DareToDibble

Acts you don't "get"

I was having a chat with some of my friends the other day and we got talking about musical acts that everyone seems love but we don't really get the appeal of them.

I think my main ones have to be Florence & The Machine, Wolf Alice and Slaves. Florence especially is a massive act but I've struggled to get into the music (and I've tried a few times!). Ben Howard is another one, although I don't hear too much of him at the moment. I went to one of his gigs as a friend had a spare ticket and can honestly say it was one of the worst I've been to.

Was wondering if there are any acts similar to this for you guys? - I expect to see Ed Sheeran and Coldplay listed a lot!

Springsteen. I can see and appreciate that he's talented, technically proficient and a decent songwriter. His music just does nothing for me at all.

Most of Pink Floyd, with Comfortably Numb as the exception, again does nothing for me.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 1

Father John Misty. It's alright like but don't really get it. Saw most of him at glasto this year and it was my least favourite of the weekend, I'd rather be spat on by an energetic punk band than lazily patronized by a not-as-deep-as-he-thinks-he-is douche.

My dad loved it though and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt, I must have missed something.

Elbow always seem dreary and dull to me. I've seen them live once too.

Edited by Homer
  • Upvote 2

Sleaford Mods and Father John Misty

The only explanation I can think of is liking them ironically which seems a bit masochistic to me.

Pretty much all of the above but especially Florence as her voice is like fingernails scraping down a chalkboard!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

You're not supposed to like every band peeps. What's not to get?

I don't think that I'm right when I don't 'get' bands, there's a difference between that and when I think they're actually bad.

* Sits back and waits for somebody to say Radiohead and this thread imploding into a ratings list of their albums *

Edited by st dan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Springsteen. I can see and appreciate that he's talented, technically proficient and a decent songwriter. His music just does nothing for me at all.

Most of Pink Floyd, with Comfortably Numb as the exception, again does nothing for me.

Another one for Springsteen here.

He was absolutely dire in 2009, like, shockingly bad. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

* Sits back and waits for somebody to say Radiohead and this thread imploding into a ratings list of their albums *

9. Pablo Honey

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, cdm22 said:

Pretty much all of the above but especially Florence as her voice is like fingernails scraping down a chalkboard!

I heard* her compared to Janet Street Porter shouting into a wheelie bin and I can't hear anything different since. 

*It may have been on here actually, definitely not claiming this line as my own.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, st dan said:

Radiohead :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I don't think that I'm right when I don't 'get' bands, there's a difference between that and when I think they're actually bad.

Exactly, this isn't about bands you think are shit.

18 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Another one for Springsteen here.

He was absolutely dire in 2009, like, shockingly bad. 

Didn't even go, watched Jarvis in the JP instead.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, st dan said:

They did actually come to mind. However I wasn't brave enough to put them. :ph34r:

99% of dance music, how does anyone listen to that shite?

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

99% of dance music, how does anyone listen to that shite?

It's actually quite e-asy when you know how...

• Upvote 1