Victorious Festival 2018

seanz25

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

OK probs should have checked when they last played IOW before making that comment :P

I dunno, I'm not sure I'd consider it, Bestival or V a "major" festival anymore the same way I consider Glasto, R&L, TRNSMT etc. They've all lost ground (thought that may just because I really hate IOW fest, but the rest are defo shrinking).

Bestival isn't. It shrank.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Not sure that IOW 2017 is the example of a "major festival" you want to use, given the poor attendance this year even after all the half price / BOGOF ticket offers they ran.

Whether a festival is major, mid-sized or small is determined by capacity rather than what people think of it. The capacity of Isle of Wight is still 90,000 I believe - same as Reading.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Whether a festival is major, mid-sized or small is determined by capacity rather than what people think of it. The capacity of Isle of Wight is still 90,000 I believe - same as Reading.

Not sure I follow the logic there. IOW might well still hold a licence for 90,000 people.. But they clearly didn't put together a lineup designed to attract that many people this year - and reportedly sold less than half that many tickets (about 42,000 was the number quoted).

IOW has been a major festival in previous years, and maybe it will be again next year. But it'd be a stretch to say IOW 2017 was regardless of how many tickets they were legally allowed to sell.

18 minutes ago, incident said:

Not sure I follow the logic there. IOW might well still hold a licence for 90,000 people.. But they clearly didn't put together a lineup designed to attract that many people this year - and reportedly sold less than half that many tickets (about 42,000 was the number quoted).

IOW has been a major festival in previous years, and maybe it will be again next year. But it'd be a stretch to say IOW 2017 was regardless of how many tickets they were legally allowed to sell.

But they're categories that are solely to describe capacity. They've never been anything else. I don't understand where the logic is failing.

Even if you think the festival is only worth the amount of people it pulls in, 42k is above the benchmark to be considered a major festival.

Additionally, I don't think whether a festival falls into whichever category matters a jot to the discussion we were having before. Victorious is a major festival but Arcade Fire aren't gonna play it, whereas they likely would play other major festivals and possibly one or two medium sized ones.

Edited by dentalplan

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, thetime said:

I think folk would be a bit underwhelmed with that lucky.

A shed seven/Embrace combo would be nice. :rolleyes:

Dude you know Shed Seven/Embrace are nowhere near the size to headline this right?

Blondie just got off doing an 8 date tour of the UK which included multiple arena dates and 2 nights at Brixton. Shed Seven/Embrace couldn't even do that at their prime! 

Im all for both bands lower down the bill, but I was just trying to brainstorm headliners. 

Blondie are around the same size Madness are IMO. 

All the headliners will be arena acts and the second stage headliners will be around that too I imagine. 

I wouldn't be surprised with a triple of 

Blondie - Snow Patrol - Paul Weller, its gunna be something quite Middle of the road, Heart FM/Absolute Radio friendly. Although those 3 together is a bit overkill, I wonder if Snow Patrol are still big enough to headline this or would they sub now, been away a long time but new album coming out, probably a sub like Travis was 2 years back.  

Then the second stage a bit more current.

I'd love them to get Faithless or Chemical Brothers however, I don't think either are out of reach for this. 

31 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Dude you know Shed Seven/Embrace are nowhere near the size to headline this right?

Blondie just got off doing an 8 date tour of the UK which included multiple arena dates and 2 nights at Brixton. Shed Seven/Embrace couldn't even do that at their prime! 

I wasn’t serious lucky, sheds new album is class though. 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

supposedly the batch of early birds sold out.

I doubt it, they did it last year too, said they sold out and it went next tier then did the announcement not long after. Im not saying it will be today, but I reckon it will be coming soon. Just the Friday, they'll do the Saturday and Sunday next year.

17 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

Decent Friday night headliner for Friday if accurate, for ticket sale rather than my tastes.

Yeah it seemed pretty obvious, especially as Libs played a few of Globals dates this year and they were praising his set loads afterwards.

I've never seen Libertines, when they hit the scene I just never really got into them all that much, it seemed more about what they did off stage and their image rather than the music what people liked.

I saw Pete at Victorious and was ok in places, but was so off his face it ruined it, it was fucking early too, god knows the state he will be in at headliner time! 

The other thing, if they are headlining Friday, it leaves no option but to watch them really, unless they run butserfest stage on Friday too this year. 

Hoping for a decent undercard for Libs anyway.