Old Music Thread

eFestivals

You'll never guess what has just happened to me. For reasons, the knowledge of which eludes me right now, I recalled a song that I had heard, in the 1970's I think it must have been. Anyway, my memory recalled the song, that it was gooey shite, but somehow demanded that I put it on Youtube and watch / listen to it, for old times sake. So, being afflicted with Hydrocephalus (Which is so not true. And now I've got Roman Catholic guilt. Them bastards never let you go, you know.), I decided to play it. 

Well, well, well, I was surprised. Actually fucking stunned would be a better way of describing it. There had been this, as I said, gooey single that I remembered, and even though I knew it lacked credibility, invoked a certain harmony within me. That was until I saw the associated video. Peter Shelley has all the charm of Jimmy Saville, and the vulgar moves of Weinstein;

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

So, being afflicted with Hydrocephalus (Which is so not true. And now I've got Roman Catholic guilt.

I don't want to add to your guilt Yog but | really was affected by Hydrocephalus.  As a result I had three lots of brain surgery, the last one of which 'wiped' my memory, leaving me not knowing who I was or even recognising my wife and kids.

I was forced to give up work and my business went bust.  But it all worked out well in the end. 

What actually happened was that the third lots of neurosurgery severed the neuropathways link between, in computing terms, my desktop (current memory) and my hard drive (stored memory).  So, as a result I couldn't access all my stored memories.

Over time the brain re-creates new neuropathways and over a six month period I gradually began to access my past memories.

But by that time my business had gone down the tubes and I was left wondering what the heck I was going to do with my life.  My wife and kids (who I knew by then) suggested I go to uni to train to be a teacher as, previously, I'd trained people as journalists and to use the computer systems my company had developed. 

So I went off and did a PGCE and ended having a third career as an adult ed tutor.  All great fun and thanks to hydrocephalus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

I don't want to add to your guilt Yog but | really was affected by Hydrocephalus.  As a result I had three lots of brain surgery, the last one of which 'wiped' my memory, leaving me not knowing who I was or even recognising my wife and kids.

I was forced to give up work and my business went bust.  But it all worked out well in the end. 

What actually happened was that the third lots of neurosurgery severed the neuropathways link between, in computing terms, my desktop (current memory) and my hard drive (stored memory).  So, as a result I couldn't access all my stored memories.

Over time the brain re-creates new neuropathways and over a six month period I gradually began to access my past memories.

But by that time my business had gone down the tubes and I was left wondering what the heck I was going to do with my life.  My wife and kids (who I knew by then) suggested I go to uni to train to be a teacher as, previously, I'd trained people as journalists and to use the computer systems my company had developed. 

So I went off and did a PGCE and ended having a third career as an adult ed tutor.  All great fun and thanks to hydrocephalus.

Hello grumpy,

I never meant to offend, or make light of the condition which you suffered from. It was purely meant as a bit of imaginative self mockery on my musical influences in days long gone by. That said, I once read an interview with Quentin Tarantino which I think is important for me to mention. Apparently someone enacted in real life an event which occurred in one of his films. It may have been the murder of someone, but I can't actually recall the specific details. Needless to say, it must have been something pretty bad, for the question to have been raised in the first place. Anyway, to cut a long story short, Quentin Tarantino's response was along the lines of ' I will not accept the responsibility for someone else's violence. I will not be shackled by those constraints'. I feel exactly the same way with anything (that I perceive) as humorous. It's highly doubtful that I will ever change and become what is perceived as politically correct. If we shut down everything that may offend on the basis that there should be no perceived offence by anyone, then we would be left, in my opinion, with a very clinical and boring society. One that on the basis of it justifying it's own existence, is actually highly hypocritical. The true beauty in this world is the variety within it. If you start to shut down variety, then you move towards a Stasi type state. And I, for one, will never consciously assist any movement in that direction. 

I'm not trying to be gung ho, or sentimental, but many many people laid down their lives in both world wars to fight against fascism, and for democracy. I do believe that there are elements of running with political correctness, that are slowly eroding democracy, and not enhancing it. I don't want to live in a sterile environment. So, I will always fight for my right to come out with what I like, but will always check myself that my intent is not malicious.

As an aside to my ramble above, I've read about your 'story' before and have the utmost respect for you, and admire your courage and determination in pressing on with life. I'm not too sure that I would have that inner strength.

All the best. :)

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello grumpy,

I never meant to offend, or make light of the condition which you suffered from. It was purely meant as a bit of imaginative self mockery on my musical influences in days long gone by. That said, I once read an interview with Quentin Tarantino which I think is important for me to mention. Apparently someone enacted in real life an event which occurred in one of his films. It may have been the murder of someone, but I can't actually recall the specific details. Needless to say, it must have been something pretty bad, for the question to have been raised in the first place. Anyway, to cut a long story short, Quentin Tarantino's response was along the lines of ' I will not accept the responsibility for someone else's violence. I will not be shackled by those constraints'. I feel exactly the same way with anything (that I perceive) as humorous. It's highly doubtful that I will ever change and become what is perceived as politically correct. If we shut down everything that may offend on the basis that there should be no perceived offence by anyone, then we would be left, in my opinion, with a very clinical and boring society. One that on the basis of it justifying it's own existence, is actually highly hypocritical. The true beauty in this world is the variety within it. If you start to shut down variety, then you move towards a Stasi type state. And I, for one, will never consciously assist any movement in that direction. 

