Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

On 18/02/2018 at 1:03 PM, neil_clarky said:

Having never been to Latitude before, when do people recommend arriving on site?

Yes, arriving early is good, but we turned up at lunchtime Friday last year and had no problem finding a spot for our large tent.  Arrived Friday late evening the year before and it was a bit more difficult, but certainly not impossible.  We stayed in family camping both times, and will be doing the same this year.

I think we'll want to get in as soon as it opens, love all the wandering round, getting bearings etc as we're newbies to Lat. On a similar note... how tight is security here? Does it take ages to get searched, do you have to unpack all your stuff?

Glasto was a pain in the backside last year, we turned up as early as possible and had to unload all our stuff off trolleys to be searched, luckily the only 'contraband' we had was metal cutlery...! But friends arriving later were not searched as extensively and therefore got in much quicker. Tempting to turn up later if it means getting in quicker?

20 minutes ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

I think we'll want to get in as soon as it opens, love all the wandering round, getting bearings etc as we're newbies to Lat. On a similar note... how tight is security here? Does it take ages to get searched, do you have to unpack all your stuff?

Glasto was a pain in the backside last year, we turned up as early as possible and had to unload all our stuff off trolleys to be searched, luckily the only 'contraband' we had was metal cutlery...! But friends arriving later were not searched as extensively and therefore got in much quicker. Tempting to turn up later if it means getting in quicker?

Good choice getting there early, we always try (will be our 9th year) and generally it's easy to get two save for two years where there were horrendous traffic issues but they have resolved these as they worked out the problem. Although camping opens about 2pm the arena opens about 5pm. Good to go in and get bearings ad admire the site. There will be a few things going on in the smaller tents.

Security wise, for the last two years we have been in family but it was never an issue in general camping, like Glastonbury used to they would stop the odd person to pull over and check. They did this to us once but all we had was 'is there any glass in there?' 'no' and then they let us go, others had to empty bags, obviously look too innocent/middle-class/middle-aged! Last year they were pulling people out of the queue at an early stage and going through there bags BUT as they had lost there place in the queue they were taken to the front so it was actually better to be searched than not.

There was one issue last year, they announced on the day before that only bags of a certain size would be allowed in the arena, smaller than virtually any day bag you have known but back-tracked after social media lost it!

It's a great festival so hope you have a great time.

I think there was a lot of security tightening last year due to the attacks in Mancester and London, we were told in the queue at Glasto not to bring in camping stoves, cutlery, cooking things etc, which led to a very irritated Mr FestivalNewbie having to go back to the car with all our 'cookable' food and cooking stuff, only to find out that we could've taken it in after all! 

We're not sure whether to just go through with a tent and a few bits, then go back for the rest later when the queues have died down. We only have Glasto to compare to so I'm expecting Lat to be less busy...

And as for the bag size... sounds like they won't try that again! 

3 hours ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

We're not sure whether to just go through with a tent and a few bits, then go back for the rest later when the queues have died down. We only have Glasto to compare to so I'm expecting Lat to be less busy...

Given that Latitude is a lot smaller you will be parking fairly close to the entrance/wristband exchange. Then, depending on where you camp you won't be far from the entrance once inside either. once you are wrist banded there is no real queue for reentry. i tend to take the tent and a few bits in first and then go back for the rest, queue for the wristband can still be long but you will walk straight back in. 

Once, when there was a long queue we didn't take anything in initially, joined the queue and got wristbanded then went and got everything as the car was not far at all. Saved all that stop start in the queue with everything.

1 hour ago, jamesrfisher said:

Given that Latitude is a lot smaller you will be parking fairly close to the entrance/wristband exchange. Then, depending on where you camp you won't be far from the entrance once inside either. once you are wrist banded there is no real queue for reentry. i tend to take the tent and a few bits in first and then go back for the rest, queue for the wristband can still be long but you will walk straight back in. 

Once, when there was a long queue we didn't take anything in initially, joined the queue and got wristbanded then went and got everything as the car was not far at all. Saved all that stop start in the queue with everything.

Thanks for the tips! We might do just that then. The stop start shuffling in the queue with trolleys is a bit of a pain so I think we'll just take in the tent, pitch up, and then go back for all the booze, ahem, I mean everything else!

1 minute ago, sam1981 said:

So with all the focus on comedy and theatre, does that mean there is less music at Latitude compared to similarly sized festivals. i.e less music stages? 

There are 5 stages dedicated purely to music: Obelisk, BBC, Sunrise, Alcove and BBC Introducing. Then the Film and Music tent will play host to a few acts as well as talks and films. Theatre, comedy, cabaret and speakeasy all have their own dedicated stages. As far as I'm aware 5 music stages is about standard for festivals of a similar size.

2 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

There are 5 stages dedicated purely to music: Obelisk, BBC, Sunrise, Alcove and BBC Introducing. Then the Film and Music tent will play host to a few acts as well as talks and films. Theatre, comedy, cabaret and speakeasy all have their own dedicated stages. As far as I'm aware 5 music stages is about standard for festivals of a similar size.

