Acts you don't "get"

DareToDibble

1 hour ago, BlackHole2006 said:

There's a band that keeps on appearing on my Facebook newsfeed called Cigarettes After Sex.

It looks and sounds they have perfected the edgy, reverb drenched indie rock style and it annoys the piss out of me. More to do with style then actually writing decent tunes. 

It sounds like you completely get them.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BlackHole2006 said:

There's a band that keeps on appearing on my Facebook newsfeed called Cigarettes After Sex.

It looks and sounds they have perfected the edgy, reverb drenched indie rock style and it annoys the piss out of me. More to do with style then actually writing decent tunes. 

I saw them at Primavera this summer and they're probably the most boring live band I've seen. I'm not really a fan on record but it just doesn't work live at all.

On 11/09/2017 at 4:51 PM, Alex DeLarge said:

Have to go with Explosions in the Sky, they just don't grab me at all.

Perhaps this doesn't apply if you've already seen them live but for me I liken them to Sigur Ros because their songs are instrumental, experimental and full on compositions rather than songs really. But anyway I only really 'got' it when I saw them each live. Both completely mesmerising to watch. Love em since.

Now listen to them chiefly when studying/working for long periods of time, especially Sigur Ros' live albums. Its interesting enough to keep me going, not so interesting (with hooks, riffs etc) as to distract me from my task.

Seriously guys, the fucking state of this

Like the sort of thing that goes viral after getting 4 red X buzzers in an X-Factor audition.

Same shit monotonous delivery on every fucking song, same w*nky 6th form band lyrics, voice is just silly as fuck. Literally the worst thing I've seen my life.

29 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Like the sort of thing that goes viral after getting 4 red X buzzers in an X-Factor audition.

Same shit monotonous delivery on every fucking song, same w*nky 6th form band lyrics, voice is just silly as fuck. Literally the worst thing I've seen my life.

Calm down April 

53 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Can't agree more. Some spoken word goes well over beats (see scroobius pip) but this just seems like the beats detract from the message  

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I hear u totally can't believe the love she gets on the forum absolute bollocks ....maybe not the worst thing I've ever heard but right up there 

12 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Until this moment I had never heard anything by Kate Tempest. And from this moment I will never listen to anything from her again.

Shit. Baffled.

Fucking love that film, and got mad love for watching it in the theatre. One time saw a touring stage production made for big stages but in Manchester they was performing in a smol venue in the round, and what ensued was them all bellowing in the audiences' faces and fake blood squirting on people in the front row. A grand old time in was.

14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Fucking love that film, and got mad love for watching it in the theatre. One time saw a touring stage production made for big stages but in Manchester they was performing in a smol venue in the round, and what ensued was them all bellowing in the audiences' faces and fake blood squirting on people in the front row. A grand old time in was.

Incredible stuff.

On 27/08/2017 at 4:03 PM, Apone said:

Florence and the Machine's toe curling rendition of the beautiful You got the Love by Massive Attack puts her top of the all time list of the Bands I dont get category,truly believe modern pop genre radio stations like Free FM think hers is the original

Any excuse to post the original.

What a record. Even the Source was is crap compared to this.

The beach boys - what's that all about? Surfin' USA in my top 3 despised songs of all time. (1 lulu - shout, 2, everybody needs somebody - blues brothers)

The Beatles - like some stuff but feel overrated but maybe more about what they did for the music scene and as I wasn't around at the time perhaps don't appreciate.

Blur - I've tried but just doesn't happen for me apart from odd song here and there. Can't listen to a whole album.

Maybe I have something in for bands beginning with 'b'.