Which festivals will sell out quicker next year?

Rumblestripe

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm delighted to say that I will not be doing any festivals next year as, all being well, Mrs Jass and I will have a Mini Jass to contend with.

At least there will be nappies to replicate the smell of the longdrops so you don't feel like you are missing out too much !!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm delighted to say that I will not be doing any festivals next year as, all being well, Mrs Jass and I will have a Mini Jass to contend with.

Congratulations!!

tumblr_lfpt3qM5qu1qbj46wo1_400.gif

Couldn't find a .gif of "Did you have to be so graphic?" sorry :( 

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Pardon?  Are you thinking of a specific festival that announced an act that didn't play?  Y Not and H&G clusterfucks aside?

Also perhaps the fact that the main stage area at H&G wasn't big enough to fit everyone (with a legit ticket) at the festival in. Even though all the other stages stopped before the headliners. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Currently trying to persuade the missus that project baby no 2 should start relatively soon, cos you know, the fallow year is the perfect time to have a baby! 

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Be nice if Bestival got their act(s) together. I want to check out the new site but the line-up doesn't appeal.

They are also throwing a festival while I'm in Bali (what are the chances?!) - and the line up there is pretty rubbish too!

I arrive in Bali that weekend , just missing it, else I may have been tempted to go out of interest , rather than the bands :-)

Festival season hasn't been kind to most of the festivals,  aside from Glasto, Latitude and Lovebox most have had shocking weather which has ruined the festivals sites, add to that Kendal has had really poor reviews and V is trying to rape people for every penny they have I think festivals will generally struggle next year. IOW and V have had to offer 2-1 weekend tickets this year to boost sales FFS !

Ive said to friends that apart from Glasto the business model and strategy for the big festivals is starting to fail, why some of them aren't looking at Glasto as their blueprint baffles me. People dont want to be ripped off by festivals, they want a bit of freedom, a variety of choice on the lineup apart from music and a feeling that the festival isn't trying to bleed them of every penny. I priced up Kendal for my family for next year and it was just extras, upon extras, upon extras after initially pricing up a weekend ticket, absolute rip off. 

Next year we're taking the kids to Paris for 4 nights with two of the days at Disneyland Paris, the wife wants to go to Amsterdam for the first time and Im trying to persuade her to do Lovebox for the first time. My brother, a Glasto regular, went to Lovebox for the first time this year and loved it, loved the vibe and the setup of the place, said the full weekend, including seeing Jazzy Jeff DJ, blew him away.

Edited by swede

23 minutes ago, swede said:

why some of them aren't looking at Glasto as their blueprint baffles me.

to be fair, plenty of festivals don't have the option to do things in the same way as Glasto. 

Every council does licencing slightly differently, tho tend to impose what might be regarded as the full version of current best practice onto a festival. Glastonbury (and a few others) are lucky, because its history goes back to before there was licencing, and its difficult for a council to then insist it changes how its doing things if there's not been any issue with how its been doing things. In practice that means it's able to do some things in a way other festivals aren't allowed to.

There's also the fact that Glasto is getting very many of its acts on the cheap (again, mostly a historical thing), which isn't available to other fests.

And finally, getting to play with the big boys requires booking the biggest bands - which isn't easy for a smaller festival to do. Bands naturally want to play the most famous festivals, and they'll sit around waiting for a call from the big boys while refusing to commit to something (to their eyes) 'lesser'. Those 'big boys' also do stuff that effectively locks-out the chances of smaller fests getting those biggest bands.

It took Eavis about 25 years for Glastonbury to get to 'very popular', and he had the advantage while doing that of little competition. While i'd love another event to be able to manage the same and come with the same sorts of ideals, I don't really think it's possible now.

Thinking of trying an EU fest for the first time next year. I fancy Flow (mainly bcos this years line up and location appeals to me) but haven't really done my research on any. I know this isn't really thread specific and is also quite general but who's been where and what was most enjoyable?

(My fav parts of Glasto are the Park and T&C so wouldn't mind something that can offer similar)

1 hour ago, swede said:

add to that Kendal has had really poor reviews

1 hour ago, swede said:

I priced up Kendal for my family for next year and it was just extras, upon extras, upon extras after initially pricing up a weekend ticket, absolute rip off.

