major forums upgrade

sometime soonish they'll be a major-ish upgrade of the forums software. How soon it'll be I can't say, as I need to re-create the custom skin to work with the new version, but hopefully it'll be within a week.

There's a lot of new features in the new version, which you can read about in full here:-
https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community-42-r1030/

But the short version is that it now comes with 'clubs' (which are custom social groups) within the normal forums software, which means it won't be something that's likely to disappear again (which has had to happen with the groups add-ons I've used before, that didn't get upgraded).

6 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Interesting. How are you planning on working the clubs? I might be missing something but are they just little groups?

the answer is I've no idea yet, as I've not looked into how they work.

But yeah, they're little groups - so probably suitable for stuff like 'camp solo', that sort of thing.

I've finally got (almost) everything done with the similar upgrade needed for egigs (which is a good for learning what needs doing) so the current plan is to upgrade the forums here at some point tomorrow.

It's likely that the forums will be offline for up-to an hour when the upgrade happens (and longer if it goes wrong).

Apologies in advance for any inconvenient.

The upgrade has now finished OK.

There's some re-indexing tasks currently running in the background, and it might be 12 hours or so until those finish. In the meantime stuff like the search feature might not work.

I also need to re-create the page skins in the same style, and hope to have those done within an hour.

Apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime.

The skin for the main part of the site has now been updated, to give that a similar updated look to the forums (you might have to do ctrl-F5 to force the design to refresh properly).

An issue with the 'report post' feature has been raised with me, for those people using smaller screens. 'Report post' is indicated by a little flag to the right in the title-bar of a post (the part across the top with the user's name), but it's almost invisible unless you hover over that title bar - which of course you can't do on a touch-screen device.

I've tried to fix this myself but haven't been able to, but I've also raised this with the software makers who have just told me that it will be addressed in the next update (which should hopefully be in the next week or three).

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 0:14 PM, eFestivals said:

I'd guess it's a caching problem.

It's probably easiest to go into settings then apps, do clear cache, and that should sort it.

If it doesn't, do clear cache and then clear data, uninstall and then reinstall.

no luck with either of these I'm afraid. also am unable to go on the menu tab in the top right corner.