Trip Hop - Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Allflaws

Sandy one

Hey,

I am currently exploring trip hop music from all over the globe.

Recently I've been checking out the likes of Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky, Allflaws.  

I would be interested in anyone's suggestions from this genre as I am fairly new to it.

Please post any song, video and link suggestions. I will post some too ;) 

Here is a good start 

Portishead - Wandering Star 

• Upvote 1

Defining music to a genre sometimes causes issues as some define it differently in their personal perceptions. That being the case it can be hard to say where "Trip Hop" starts and ends.........

Anyroad, some may say one thing about an albums genre and others may say another. What I suggest below may or may not be strictly Trip Hop but still tunes/albums worth a spin if not done so already

DJ Shadow - Entroducing

Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight

Look to the Ninja Tune label and well as Mo Wax. The likes of DJ Food, DJ Krush, Wagon Christ, the Psychonauts etc etc are good places to start

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Bit of a fuzzy genre this. When I think of Trip Hop I think of Brizzle. Dummy and Maxinquaye especially... Music inseparable from location.

Discussion on what is or isnt trip hop isn't something I'm interested in. Did giving it a genre title further this music in any respect? I always view the Wild Bunch crew or the MoWax rosters as being offshoots of rare groove/soul/instrumental hiphop acts rather than an easily definable type of music with a hard border.

Does the artist have a Bristol accent? Then thats a "triphop" record. :P

21 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Defining music to a genre sometimes causes issues as some define it differently in their personal perceptions. That being the case it can be hard to say where "Trip Hop" starts and ends.........

Anyroad, some may say one thing about an albums genre and others may say another. What I suggest below may or may not be strictly Trip Hop but still tunes/albums worth a spin if not done so already

DJ Shadow - Entroducing

Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight

Look to the Ninja Tune label and well as Mo Wax. The likes of DJ Food, DJ Krush, Wagon Christ, the Psychonauts etc etc are good places to start

These are amazing. I'm going to check out stuff on Ninja tunes as well.

20 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Bit of a fuzzy genre this. When I think of Trip Hop I think of Brizzle. Dummy and Maxinquaye especially... Music inseparable from location.

Discussion on what is or isnt trip hop isn't something I'm interested in. Did giving it a genre title further this music in any respect? I always view the Wild Bunch crew or the MoWax rosters as being offshoots of rare groove/soul/instrumental hiphop acts rather than an easily definable type of music with a hard border.

Does the artist have a Bristol accent? Then thats a "triphop" record. :P

Yes the stuff I've been introduced to is all from Bristol. Visited there for a weekend and loved the place for music and culture.

7 minutes ago, Sandy one said:

Thanks. My god this track is total bliss. Absolutely love it. 

"beats and b-sides" is a whole album of remixes of their first album.

If you click thru to Youtube from that you should get the whole "beats & b-sides" album.

Or if you PM me, i might be able to help. 

Edited by eFestivals

21 hours ago, windy_miller said:

You need to build yourself a time machine and travel back to Glastonbury Festival 2013 to watch Portishead headline the Other Stage.

One of the most beautiful musical moments I have ever experienced in my life and I still can believe it happened at the Other Stage of all places! Mesmerizing, emotional, life affirming stuff...........

Just now, ThomThomDrum said:

One of the most beautiful musical moments I have ever experienced in my life and I still can believe it happened at the Other Stage of all places! Mesmerizing, emotional, life affirming stuff...........

I missed that.

I did try to see them headline the Acoustic Tent in about 1995, but rather oddly it was utterly impossible to even get thru the gate of the field. :lol:

(I ended up in Cabaret, watching Korky & the Juice Pigs doing piss-take impressions which included Portishead. It might have been more entertaining, cos it was a definite highlight of my 30 years of Glasto).

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I missed that.

I did try to see them headline the Acoustic Tent in about 1995, but rather oddly it was utterly impossible to even get thru the gate of the field. :lol:

(I ended up in Cabaret, watching Korky & the Juice Pigs doing piss-take impressions which included Portishead. It might have been more entertaining, cos it was a definite highlight of my 30 years of Glasto).

I wasn't there in 1995, but one of my mates always used to regale me a tale of him crawling through a hedge to get into the acoustic field to see them :lol:

Portishead at the Other Stage in 2013 is one of my favourite Glastonbury sets of all time.

21 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

An interesting list here to work your way through if looking to get into this "genre". Also an interesting preface to read prior to the list

http://www.factmag.com/2015/07/30/50-best-trip-hop-albums/

There's a few albums on there that I never though of as Trip Hop before, but looking back probably are.

Case in point... Let's Get Killed by David Homes.  Phenomenal stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UncPhOluYtA

Edited by windy_miller

On 9/1/2017 at 2:08 PM, windy_miller said:

Portishead at the Other Stage in 2013 is one of my favourite Glastonbury sets of all time.

Certainly vies for the best thing I've seen on the farm.  An absolutely magical performance I felt privileged to see.  I regularly play the iplayer footage still.

That top 50 list posted earlier in the thread has some corkers in there, Red Snapper are a band well worth checking out.

On 01/09/2017 at 2:13 PM, windy_miller said:

There's a few albums on there that I never though of as Trip Hop before, but looking back probably are.

Case in point... Let's Get Killed by David Homes.  Phenomenal stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UncPhOluYtA

David Holmes. Thanks for this. He's got some great stuff. Loving it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...