Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

I think it's probable that Lorde might headline, and her set would be full of horrible children.

EDIT: I mean her crowd would be full of horrible children. Set would be full of massive bangers, obviously.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN
  • Upvote 1

Lorde is a good shout, or Lana Del Rey perhaps. Arcade Fire seem like obvious bets too. Then probably a British band making the step up; Catfish or Wolf Alice seem most likely to me. I'm hoping for more bookings like Portishead and The National.

Edit: CHVRCHES, Tame Impala, The xx, Bastille are all possibles in my mind aswell, makes for grim reading. 2017 line up was a stinker for me,. Can normally rely on Latitude having a good undercard even if the headliners are uninspired but that wasn't the case this year.

Edited by rhg_99

On 06/08/2017 at 8:29 AM, funky squaredance said:

Too early to start the annual Bjork rumour?!  New album on its way.....

Apparently....Mr Benn (Festival Republic head honcho) describes Bjork 'a nightmare to work with'....

So.....even thought she would be ideally suited to Latitude (in my opinion, obviously), its unlikely....

Lorde seems a bit on the petite side for a big, popular, youth-skewing headliner but I guess the AOTY nods between now and announcement could top up the credentials. Tho I don't think they'd have her and Lana... so laters Lorde.

Catfish seem sadly ominous for a top slot here after headlining Community this summer and being referred to as a future headliner by all the people in the biz. :(

Gonna go for Catfish & the Bottlemen, Lana Del Rey, Beck.

I feel like Chvrches should be fitting in somewhere but perhaps they'll do it on the tail-end of the tour, and maybe they could headline something a rung below Latitude next summer.

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Chvrches, Elbow, LDR. Cafish can absolutely sod off although I'd be thrilled if one or both of Beck and LCD Soundsystem were booked instead of Ms Del Dull and/or Garvey's mob.

If you think Lana is dull then wait for the Morning Phase suite in the middle of Beck's set and also F OFF.

I wouldn't be too worried about Elbow. Seeing as they've already done it and are now doing city/family festivals quite regularly I imagine they'll stick to that rather than a single Latitude performance for a whole summer.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If you think Lana is dull then wait for the Morning Phase suite in the middle of Beck's set and also F OFF.

I wouldn't be too worried about Elbow. Seeing as they've already done it and are now doing city/family festivals quite regularly I imagine they'll stick to that rather than a single Latitude performance for a whole summer.

I liked Morning Phase :( and even if it was as bad as it became trendy to say it is after 'OMG BEYONCE LOST'-gate, it'd only take up at most a third of that set, whereas a Lana Del Dreary set would be a full 90 minutes of her 'songs'. Perhaps on her sixth basically-identical album it will finally click and I will 'get' her but I expect not.

29 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I liked Morning Phase :( and even if it was as bad as it became trendy to say it is after 'OMG BEYONCE LOST'-gate, it'd only take up at most a third of that set, whereas a Lana Del Dreary set would be a full 90 minutes of her 'songs'. Perhaps on her sixth basically-identical album it will finally click and I will 'get' her but I expect not.

Ahhh 'songs' with inverted commas! As in... they don't qualify as real songs? What a burn! :P

Nah we all like Morning Phase regardless of any fuckboi award ceremonies. I'm just saying that it brings the atmosphere right down when he's just smashed out some of his biggest crowd pleasers and then straps on his acoustic guitar for a melancholic intermission.

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Ahhh 'songs' with inverted commas! As in... they don't qualify as real songs? What a burn! :P

Nah we all like Morning Phase regardless of any fuckboi award ceremonies. I'm just saying that it brings the atmosphere right down when he's just smashed out some of his biggest crowd pleasers and then straps on his acoustic guitar for a melancholic intermission.

tbh if he can generate an atmosphere at Latitude he can have the freedom of the city to play whatever setlist he likes ;) 

13 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I feel like we predict Lana every year and it never happens. I agree with the Catfish shouts though and I think The War on Drugs are a reasonable shout too.

Yeah I was thinking it's the next logical step for TWOD but can't work out how to fit them in. Chvrches, Arcade Fire and The War on Drugs would be like this year's but with an upgrade - significantly so in the case of the last two - but that'd be too nice and instead we're staring down the barrel of Catfish's porridge gun.

10 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

*dental

This is true.

Ooo Beck! Good shout.  Sigur Ros possible for a return I reckon.  Everything Everything as possible sub or BBC Music headliner.  Catfish?? Are they that popular with the kids to headline? The 1975 weren't for me (still baffled after watching them) but could see they were both popular and had some critical acclaim behind them to headline.

I'd guess Catfish (wouldn't be my personal preference, but need to find new headliners to push up the ranks) or Chvrches, Bjork and LCD Soundsystem as the headliners. 

A push up and an established headliner and a critic's favourite. That's a general pattern for Latitude (with some exceptions of course).

Beck would be great; imagine if he headlined the tent!

Edited by aidenlangan95

1 hour ago, funky squaredance said:

Catfish?? Are they that popular with the kids to headline? 

Possibly after another album, although this current break from their previously unending spell of omnipresence might (hopefully) be enough for someone to finally pipe up and point out how few clothes Van the Emperor is wearing. In any case they aren't on a level with The 1975, I don't know why people keep equivalencing the two. Some mofo suggested Van's lads as a V Festival headliner yesterday, ridiculous.

Edited by Zac Quinn

23 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Everything and the Everythingmen got a big old Ally Pally show in the pipe. I think a Obelisk sub or 2nd stage headline slot is a certainty.

yes pleasio.

new Beck record on the way in October, if there was any doubt about him being in the frame. For some reason includes 'Wow' which I thought was a piss-take rather than a serious musical outing but there we go.

Edited by Zac Quinn

12 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

yes pleasio.

new Beck record on the way in October, if there was any doubt about him being in the frame. For some reason includes 'Wow' which I thought was a piss-take rather than a serious musical outing but there we go.

It's got Dreams on as well which seems a bit of a cop out considering it was released what, two years ago now? I like it though so I'll let it slide 

Tho this is the album it was meant to be on and he announced it was forthcoming when Dreams was released. If he was throwing out old tracks off it, it'd probably never have been finished. Not sure it has any real place on the album now as it was a good albeit throwaway party track that woulda been good for getting people interested in the upcoming album, but then two years went by so it's no real purpose now.

Wow, on the other hand, I really like and still holds up as something unlike anything he's done before, yet is still inherently Beck. That's about as good as you can get with the guy. 

On 8/26/2017 at 11:55 AM, Zac Quinn said:

yes pleasio.

His actual best song tho