Acts you don't "get"

DareToDibble

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Beyond me how anyone gets any enjoyment out of listening to their soulless, shite. It may have been something new and different when they started but new and different crap is still crap and going to see them live is surely just a piss take.

"But it's a 3D show, man". Fuck off, every show is 3D. It's 4 old German blokes stood behind laptops, laughing at how you've paid to watch them press play while a gash 6th form art student's video runs on a screen.

It's like a 40 years of The Emporor's New Clothes.

I take it your not a fan :D

I know the 80s version of The Flying Pickets get a lot of shit for being a joke band, but as a small child, I found the acapella(ish) harmonies of Only You spellbinding.  It may not have aged very well, but believe it or not, was actually a formative piece of music in my life.

EDIT: And it's better than the Yazoo version.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

i've been following this thread, occasionally chipping in and having a bit of a laugh, but i've not suggested anyone that i 'don't get'.

there's plenty i don't like,  but that's not why we're here.

there is one though, that has always baffled me, the name of who i'd like to put forward.

David Bowie.  i just.. don't.. get.. it..

i've never heard a tune of his that made me want to hear another tune of his.  i did hear some stuff from his varied and storied career that was kinda my thing, a bit funky and that.  but it was more a pastiche of funk.  and i prefer actual funk.

to make matters worse, i was there when he played the Pyramid in 2000.  i remember he played the hits, had nice hair and a lovely coat on.

and yet... nothing.

Edited by fatyeti24

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

i've been following this thread, occasionally chipping in and having a bit of a laugh, but i've not suggested anyone that i 'don't get'.

there's plenty i don't like,  but that's not why we're here.

there is one though, that has always baffled me, the name of who i'd like to put forward.

David Bowie.  i just.. don't.. get.. it..

i've never heard a tune of his that made me want to hear another tune of his.  i did hear some stuff from his varied and storied career that was kinda my thing, a bit funky and that.  but it was more a pastiche of funk.  and i prefer actual funk.

to make matters worse, i was there when he played the Pyramid in 2000.  i remember he played the hits, had nice hair and a lovely coat on.

and yet... nothing.

Bizarre stuff. There's so many "Bowies" - yer bound to find one to click. Do you not like _anything_ he's done?

I have to admit that I never really appreciated Bob Dylan until about the time "Things have Changed" came out, when I really should have given him more credence much earlier.

I do not get Kanye West. Not really my genre, but I can appreciate, and have enjoyed live  many bands that were not my genre at all and will never buy their albums but I do get why people like them. 

6 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Bizarre stuff. There's so many "Bowies" - yer bound to find one to click. Do you not like _anything_ he's done?

it's not that i don't like it as such - it doesn't have me rushing to turn off the radio or anything like that.  well, not often anyway.  i just don't get what it is about him that so many people adore.  and nothing i've heard has made me want to delve deeper, which, admittedly, puts me in a bit of a catch 22.

7 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Beyond me how anyone gets any enjoyment out of listening to their soulless, shite. It may have been something new and different when they started but new and different crap is still crap and going to see them live is surely just a piss take.

"But it's a 3D show, man". Fuck off, every show is 3D. It's 4 old German blokes stood behind laptops, laughing at how you've paid to watch them press play while a gash 6th form art student's video runs on a screen.

It's like a 40 years of The Emporor's New Clothes.

I have only just read this post on this thread (on efests today in total) , but by jove it's a good'n' - hence the up vote.

Personally I really like to hear Kraftwerk - but only every now and again. A track from them always takes me back to a more care free moment in my life. Not that I give much of a fuck nowadays either, mind. 

On 25/08/2017 at 5:22 AM, eastynh said:

Radiohead

Muse

The National

Nine Inch Nails

LCD Soundsystem

Agreed.

On 25/08/2017 at 9:12 AM, Homer said:

The exact beginning of the good bit from the only good Muse song blared out on Radio X as I turned the keys this morning, which I have to admit was a bangin' start to a Friday.

Which song is this?

Florence and the Machine's toe curling rendition of the beautiful You got the Love by Massive Attack puts her top of the all time list of the Bands I dont get category,truly believe modern pop genre radio stations like Free FM think hers is the original

6 minutes ago, Apone said:

Florence and the Machine's toe curling rendition of the beautiful You got the Love by Massive Attack puts her top of the all time list of the Bands I dont get category,truly believe modern pop genre radio stations like Free FM think hers is the original

You Got the Love by Massive Attack!?

17 minutes ago, Apone said:

Massive Attack feat Candi Staton, The Source or something, anyway Florence destroyed it

"You Got The Love (feat. Candi Staton)" by The Source.  But you're right, the Florence version is shit... BUT for some reason I enjoy You Got the Dirtee Love, which by any reasonable measure should be like the Florence version,  but 20x worse.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

"You Got The Love (feat. Candi Staton)" by The Source.  But you're right, the Florence version is shit... BUT for some reason I enjoy You Got the Dirtee Love, which by any reasonable measure should be like the Florence version,  but 20x worse.

I will forever love that song as it soundtracks one of my favourite videos of all time, guaranteed to make me smile every single time.

The Bonkers clip from 2009 gets me every time as well, dunno how he does it but the guy can manipulate a pyramid crowd.

On 26/08/2017 at 10:58 AM, crocodiles said:

What about kraftwerk..... before anyone says it if you don't get them  what's wrong with u 

Kraftwerk are tricky.

I own The Man-Machine LP on vinyl but can't honestly say I've played it in a decade.

They were hugely influential though, not least on the Detroit Techno scene, which led to this, so Kudos to Kraftwerk for that and proving not all bands starting with K are shite...

Edited by bamber

1 hour ago, ivan said:

Having seen Ratboy the other day at Leeds put him on the list .

I've seen him twice as support for bands and he's been really bad both times; felt he tried too hard to get the crowd to respond. Yet there was always people near the front who were massively into him. Baffling.

9 hours ago, bamber said:

I note there were no objections to me singling out KC and the Sunshine band or Kool and the Gang from the K bands as exceptions.

That pleases me exceptionally.

Kc couple of great tunes . Kool and the gang are a great disco band with a cool back catalogue 

15 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

I've seen him twice as support for bands and he's been really bad both times; felt he tried too hard to get the crowd to respond. Yet there was always people near the front who were massively into him. Baffling.

I thought he was really good at Glasto. It was 2am in Shangri La, though, so I probably would have danced to a fax machine.