Which festivals will sell out quicker next year?

Rumblestripe

On 8/9/2017 at 4:27 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

I arrive in Bali that weekend , just missing it, else I may have been tempted to go out of interest , rather than the bands :-)

Yeah, maybe I should give it a whirl. It's just that £155 for two days is pretty steep even in our 'currency' (and I don't really like any of the bands!).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Wow didn;t realise it was that expensive... mmmm I'd maybe give it a miss :-)

I've been to Bestival five times. I think I generally paid £170 for three/four days (depending on the year). I'm not sure how that price 'structure' works, as I've read that Bali is generally v cheap!

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

I've been to Bestival five times. I think I generally paid £170 for three/four days (depending on the year). I'm not sure how that price 'structure' works, as I've read that Bali is generally v cheap!

Bali is cheap for food etc, transportation isn;t cheap from memory, and hotels etc can be whatever you want. It wasn;t as 'cheap' as I expected, but not silly priced either if that makes any sense

Will definitely be returning to Bearded Theory again. Attended the last 2 years, luckily blessed with good weather and it's been top both times. Would be interested to see if it holds up to that for a wet one but I don't see why not.

As for a Glastonbury replacement then I have been weighing up Boomtown against the possibility of just doing more gigs. Not decided yet.

47 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Bali is cheap for food etc, transportation isn;t cheap from memory, and hotels etc can be whatever you want. It wasn;t as 'cheap' as I expected, but not silly priced either if that makes any sense

Yeah, I hear you. A lot of Asia etc is like that - can be cheap if you want it to be; but if you want to pay through the nose they're more than happy to help out! Regardless, paying £75 for a day to see Alt-J does not sound like a bargain.

On 10/08/2017 at 2:46 PM, eFestivals said:

I know for some festivals restrictions like those have been imposed by the council, supposedly because it stops underage drinking, because it stops youngsters bringing in excessive amounts and forces them to go to a bar where they'll (supposedly) get ID'd.

I saw more people get IDd at boomtown this week than all the others I've been to combined. Some of those were people in their 30s (I'm not implying that is old just emphasising that they weren't baby faced)

Ironically I got more booze in because of the restrictions than I would take to Glastonbury. I spread my bets and assumed that they would find some, used 4 different methods and blagging through security with the old 'your colleague just searched me' line which worked a charm. I almost had some left on my way home... Almost. 

P.s. shout out to whoever it was that suggested YouTube for removing bottle lids without breaking the seal. Took about 4 mins for litre bottle of water to become something much more useful.

3 hours ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Will definitely be returning to Bearded Theory again. Attended the last 2 years, luckily blessed with good weather and it's been top both times. Would be interested to see if it holds up to that for a wet one but I don't see why not.

I went to a reasonably wet one in 2012 and had a great time but missed the REALLY wet one in 2014. Mates who went though still said they enjoyed it.

On 8/14/2017 at 7:33 PM, Gnomicide said:

I went to a reasonably wet one in 2012 and had a great time but missed the REALLY wet one in 2014. Mates who went though still said they enjoyed it.

Have been to that one... think 2014 must have been the one where I saw a wall of water coming at us during the Poppies set.... every BT I have been to has been top notch to be fair (the last 5, so missed out on the tornado and the snow...)

Edited by Kay95
dimness

Actually would really like a recommendation of a festival that is like Bearded Theory to replace Glasto... we will be going to Bearded anyway as that's the one we take the kids to, but would like a similar one to go to without the need to be responsible...

4 minutes ago, Kay95 said:

Actually would really like a recommendation of a festival that is like Bearded Theory to replace Glasto... we will be going to Bearded anyway as that's the one we take the kids to, but would like a similar one to go to without the need to be responsible...

I've not been, but Beautiful Days is the one that always gets mentioned in the same conversations as BT.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

I've not been, but Beautiful Days is the one that always gets mentioned in the same conversations as BT.

this year's line up is right up my street to be honest... will have to check out the reviews after the weekend

37 minutes ago, Kay95 said:

Similar but smaller - recent reports of Farmer Phil's have been favourable and the various Something Else festivals (Gail's Tea Tent but bigger). 

As Incident has said, Beautiful Days looks very similar but I've not been to that either.

I'm not sure how much of an impact Glastonbury not being on will have, you get potentially millions trying for tickets but a large percentage of those (who end up being successful) are bucket list types and wouldn't necessarily go anywhere else other than Glastonbury. No doubt there are plenty of people who go to Glastonbury every year but don't go to any other festivals, but you'd assume plenty go to other festivals anyway. I'm one of the latter and I'm not necessarily looking to replace Glastonbury next year, I'll still do one or two others as I do anyway, I'm not deliberately going to do one extra just because G isn't on. If anything I'll probably go on holiday instead or look at a European festival. So really you're looking at the people who's pretty much just do Glastonbury every year and are looking for their fix so to speak.

For me it's not a case of deliberately doing one extra to "replace Glastonbury".. It's that one of the main constraints currently stopping me from doing more is the amount of annual leave. I was strongly looking at both Boomtown and Beautiful Days this year and would have done one of them if I had a bit more time to play with. Glastonbury taking a year off means that events previously ruled out become a viable option.

On 8/10/2017 at 4:41 PM, Gnomicide said:

Apart from Glastonbury and Bearded Theory, what other festivals can you take your own booze in to? 

End of the Road let and they have a Beavertown Brewery tent and a real ale festival in the main tent. So, although i can take my own in i still buy more at EotR than Latitude because of the choice available (same with Glastonbury)

I'm going to Nudefest! A big 7 day naturist festival. lt's always the week after Glastonbury and I'm too tired to go then. So making the most of the fallow year and going. Can't wait!

Although, I might go to Bluedot Festival. Or go to Spain to see friends. Or go to Sweden. Or maybe buy a house. It's good to have a few options for the fallow year. I will miss Glastonbury not being on though.

On 14/08/2017 at 3:56 PM, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

As for a Glastonbury replacement then I have been weighing up Boomtown against the possibility of just doing more gigs. Not decided yet.

On 14/08/2017 at 7:33 PM, Gnomicide said:

2014 was really wet - the site held up reasonably well on the whole (its next to the River Trent so is used to being wet!) there were a few dodgy places, but extra drainage was put in during Winter 2014 in a few places to avoid it happening again.

I have never been as wet as I was during that PWEI set, nor have I ever seen a decent sized crowd disperse quite as quickly as that afternoon!

On 17/08/2017 at 1:11 PM, Gnomicide said:

Similar but smaller - recent reports of Farmer Phil's have been favourable and the various Something Else festivals (Gail's Tea Tent but bigger). 

As Incident has said, Beautiful Days looks very similar but I've not been to that either.

Farmer Phils is lovely and chilled.  Went in 2016, didnt return this year due to work commitments.  Definitely going 2018!

On 11/08/2017 at 7:18 AM, eFestivals said:

nope, unless it changed for this year. Last year you could take booze in because they weren't searching anyone for it, tho whether it was actually allowed I can't remember now.

You are not supposed to bring booze through but soft drinks and food okay...

checks were lax though agreed but that's fine by me :)