Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

9 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Not sure who it was last year...

2016 it was old copperknob himself.. (he only lives about 20 minutes away though)

....and half of Snow Patrol.  They were great!  There wasn't a surprise last year, although Ed Sheeran appeared again.

2 minutes ago, ianlash said:

....and half of Snow Patrol.  They were great!  There wasn't a surprise last year, although Ed Sheeran appeared again.

you cant keep that bugger away..

Two Door were really a pre-announced 'special guest' rather than a 'secret act'...

Rudimental did an unannounced set a few years back..

On 14/02/2018 at 6:34 PM, ianlash said:

No, they were announced beforehand.  Ed S and Snow P just appeared.

i had the good fortune (misfortune?) to be watching Foy Vance in the 6Music tent in 2016 when the Ginger One appeared out of nowhere. The whole experience reminded me of an old wildlife documentary I once saw where somerhing disturbed a termite mound and they all swarmed out, except in reverse. Weird, almost out-of-body kind of experience.

58 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

i had the good fortune (misfortune?) to be watching Foy Vance in the 6Music tent in 2016 when the Ginger One appeared out of nowhere. The whole experience reminded me of an old wildlife documentary I once saw where somerhing disturbed a termite mound and they all swarmed out, except in reverse. Weird, almost out-of-body kind of experience.

I remember a similar experience at Glastonbury in 2009. Went to see The Gaslight Anthem in the John Peel Tent, Bruce Springsteen came on for a song (they are also from New Jersey). Place went mental.

On 2/14/2018 at 2:31 PM, Cat Man said:

Just checked out Bearded Theory BTW and there's two or three real gems on that lineup. Looks interesting. Do you know anyone who's been?

My three regular festivals are Glastonbury, Latitude and Bearded, so if you like the first two, then Bearded might suit you too. It is very different from Latitude, though. Very, very, roughly speaking, if you imagine the Avalon Stage, the Glade Stage and the Acoustic Stage striking out on their own, and you sort of get the idea. But chuck in a heavy dose of punk, a very friendly and quite a counter culture crowd. The crowd reminds me of Stonehenge of old a bit, if you happen to be as ancient as me.

Edited by sparkythetortoise

2 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

My three regular festivals are Glastonbury, Latitude and Bearded, so if you like the first two, then Bearded might suit you too. It is very different from Latitude, though. Very, very, roughly speaking, if you imagine the Avalon Stage, the Glade Stage and the Acoustic Stage striking out on their own, and you sort of get the idea. But chuck in a heavy dose of punk, a very friendly and quite a counter culture crowd. The crowd reminds me of Stonehenge of old a bit, if you happen to be as ancient as me.

That's for that, sounds well worth a shot. Been eyeing up Green Man for a while but Bearded looks right up my alley, plus its a lot easier to get to!

I wanna throw this one out there:

Festival Republic.

Three or four years ago I would have counted Melvin Benn as one of my heroes, someone who championed live music and did his best to keep it alive and kicking (albeit while making a tidy sum on the side, God bless). Then Latitude started to slide. We had the GOTR takeover. Then last year FR said they were going to lead the way in promoting female acts and female headliners at their 2018 festivals. We got Solange at Latitude. At Reading we got  KoL, Fallout Boy and Kendrick Lamar. God only knows what will rise from the grave of V-Fest.

Pathetic.

Reading's reputation has been built over the years on what's cutting edge with the kids. that's how it should be. That's what keeps it alive and VITAL. So I get Kendrick, I really do. But I do not get Fallout Boy or KoL. Neither of those bands has anything new to offer, nothing interesting to say.

Popular music kicked back in the 60s against what was happening in the world. In the late 70s it did the same, and again in the 90s. Now, when we need our music heroes more than ever, FR seems hell bent one just one thing - making money.

Forgive me, I have had way too much to drink. i am probably stating the obvious but I needed to get it off my chest.

It's fun to lose and to pretend.

RIP Kurt.

Cat Man x

Edited by Cat Man
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, thesaint78 said:

Done my usual thing of having a Spotify session on bands I'm not familiar with once the line up came out.

These stood out for me, reminded me of the primitives which is never a bad thing!

Yeh good band. They're the main reason my daughter is thinking of going this year

On 14/02/2018 at 5:08 PM, Acncfc09 said:

We’re there any secret acts last year? If so who?

15DD71B4-8B95-418D-865D-45E93A5D3E9F.png

Apologies if someone's already posted this, but after Brandon Flowers speach about Robert Smith in Vegas the other week plus their cover of Push, and given the Cure are playing their 40th birthday gig in Hyde Park the Saturday before...

For me that would be worth the entrance fee alone!

35 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Oh,  what did he say about Robert Smith?

I'm wondering if The Killers (or even just Flowers) might be involved in either the Hyde Park concert or in Robert Smith's Meltdown Festival...

Its on YouTube if you wanna watch it. he made a speach about how UK bands like New Order and in particular the Cure influenced him musically growing up - massive fan of Robert Smith obviously - then they launched into a cover of Push. It just seems too perfect doesn't? And didn't the Killers play Hyde Park last summer?

Edited by Cat Man

Personally speaking I'd aim to pitch up early evening Thursday. Latitude used to be a nightmare to get to (took us 7 hours in 2015 from North Essex!) but traffic management is much better now. Thursday evening has a good vibe (though less to see perhaps than previous years) and if you're a newbie its a great time for orientating yourself and working out where everything is. We prefer 'green' camping - its further to walk to the arena, but quieter.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, neil_clarky said:

Having never been to Latitude before, when do people recommend arriving on site?

as soon as it opens on Thursday lunchtime...

I think its been sunny every time we have arrived..

Get the caravan set up, awning out, daughters tent up... and get on those ciders :D

If you are in a tent, you will be able to pick a good spot... no where is too far from the arena.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cat Man said:

Its on YouTube if you wanna watch it. he made a speach about how UK bands like New Order and in particular the Cure influenced him musically growing up - massive fan of Robert Smith obviously - then they launched into a cover of Push. It just seems too perfect doesn't? And didn't the Killers play Hyde Park last summer?

Think it might have been Salt Lake City and not Vegas, but check it out. The gold suit is somethin else!

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

as soon as it opens on Thursday lunchtime...

I think its been sunny every time we have arrived..

Get the caravan set up, awning out, daughters tent up... and get on those ciders :D

If you are in a tent, you will be able to pick a good spot... no where is too far from the arena.

Couldn’t agree more, I love the arrivals day of any festival, get in as early as possible, set up, crack open the ciders and chill in the sun. 

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah they did play Hyde Park. Sold out show too. Does anyone remember when it sold out? It's a cool coincidence that both The Killers and The Cure were the first bands to sell out their days.

Maybe The Cure will cover Mr Brightside :P

Can't help thinkin we'll end up with the Ginger One strummin' along to The Man, but hey, that's one helluva thought!:D