I'm not trying to be gung ho, or sentimental, but many many people laid down their lives in both world wars to fight against fascism, and for democracy. I do believe that there are elements of running with political correctness, that are slowly eroding democracy, and not enhancing it. I don't want to live in a sterile environment. So, I will always fight for my right to come out with what I like, but will always check myself that my intent is not malicious.

As an aside to my ramble above, I've read about your 'story' before and have the utmost respect for you, and admire your courage and determination in pressing on with life. I'm not too sure that I would have that inner strength.

All the best. :)

Yog, not the slightest offence was taken. It was only because you mentioned Roman Catholic guilt that I even bothered to comment.  And there was no courage or determination in me pressing on with life.  In many ways it was a blessing (not of the catholic type).  I had got to the point where I wasn't enjoying running the computer business but couldn't really think of a way forward.  My head going bang helped decide things for me. I then had some great years as an adult ed tutor before finally deciding to call that a day too and retire properly.  Luckily Mrs GH is still earning good money so, until she calls it quits next year, I can enjoy a life of leisure interspersed with helping care for an ailing 94 year old mother in law.

Make the most of the magic few years between getting your kids off your hands and then finding that you have to cope with declining parents.

9 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Yog, not the slightest offence was taken. It was only because you mentioned Roman Catholic guilt that I even bothered to comment.  And there was no courage or determination in me pressing on with life.  In many ways it was a blessing (not of the catholic type).  I had got to the point where I wasn't enjoying running the computer business but couldn't really think of a way forward.  My head going bang helped decide things for me. I then had some great years as an adult ed tutor before finally deciding to call that a day too and retire properly.  Luckily Mrs GH is still earning good money so, until she calls it quits next year, I can enjoy a life of leisure interspersed with helping care for an ailing 94 year old mother in law.

Make the most of the magic few years between getting your kids off your hands and then finding that you have to cope with declining parents.

The fickle hand of fate. 

Fate has led me to recently move away from Birmingham and in to a small country town by a river. I managed to buy what I originally was led to believe was a Tudor cottage. It turns out it actually Medieval, and is one third of what was the original manor house for the town! Anyway, I have moved away from my parents and brothers, at a time when my parents are still active, but may need assistance in the near'ish future. I feel guilty about that one, and don't know how I'll get to do my bit for them. I'll work something out though. Apart from that conundrum I mostly live a guilt free life. Just the occasional bit of lapsed Catholic guilt every now and again is all.

On 10/17/2017 at 4:56 PM, grumpyhack said:

You can always try catholic contraception Yog.  Put a stone in your shoe - it makes you limp.

Hello grumpy,

That reminds me of an, apparently Irish, saying which is;

May those who love us ...

May those who love us, love us;

And for those who don't love us, May God turn their hearts;

And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we will know them by their limping!

Although being second generation Irish, and having been exposed to Irish culture all my life, I must confess to never actually ever hearing anybody come out with it - or anything like it, for that matter.

Anyway, this has just been playing in our house (see below). Fairly loudly. Which reminds me that I really need to install the sound proofing that I have bought in order to give my neighbour a fighting chance of getting to sleep at night / the wee hours. My wife is a very considerate woman to others in many regards, but just doesn't seem to get that you can't play music loud / loud'ish at night if you have a neignbour or neighbours . Anyway, I've spent many an hour researching sound proofing, and have gone for, what I think is, a blitzkrieg (or possibly, more accurately an anti-blitzkrieg) approach to the problem. I have bought a major roll of fuck off and die 12mm PU carpet underlay, which I am going to fix to the whole party wall of the house. I have also bought 'proper' acoustic soundproofing studio foam tiles to fit over the underlay. It's the least (and the most) that I can do for our new neighbour. Anyway, here's the song;

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

If you really want to look at catholic angst Yog you can't beat the Saw Doctors - a great festival band, magnificent live.

By the way, what's the small town you've moved to?

Hello grumpy,

I've heard of The Saw Doctors for years, but never actually heard them. That is before now, after listening to the track above. I must confess that that they're not really my cup of tea, if that track is representative of their work.

As to your question, we've moved to Bridgnorth. Have you been to it before?

We have q family friend who's very keen on steam railways so have done the Severn Valley Railway.  I also went through it on the way to the Shrewsbury Folk Festival a couple of years ago.

As for the Saw Doctors, their biggest hit was N17 about the motorway that runs across Ireland to Galway, where they come from.  It was penned after a big tour and was one of those 'It's great to be back home' songs.

They tend to do great anthem songs - cigarette lighter in the air, arms waving.

May as well throw this in as well;

I bumped in to Roland Gift several times while out on the piss in Moseley in Birmingham many moons ago now. The last time I bumped in to him it was a Sunday night, and we had both been on it since the Friday. We had a longish conversation, the content of which eludes me right now, but was most likely all cobblers. Anyway, then two female friends of mine came in, saw that I was talking to Mr.Gift, came straight over and didn't give the bloke a chance to breathe. They kind of man handled him out of the pub, took him somewhere, and took it in turns to get the shag off him. You can understand it really. He's a seriously good looking man. I think that I'd probably give him one, he's that good looking. I'm not the man I used to be!

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

On 22/10/2017 at 10:46 PM, JacquelineS said:

I loved Linda Perry back in the day. She had so much spunk and I loved her style. 

Something, recently brought this to mind. 

Malcolm McLaren always brings back fond childhood memories 

• Like 1