Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

Presumably James, Mogwai and Jon Hopkins are the tent headliners. 

Would be good if they actually put their lineup on their website 

They wanna be real careful who they have headline Friday. As wonderful as she is, Knowles clearly ain’t a must-see for folk that go Latitude. Really surprised they didn’t have Wolf Alice headline.

Just now, dentalplan said:

They wanna be real careful who they have headline Friday. As wonderful as she is, Knowles clearly ain’t a must-see for folk that go Latitude. Really surprised they didn’t have Wolf Alice headline.

Its up on the website now so looks like it is James and Wolf Alice are subbing the Obelisk, which yeah I agree is maybe the wrong way round 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

This is my thinking too. Really happy for Solange but for the festival crowd - I'd have said Wolf Alice were a perfect fit to headline and be given a shot at doing so.

i love alt-j and i like solange but alt-j as a repeat booking is boring and Solange is not headline material, i assume they just had to fit a female headliner in somewhere and couldn't afford Florence after paying for The Killers. I guess the lineup is mediocre and definitely an improvement on last year, but I feel underwhelmed by this announcement. 

There’s obviously still a comedy headliner to be announced but I’ve had to do a lot of googling.

looks like I’m finally getting to see The Killers after missing them twice at Glastonbury, and not going to IOW this year, yes I’m late to the party but better late than never.

As for the rest, bearing in mind I only saw 4 bands all weekend last year I’m sure I’ll be fine.

Just now, KyKyHunt said:

Legit most excited by IDLES and James Acaster.

I'm excited for James Acaster too :) disappointed with the comedy line up compared to last year's, but there doesn't seem to be any music crossover with the other 2 festivals I'm going to so that's good :)

Will need to listen to some of the undercard to see which I'd like to see. 

9 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Its up on the website now so looks like it is James and Wolf Alice are subbing the Obelisk, which yeah I agree is maybe the wrong way round 

What I meant was I’m surprised Solange headlines over Wolf Alice. I think headlining 6Music woulda been bad for WA.

James is gonna steal a lot of people off Solange if those headliners are in the right order.

Just now, dentalplan said:

What I meant was I’m surprised Solange headlines over Wolf Alice. I think headlining 6Music woulda been bad for WA.

James is gonna steal a lot of people off Solange if those headliners are in the right order.

Yeah I thought that after I posted :P 

Wolf Alice would've still been kinda small I think but yeah I agree, a safer bet than Solange. 

12 minutes ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

I'm excited for James Acaster too :) disappointed with the comedy line up compared to last year's, but there doesn't seem to be any music crossover with the other 2 festivals I'm going to so that's good :)

Will need to listen to some of the undercard to see which I'd like to see. 

For sure, I think I can safely rule out going this year though - although if Reading is an utter disappointment, I might go to Latitude again just because I love it as a festival regardless of whether or not my weekend is stacked with acts I want to see.

So I think they've balanced the lineup a bit better than in recent years, but the Latitude Festival I know and love is officially dead.

I used to describe Latitude as 'Glastonbury with the shitty pop removed'. Not sure I can say that anymore. 

Booking bands like the Killers and Rag N Bone Man changes the whole atmosphere of a festival. It invites a completely different calibre of people, who unfortunately are much less likely to be considerate of others - the very thing I used to go to Latitude to avoid.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Bridget Christie tho. Nice work.

I've never been but would echo the sentiment that the undercard seems to be really good for people who are properly into their music but they just have the headliners to pull in the part timers. That lineup as a whole with killers headlining just looks really off. To be honest its probably more a reflection of the sheer lack of viable headline bands out there that you can't pull together a cohesive lineup where the headliners and the undercard complement each other.

Alt J headlined bluedot last year which is a lot smaller than latitude so that seems pretty weak as well. They've obviously had to spend shed loads on the killers, but they will be worth it commerically as they'll bring in loads of people.

1 minute ago, FlaviusMaximus said:

So I think they've balanced the lineup a bit better than in recent years, but the Latitude Festival I know and love is officially dead.

I used to describe Latitude as 'Glastonbury with the shitty pop removed'. Not sure I can say that anymore. 

Booking bands like the Killers and Rag N Bone Man changes the whole atmosphere of a festival. It invites a completely different calibre of people, who unfortunately are much less likely to be considerate of others - the very thing I used to go to Latitude to avoid.

I'd argue that The 1975, Mumford and Sons and Fatboy Slim may have bought the calibre of clientele that you refer to but I didn't notice a huge shift in the demographic last year. I think this line up is a great all rounder, plenty there for all tastes which maintains a nice diverse crowd.

• Like 1

Wow, awful lineup. We’ve been the last 3 years, and it’s been getting progressively worse.

I loved The Killers 8 years ago but they’re now a karaoke act (and missing 2 guitarists), Solange isn’t a headliner, and Alt-J don’t have a lot of stage presence, will be like PSB last year. 

Agree that Mogwai, Charlatans and James will be great, and the BBC tent has a great atmosphere, but generally not strong enough for a weekend.

Shame really, was a unique combination of well-curated art in the widest sense. Please try harder next year!!! : )

2 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

I'd argue that The 1975, Mumford and Sons and Fatboy Slim may have bought the calibre of clientele that you refer to but I didn't notice a huge shift in the demographic last year. I think this line up is a great all rounder, plenty there for all tastes which maintains a nice diverse crowd.

I'm mainly comparing with 10 years ago to be fair, when the headliners included Sigur Ros, Interpol, Amadou & Mariam and The Mars Volta. It was a genuine alternative to the mainstream festivals at the time. 

It has been a slow creep in this direction over the years. I remember happily watching Midlake a few years back, with the Temper Trap to follow. I'm not going to make any particular judgement on the Temper Trap's music but before Midlake finished, an absolute horde of noisy teenagers started trying to push to the front and completely ruined the atmosphere. I guess you have to just put up with it at a large festival, but to be honest I'd rather just find a nicer festival nowadays. Which makes me very sad because I love the place.

1 minute ago, FlaviusMaximus said:

I'm mainly comparing with 10 years ago to be fair, when the headliners included Sigur Ros, Interpol, Amadou & Mariam and The Mars Volta. It was a genuine alternative to the mainstream festivals at the time. 

It has been a slow creep in this direction over the years. I remember happily watching Midlake a few years back, with the Temper Trap to follow. I'm not going to make any particular judgement on the Temper Trap's music but before Midlake finished, an absolute horde of noisy teenagers started trying to push to the front and completely ruined the atmosphere. I guess you have to just put up with it at a large festival, but to be honest I'd rather just find a nicer festival nowadays. Which makes me very sad because I love the place.

I cant comment on how it was years ago but I totally get your point. I just think in the grand scheme of things, there are much worse festivals you could attend for noisy and obnoxious teens.

I think overall its a good lineup, though I agree that Wolf Alice are a bigger deal than Solange and that billing makes little sense. The Killers balance that out though, huge booking for Latitude even if they are playing quite a few other places this summer. There’s certainly enough there that I’d have a good weekend as the undercard is quite appealing but none of the big names are that exciting for me.