Sziget Festival 2018

#1SzigetFan

10 minutes ago, Mondo-kun said:

Paramore played last years' Volt Festival, so back in time management also could book them for Sziget 2018, maybe even as european exclusive. Not the strongest headliner IMO, but also not the weakest one.

Considering that now there's only one hip-hop headliner the last one could be Travis Scott. Also that old rumour about Eminem - I'm sure he could ask to hold the announcement (if it's planned) until he ends his european shows. However he probably costs as half as whole festival lineup, so there's small chance.

Can't see NIN playing this year. Justice - maybe as A38 closer as M83 in 2016. 

Actually we already have two hip hop headliners, if we want to consider of that kind Gorillaz (alt hip hop, but still hip hop, imo), and I think Eminem is really out of budget, given the presence of AM, KL, Mumford and Sons as an exclusive, Shawn Mendes and Gorillaz - on the other hand Sziget grew its budget largely in the last few years (at least apparently), but Eminem already announced his your, so I cannot see a point not to announce him along with Roskilde same day of AM (surely a double announcement of that kind would made tickets selling to skyrocket).

I strongly believe (and hope) it won't be Travis Scott, because it would be weak AF but also because he's headliner in early festivals during the summer (and small festivals, considering that FIB this year is doing actually bad).

NIN would be massive, but it is out of context here - yet, it was a rumor that came out the day before the latest announcement, along with a deleted name from the second release of names due to unknown circumstances - can be Zhu, can be NIN, can be the Pope, too.

I cannot realize the size of Justice anymore, sometimes they are treated at the same level of Chemical Brothers, sometimes they play head in the electronic stage, sometimes they are undercard, so whatever it takes, even the World Stage, but book them please!

To conclude with, I think that (given that most of festivals released their headliner) we will get something new, maybe along with Pukkelpop, so yeah, I still feel something for Paramore or Lana del Rey or I have no idea who

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Actually we already have two hip hop headliners, if we want to consider of that kind Gorillaz (alt hip hop, but still hip hop, imo), and I think Eminem is really out of budget, given the presence of AM, KL, Mumford and Sons as an exclusive, Shawn Mendes and Gorillaz - on the other hand Sziget grew its budget largely in the last few years (at least apparently), but Eminem already announced his your, so I cannot see a point not to announce him along with Roskilde same day of AM (surely a double announcement of that kind would made tickets selling to skyrocket).

I strongly believe (and hope) it won't be Travis Scott, because it would be weak AF but also because he's headliner in early festivals during the summer (and small festivals, considering that FIB this year is doing actually bad).

NIN would be massive, but it is out of context here - yet, it was a rumor that came out the day before the latest announcement, along with a deleted name from the second release of names due to unknown circumstances - can be Zhu, can be NIN, can be the Pope, too.

I cannot realize the size of Justice anymore, sometimes they are treated at the same level of Chemical Brothers, sometimes they play head in the electronic stage, sometimes they are undercard, so whatever it takes, even the World Stage, but book them please!

To conclude with, I think that (given that most of festivals released their headliner) we will get something new, maybe along with Pukkelpop, so yeah, I still feel something for Paramore or Lana del Rey or I have no idea who

Gorillaz hip hop.... Ok

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabrizzo said:

Gorillaz hip hop.... Ok

Totally forgot that Clint Eastwood, Ascension or Sweepstakes were Stoner Rock music.

Hits from Gorillaz are hip hop, Gorillaz as Damon Albarn is a whole different stuff, but sure you should agree with me that average attender of Sziget considers Gorilaz = Feel Good Inc and Clint Eastwood, not certain Busted and Blue, and of this the management is aware

Edited by Yelo, the Parmiggiana
  • Upvote 4

As much as I'd love them to get booked, I can't help but feel that NIN is a bit of a pipe dream and we're more likely to get a poppier final headliner. 

Though I second booking Justice whatever it takes - put them on the world music stage, the beach, in the games tent for all I care. Just get them on the bill. 

6 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Totally forgot that Clint Eastwood, Ascension or Sweepstakes were Stoner Rock music.

Hits from Gorillaz are hip hop, Gorillaz as Damon Albarn is a whole different stuff, but sure you should agree with me that average attender of Sziget considers Gorilaz = Feel Good Inc and Clint Eastwood, not certain Busted and Blue, and of this the management is aware

Ok but you can't consider Gorillaz an hip hop headliner ! Com'on!

29 minutes ago, Fabrizzo said:

Ok but you can't consider Gorillaz an hip hop headliner ! Com'on!

Nope, but they are in the middle in my opinion, and probably to have them + Kendrick Lamar + Travis Scott (which IMHO is not headliner material in any scenario), would make the top names of the ticket to rap oriented. Than again, of course, Im not comparing them to Run DMC or Migos.