Not sure what the prices are for 2018, but I found the prices for 2017 were really reasonable for a three day festival. We paid monthly and added the Emperors Fields to our package and overall found it excellent value for money. Didn't pay for a Thursday ticket.  Decent plonk onsite (Amstel and Pale Ales at main bars, Camra ale bars scattered round, Kraken rum). Didn't pay more than £4.50 for a pint. Food wasn't any more expensive. That lineup on the other hand.... :o

Considering Deerfest next year as our family event. Hadn't even heard of it till recently but seems to have a good lineup and stuff to do for the nippers. Also not too far a drive which is our main driver.

29 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Camra ale bars scattered round

they might be camra approved, but if it's been given the same sort of camra approval that bluedot had last year its fizzy-shite beer that'll make plenty unhappy (even tho i fully accept it's still a better bar than what most festivals manage).

To my mind only cask ales count, and everything else is unreal ale.

49 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

to be fair, plenty of festivals don't have the option to do things in the same way as Glasto. 

Every council does licencing slightly differently, tho tend to impose what might be regarded as the full version of current best practice onto a festival. Glastonbury (and a few others) are lucky, because its history goes back to before there was licencing, and its difficult for a council to then insist it changes how its doing things if there's not been any issue with how its been doing things. In practice that means it's able to do some things in a way other festivals aren't allowed to.

There's also the fact that Glasto is getting very many of its acts on the cheap (again, mostly a historical thing), which isn't available to other fests.

And finally, getting to play with the big boys requires booking the biggest bands - which isn't easy for a smaller festival to do. Bands naturally want to play the most famous festivals, and they'll sit around waiting for a call from the big boys while refusing to commit to something (to their eyes) 'lesser'. Those 'big boys' also do stuff that effectively locks-out the chances of smaller fests getting those biggest bands.

It took Eavis about 25 years for Glastonbury to get to 'very popular', and he had the advantage while doing that of little competition. While i'd love another event to be able to manage the same and come with the same sorts of ideals, I don't really think it's possible now.

Neil, whats your position on festivals adopting a similar position to Glasto in terms of taking your own booze or food into the arenas. Also do you think the festivals need to offer more choice in terms of drinks on offer, Leeds for example has a cocktail bar in the camp site just before the arena but once inside you've got a choice really of lager or cider.

43 minutes ago, swede said:

Neil, whats your position on festivals adopting a similar position to Glasto in terms of taking your own booze or food into the arenas. Also do you think the festivals need to offer more choice in terms of drinks on offer, Leeds for example has a cocktail bar in the camp site just before the arena but once inside you've got a choice really of lager or cider.

I know for some festivals restrictions like those have been imposed by the council, supposedly because it stops underage drinking, because it stops youngsters bringing in excessive amounts and forces them to go to a bar where they'll (supposedly) get ID'd.

It's an exceeding tenuous claim in my book, and completely ignores the fact that if kids are bringing in booze they must be buying it from places licenced by that council for every day of every year - yet it's the festival that gets jumped on.

I can see why a festival might sell a bar concession (particularly a smaller one) as it's a source of cash up-front which can be used to put the festival together, and for that bar concession to be worth much people need to be 'forced' to buy from the bar. So while i'd personally much rather all festivals let people take in their own booze,  having restrictions is understandable in full context, and then it's down to any festival to try and get the terms of everything right (the amount you can bring in, as well as the price at the forced-to-use bar).

I'd say there's much better all-round choice at just about all festivals today than in the past, but I guess they'll never please everyone, and working a high-output bar in a field must get more difficult there more different drinks are on offer.

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Shambala?

nope.

From here:-
http://www.shambalafestival.org/essential-info/faqs/

you can bring an amount ‘suitable for personal use’ and at the discretion of the Shambala team. By way of a guide 12 cans of beer (or cider) and half of a litre of spirits per person in your group would be acceptable. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

WOMAD, new this year.

Ummmm .... struggling now. :lol:

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

oh, Beautiful Days.

Blimey. Apart from those that do it due to licencing constraints, I wonder what the pay off is in ticket sales v money from the bar concessions. The bar at Bearded is reasonably priced and always looks relatively busy, though obviously they'd take a lot more if you couldn't take your own in. Would it still sell out if they imposed a ban?

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

WOMAD, new this year.

Ummmm .... struggling now. :lol:

If I can make it Womad will be my alternative choice of festival, like it a lot there and they never were that strict on stopping you with your own beer as long as you were sensible. Assume you went, if so how was it this year?