Old Music Thread

eFestivals

On 09/10/2017 at 5:21 PM, JacquelineS said:

Played the album yesterday, what a beautiful song 'The Weakness In Me' is

• Like 1

There is no doubt in my mind that I simply cannot explain to you what this song means to me. It's not because of a lack of vocabulary, it's because it invokes a memory of someone whose friendship was so dear to me that words alone will never be able to describe my love for him. For many a decade I was a very sad person, but when in the presence of this mighty fine

man, I always managed to experience a happiness that had always been denied me. Fortunately I have found a similar un-quantifiable happiness again in the soul of the person who is now my wife. The bloke I'm talking about though died before he and my wife could meet. This next song is for him (Vince) and also for Liam, who was also there at the time when the three of us danced with not an ounce of care in the world. This is the song that we danced to;

I love you Vince, man. As I have said before in to the ether - I hope we meet again, someday, somewhere. 

Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

• Upvote 1

If we're talking about special songs and special people this one takes me back to one of the first great loves of my life a Dutch girlfriend who at the time lived in Amsterdam.  She now lives in Delft and 45 years on we are still in touch.  Still has to be one of the most beautiful love songs of all time.

Edited by grumpyhack

5 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

If we're talking about special songs and special people this one takes me back to one of the first great loves of my life a Dutch girlfriend who at the time lived in Amsterdam.  She now lives in Delft and 45 years on we are still in touch.  Still has to be one of the most beautiful love songs of all time.

Full and utter agreement on this. An Amsterdam girlfriend, is an effusive, expansive experience for sure.

This much covered, wonderful song, was written by Ewan McColl (british) in 1957. The Roberta Flack Version is in my opinion the best. Few will argue with that.

On 12/10/2017 at 2:43 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

There is no doubt in my mind that I simply cannot explain to you what this song means to me. It's not because of a lack of vocabulary, it's because it invokes a memory of someone whose friendship was so dear to me that words alone will never be able to describe my love for him. For many a decade I was a very sad person, but when in the presence of this mighty fine

man, I always managed to experience a happiness that had always been denied me. Fortunately I have found a similar un-quantifiable happiness again in the soul of the person who is now my wife. The bloke I'm talking about though died before he and my wife could meet. This next song is for him (Vince) and also for Liam, who was also there at the time when the three of us danced with not an ounce of care in the world. This is the song that we danced to;

I love you Vince, man. As I have said before in to the ether - I hope we meet again, someday, somewhere. 

Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

You see, I've seen Billy Ocean,Live, twice, don't ask me how, but yes I have!

That up there  ^^^^^^^ something!