.

47 minutes ago, allearscampaign said:

Hi Julia,

Earpeace HD ones are a good product. Unfortunately none around this price range are going to be perfect. The best ones you can get are custom moulded, however these will set you back a couple of hundred pounds!

Any earplugs you wear take some getting used to, so I'd suggest persisting with them for a little longer. I personally found the same when I wore my first pair, however now I feel like certain gigs and clubs are way too loud when I don't have them in - especially in the higher frequencies!

I'd suggest still carrying them with you, but only wearing them when you know feel the gig is very loud. If you're at the back of a concert or it's quiet, then the earplugs will be unnecessary and will only make it sound quieter.

I hope that helps a bit! If you want any more advice or guidance feel free to get in touch with me on here or at john@watchthehype.com.

Wow, that's brilliant advice, thank you so much!

• 1 month later...