You've missed the Lake Stage! which makes 6.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2018 at 8:45 AM, FestivalNewbie7 said:

as others have reported ' its a lot less of a slog to reach the campsite ' - now the basic configuration has not changed much since it first started. 

Two Image - first one was given to me by the landowner in 2011 { hence why its so clear }  the other one is from 2016 but not so clear.

I had to miss last year as I was in Hospital so I don't know if Security has been tightened but as its a arena event I would imagine that is where they would be checking rather than people getting into the camp site.

as my Team work there we always arrive early on the Tuesday so we miss all the traffic 
from ticket holders but I have not heard any major traffic screws up on the Thursday.

Its now my favourite event due to not needing a helicopter to get from stage A to stage B and its less likely to get muddy due to the soil drainage.

if you like Fish and Chips drive to Southwold - does not take long and they have 2 main fish and chips shops - you will be able to spot them as they normally have a queue outside - both on the left as you drive to the centre { blink and you will miss it }

the first time we went ' we made a mistake ' as we asked a few of the workers and the word spread like wildfire and we ended up with 40 orders of fish suppers !!!

latitude-2011-ABOVE.thumb.jpg.fa81550505ebefdc210d7e8b6ba3ddf5.jpg

stream_img.thumb.jpg.fc00ae43e4a798f96a7acac9743aaeb3.jpg

11 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Does anyone know if you’re still allowed to camp for one night if you have day tickets?

You are, although it's on a first come first serve basis and can get busy, so suggest you pitch up early. I noticed there was a pretty long queue last year but no reason to suppose anyone got turned away.

10 hours ago, thesaint78 said:

Who are we all hoping for when they next announce the next lot of bands? Anyone know likely date of next announcement?

Hoping there is a chance of

First Aid Kit

Wedding Present

Primal Scream

Starcrawler

Spiritualized

No idea if any of these are possible

Was looking at this last night. In 2017 the initial music announcement was 1 March, with comedy around 27 March and more music at end of April.

With this in mind, I reckon we might get something shortly if they release something every month like last year. I'll guess end of next week prior to Easter.

Sadly the WBC who have had the bar contract since 2006 lost the contract this year to a higher bidder

The unique wooden structures that made up many Bars are built each year by the WBC  - they don't belong to the Promoter or landowner so that will change this year

I have a good idea who is taking over it and I know people who have worked for them  and they report the Private Company cuts down their Overheads by employing { although many are unpaid volunteers } less bar Staff which I am sure will wind Melvin right up { who I have knowing for nearly 30 years } and may mean a longer queue .

I will be interesting in seeing any feedback as to the service this year and please let me know the prices which I suspect may go up.

I am aware that they use a different shift pattern for their volunteers so there may be less happy volunteers than your used to.

its been a really nice festival to work at and the Customers have been wonderful - I remember the year when Trading Standards were spotted {Trading Standards check up on how well the bars check for ID} so the call came out ' Check everyone ' - My Team was working in the large bar Outside the arena - just as the call came in I was approached by a group of people ' all clearly over 21 ' so I had to apologise to them that they would have to show ID and amazingly they were all carrying ID - I think the oldest was 43 { or close } - two hours later the call came in to only check people who looked 21 or less - they found it funny and I did as well. 

Edited by glasto-worker

On 13/03/2018 at 7:54 AM, glasto-worker said:

Sadly the WBC who have had the bar contract since 2006 lost the contract this year to a higher bidder

The unique wooden structures that made up many Bars are built each year by the WBC  - they don't belong to the Promoter or landowner so that will change this year

I have a good idea who is taking over it and I know people who have worked for them  and they report the Private Company cuts down their Overheads by employing { although many are unpaid volunteers } less bar Staff which I am sure will wind Melvin right up { who I have knowing for nearly 30 years } and may mean a longer queue .

I will be interesting in seeing any feedback as to the service this year and please let me know the prices which I suspect may go up.

I am aware that they use a different shift pattern for their volunteers so there may be less happy volunteers than your used to.

its been a really nice festival to work at and the Customers have been wonderful - I remember the year when Trading Standards were spotted {Trading Standards check up on how well the bars check for ID} so the call came out ' Check everyone ' - My Team was working in the large bar Outside the arena - just as the call came in I was approached by a group of people ' all clearly over 21 ' so I had to apologise to them that they would have to show ID and amazingly they were all carrying ID - I think the oldest was 43 { or close } - two hours later the call came in to only check people who looked 21 or less - they found it funny and I did as well. 

this sounds ominous.....

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Really disappointed about this. When I saw the lineup I thought "Oh wow, can't wait to volunteer there, it''ll be fun." and then bam, we aren't doing it anymore. Oh well, at least there's Electric Picnic!

these contracts change all the time - so some years they may not have it and then bang - its back on again - I don't have all the figures yet but I know who has them - all it takes is a bit of bad weather and and any potential trading profit is out the window - time will tell as to how it goes.

Edited by glasto-worker