EOTR Newbie

GG306

First time going to EOTR this year and I have some questions:

1. What time do the bands do soundcheck? Are you able to go and watch? I would love to see Mac Demarco's soundcheck if possible

2. Are there any surprise acts this year? If so, what time and where? Any ideas who it might be?

3. Tent safety: how safe will my tent be? I'm glamping with Honeybells as I don't think I could hack normal camping for four days. I am worried about clothes getting nicked, etc.

4. Any idea when the show times will be released?

5. Tips for catching Buxton's podcast with Mac Demarco? I don't want to miss this but hear the queues for comedy are looooong!

Thanks in advance

1. Woods stage headliners sound check in the morning around 10.30/11. Pretty certain you can watch, or just listen in from the campsite.

2. It's a surprise!! There are some slots in the tipi after midnight. Usually it is people who played earlier in the day doing extra sets. Occasionally bands/artists do surprise slots at the piano stage, and sometimes on the disco ship.

Last year there was also a surprise slot for Wild Beasts and a DJ slot by Jon Hopkins. Not heard of anything like that happening this year so far.

3. Never heard of any problems like this but would suggest you don't leave any valuables in your tent. Friends of the earth do a lock-up facility.

4. This seems to get later and later every year. Tuesday at latest I would hope.

5. No idea I'm afraid.

I've seen/heard a few soundchecks on the woodstage as I pass by late morning. You often see artists wondering around the arena and getting something to eat too.

Follow the 'line of best fit' Twitter a/c for last minute secret set details, also look out for post-it notes around the garden stage area , often on the office window.

it's generally very safe and crime free but it is always wise to hide or store valuables.

Someone posted on the Facebook page that we get the set - times today,  let's hope so.

Enjoy yourself, it's a wonderful festival.

1. The year the Flaming Lips played we stood outside the stage and watched their whole soundcheck, it was amazing! Wayne was really hamming it up, we had a good dance with the kids whilst having a coffee - great fun. It was in the morning, but couldn't say what time - relatively early. 

3. Well, I would guess its as safe as a festival can be - seems to be a very low amount of ****heads, which is what makes the festival great. Had some guy 'fall' on our tent in 2008 or 2010, who apparently was on the rob, but the security got him the next morning - and it was also a very different festival back then, as this was in the 5,000 capacity years. 

11 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

1. The year the Flaming Lips played we stood outside the stage and watched their whole soundcheck, it was amazing! Wayne was really hamming it up, we had a good dance with the kids whilst having a coffee - great fun. It was in the morning, but couldn't say what time - relatively early. 

3. Well, I would guess its as safe as a festival can be - seems to be a very low amount of ****heads, which is what makes the festival great. Had some guy 'fall' on our tent in 2008 or 2010, who apparently was on the rob, but the security got him the next morning - and it was also a very different festival back then, as this was in the 5,000 capacity years. 

Me and my elderly mate had yomped miles  around then, way past the strange structure, in an effort to spare people our despicable emissions, and it all got very eciting as a load of people were dteained by security trying to leg it over a hedge on Thursday. It's the only time I recall anything untoward. There was a few years of increased  dickhead activity as the capacity increased but last year seemed better

On 25/08/2017 at 8:36 AM, ljsawyer said:

Sufjan's soundcheck was almost as beautiful as his actual headline set back in 2015. Hoping to see FJM's this year.

And it drew quite a healthy crowd for a soundcheck.

He was stood in front of us watching a bit of Human Pyramids set, I  think he must of been checking out the brass section as didn't some of them play during his performance?

There were some theft on the Thursday  a few years ago, but it's generally crime free I think. The Honeybells section is overseen by about 6 very friendly but burly blokes, and no is likely to get anywhere near without a wristband, I've seen 'em chuck people out of the queue for showers

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

Popping in with another newbie question - are there any local shops (co-op or the like) in walking distance of the festival?

(if we need to top up on booze)

no, not within walking distance, it is very rural. you'd better bring a bit more! The beer in the arena is good though

Just now, juliadevitt said:

no, not within walking distance, it is very rural. you'd better bring a bit more! The beer in the arena is good though

Ah that's a shame. Any shuttle buses to local villages or anything like that? Only so much I can carry with me and I can't afford festival bar prices.

8 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Ah that's a shame. Any shuttle buses to local villages or anything like that? Only so much I can carry with me and I can't afford festival bar prices.

No shuttle buses. If you bring more, there is a trolley service that is only £5 for half hour, and holds loads of stuff.

• 11 months later...

I've decided to bump this, apologies, but it seemed a waste of time starting a whole new thread for the sake of one question, and this seemed as a good a thread as any, without trawling through. 

Not a newbie; this will be my 7th year ( though not consecutively, missed the last 2 after a horrendous gallstone attack caused an earlier leaving in 2015) but I am in a newbie situation as this will be the first year with a young (9 month) child in tow. 

So my question is this - I know that you can't have pushchairs etc after a certain time in the Garden stage/Woods but does that apply to the Big Top too? Can't see anything about it so presuming not. Obviously would be right at the side and away from the entrances if I did actually go in there with a pushchair, and no intention of seeing any later bands, more just a wonder really. 

We've got a sling too, and have no intention of trying to get into the Tipi with a pram, have no fear. It's already enough of a squeeze in there with just people, never mind all the blankets, children, accessories etc, and I've got no intention of adding to that! 

2 hours ago, robith said:

Something as a potential n00b I've been unsure off - i know you used to be able to take stuff into the arean like booze and that? Sounds like the campsites are for sleeping and while i'm a man of means £6 pints will bankrupt me

Yeah, you can bring booze into the arena, no problem with that. I think they don’t let you bring glass in, that’s all

16 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, you can bring booze into the arena, no problem with that. I think they don’t let you bring glass in, that’s all

sweet. gonna bring some fancy assed red wine (plastic bottle will help air it)

Has the contactless revolution hit EOTR? Or is it advisable to take a wedge

1 minute ago, robith said:

sweet. gonna bring some fancy assed red wine (plastic bottle will help air it)

Has the contactless revolution hit EOTR? Or is it advisable to take a wedge

Wedge. Though there are one or two cash machines onsite.