28 minutes ago, thetime said:

Saw Gorillaz on there very first tour in Birmingham, they played behind a white projector screen.

possibly the worst gig I’ve been to, I am so looking forward to seeing them though as I’m sure they’re totally different now. 

In their first tour they were yet a "total virtual band" or am I wrong? Because in that case, for how disappointing it would have been, sure it makes sense!

37 minutes ago, thetime said:

Saw Gorillaz on there very first tour in Birmingham, they played behind a white projector screen.

possibly the worst gig I’ve been to, I am so looking forward to seeing them though as I’m sure they’re totally different now. 

There is a side project of Gorillaz called Gorillaz Sound System. Did you see something like this or something like this? :P

I saw Gorillaz live recently on Budapest Arena and they were pretty awesome (truth is they were also on tour with some acts they collaborated with on their latest album)!

24 minutes ago, king_oxymoron said:

Someone clever talk to me.. does that make Paramore more or less likely for the empty headliner slot?

i'd very much welcome Alessia Cara and Friendly Fires too! 

Friendly Fires is very unlikely as then they would be doing Europe stuff both sides of Summer Sonic. Paramore could do it but they'd be an Europe exclusive for Sziget which would be weird

Edited by Mattymooz

47 minutes ago, CaitrionaH said:

Would love Billie Eilish and Marshmello in A38! Jorja Smith seems likely too! Also do you think Rita Ora (Dislike) could have made a deal when cancelling last year? She is close in August! 

Can see Marshmello in a thematic night with Alle Farben in a38, or party arena.

From Electric castle I could also see Mura Masa (headliner or 1.30 spot in a38), Richie Hawtin to pair with Gorgon City last night and Excision to pair with Borgore in a dubstep-themed night.

Rita ora belongs to the same agency of Clean Bandit. I don't think they managed an agreement for them, her and Charli XCX to come back (in a matter of fact, if I were in Sziget's shoes I would have cut relationship with those artists, same way as It seems they did with Michael kiwanuka after he stood up in 2014), also the MS lineup has already its pop coordinated with Clean Bandit, Dua Lipa, Kygo and Shawn Mendes and IMO it would be unbalanced to bring other pure pop (and sziget this year seems really balanced on mainstream music). 

I made myself clear on what I'd dig in the relevant MS spots so I won't repeat myself, but any assumption can be done only after we have some more certainty about who belongs to MS and who doesn't (Lianne La Haves and JP Cooper, i.e.) and the spot taken by some artists (Parov Stelar sub or second spot?)

I agree that they seem to have done a good job balancing things this year and booking Rita Ora would likely tip that. I'd love it if the next announcement gave us a real curveball like NIN or Beck inexplicably stopping off in Europe before doing Summer Sonic, but I'd give that pretty long odds.

My pessimistic side does feel that even if booking a large pure pop act could tip the scales the final headliner announcement will be more pop-orientated, as Dua Lipa is the only current headliner I would define as 'pop'. But then I am basing this on total ignorance and just a general feeling. 

3 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Can see Marshmello in a thematic night with Alle Farben in a38, or party arena.

From Electric castle I could also see Mura Masa (headliner or 1.30 spot in a38), Richie Hawtin to pair with Gorgon City last night and Excision to pair with Borgore in a dubstep-themed night.

Rita ora belongs to the same agency of Clean Bandit. I don't think they managed an agreement for them, her and Charli XCX to come back (in a matter of fact, if I were in Sziget's shoes I would have cut relationship with those artists, same way as It seems they did with Michael kiwanuka after he stood up in 2014), also the MS lineup has already its pop coordinated with Clean Bandit, Dua Lipa, Kygo and Shawn Mendes and IMO it would be unbalanced to bring other pure pop (and sziget this year seems really balanced on mainstream music). 

I made myself clear on what I'd dig in the relevant MS spots so I won't repeat myself, but any assumption can be done only after we have some more certainty about who belongs to MS and who doesn't (Lianne La Haves and JP Cooper, i.e.) and the spot taken by some artists (Parov Stelar sub or second spot?)

Hope you right I would be disappointed in Sziget if they did bring her back after last year! Hoping for more good acts for the early slots in the day but happy with the line-up so far! 

18 hours ago, NomadicMan said:

Thanks and yes had started to wonder....it’s actually much better than the official one....just had Royal Blood :D

the fake ones got loads more followers...

Btw you are listening to the playlist radio, not just the playlist. Radio will find similar tracks to the ones in the playlist hence why you're getting Libertines etc

Edited by campspeng
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, campspeng said:

Btw you are listening to the playlist radio, not just the playlist. Radio will find similar tracks to the ones in the playlist hence why you're getting Libertines etc

Ahhh got you thanks for the tip. Actually we only recently had Spotify allowed in Croatia hence my ignorance.....at least that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it....it’s not like I’m an imbecile or anything :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1