Emperors Field and Deer Lodge reviews

Son_N

Hey all! 

Hope everyone one had a good time this weekend. We had a great time overall. I'm curious to hear people's feedback on emperors field and deer lodge this year to determine whether we try that in future. We couldn't get into either by the time we booked so booked club class and I thought that was a bit of a disaster, they put the plastic walkway boards down after the ground damage was already done which was a bit bizarre as good prep before hand could have stopped the mud bath in that area. Also didn't think the toilets on that area were great with no loo roll or soap every time we used - not really what you expect when you pay more. Looking for people feedback on the upgraded camping to see whether that was worth the money. Thanks! 

Hi where was club class? I thought that just meant the hot showers - didn't realise there was a camping area. We were in deer lodge in the far field. It's not cheap but by the sounds of the nightmare teenagers that everyone's been posting about it's probably a good shout! There was a very young lad who woke us up early every morning but he was a lovely little boy and very well behaved! I would certainly recommend it all in all (although some loos in that far field would not go amiss ) 

21 minutes ago, Saturn5 said:

Hi where was club class? I thought that just meant the hot showers - didn't realise there was a camping area. We were in deer lodge in the far field. It's not cheap but by the sounds of the nightmare teenagers that everyone's been posting about it's probably a good shout! There was a very young lad who woke us up early every morning but he was a lovely little boy and very well behaved! I would certainly recommend it all in all (although some loos in that far field would not go amiss ) 

Club class was literally a shower and toilet area in great Holmes camping on the way to main arena - it wasn't a separate campsite and anyone who paid for it could use it irrespective of what camp site they were in. It was £35 each for the weekend inc BF on top of the standard camping price - I'd say it's debateable whether it was worth it.

How were the showers in deer lodge? We're there any food stalls? And am I right thinking that you could park right next to it? 

Thanks! 

Well they say you can park right next to it but as we were in the far field it was still a right trek uphill from the car. Showers were just ok and were next to the loos right near the pod pads. This was still a 5 minute or so walk into the next field, whereas with Emporers they were right there. I used clubclass showers once and they were nice and hot but the wait was horrendous wasn't it? You pay for the quiet and the space in Deer Losge. There was a coffee van in the other field too near the showers but I didn't use it. The bell tents and pod pads are mainly near everything but the lotus tents (which I prefer) are the ones a bit further away. 

We were in Emperors.

Our parking space was right by the car park entrance and we chose to camp right at the bottom of the early risers section, so the 4 trips to the car and back was considerably longer than I'd been expecting. That was our choice however, and managed to move the car closer on Sunday which made the lugging back much easier.

Didnt use the showers but friends did and said they were clean and hot. early risers so the queue was minimal, though some queued for an hour later.

Choice of food limited, but if you've got a relatively short trip to the car then it's easy enough to bring more cooking gear. I've done enough festivals to be weary of the outlets around the campsite, always a much better choice inside.

Cannot compare to general camping, but I'd use again if paying monthly as the difference in price wasn't too noticeable.

We really enjoyed staying in Emperors Field. We arrived about 10am no traffic jams. The main field was getting busy even at that time but we got a great spot up by the porta loos towards the arena, approx 5 minutes walk from the car.

Everyone that was around us were all friendly and never had any hassle, 

We had a dead battery this morning so very grateful for the help from 2 lots of people helping us to get jump leads and starting the car... was very much appreciated when they were busy loading up all there own gear. 

It was our first Kendal Calling (great time) and we booked a pre-erected bell tent at Deer Lodge because carting loads of stuff is difficult for us these days given my husband's walking difficulties. We did end up parked a fair way from our tent because the tent was furthest from the car park. If I did it again, I'd ask them to put us closer to the car park but we coped. The bell tent itself was great. No complaints at all. There weren't enough loos and showers though for the number camped there. The loos were ok-ish. Didn't try the showers as the queues were always massive - I'd have been disappointed if I booked Deer Lodge so I could wash my hair everyday but I can live with dry shampoo, a hat and a large pack of baby wipes for four days. There was one coffee and panini place which was pretty busy. I think that was partly due to the fact that rain stopped us and others using their camping stoves to put the kettle on in the mornings. They could probably do with more than one outlet though. 

We were chatting to the people in the pod pads behind us who said they wouldn't ever pay for one of those again - there's just no room for muddy gear (well anything really). Pod pads are the same wherever so that's not a criticism of Kendal but they are tiny. Our tent was more because it came with a bed and bedding but I'd say the unfurnished bell tents are way better than the pod pads. We took a look at the fancy safari suites with their en suites - fantastic but so is the price. 

As somebody has mentioned the noise/singing (very late) one night was pretty bad - it's a festival yes but I think we all expect some sleep in that type of camping field. I don't know who got them to STFU but hats off to them! Don't think it was security which seemed to be absent ..... 

Overall, yes we'd do the bell tent again or, in the event of a lottery win, a safari tent but I think our first choice would be a camper van.

It's fair to say the pads are not ideal when the weather turns wet, but compared to a tent they are luxury; solid walls to lean on so you can remove your wellys in the doorway, the rain bounces off the roof instead of weighing it lower and lower, and best of all it doesn't blow down or wash away. For us it's become a necessity rather than a luxury.

Edited by Tug life
Spellingses

Usually bring our own tent to Emperors but this time had a podpad. Used these at a few festivals but will never take one at KC again. Whoever decided it was a good idea to place them on a slope, on the other side of a walkway from showers, a washing up point, and the toilets, is a complete idiot that wants sacking. That walkway would have been muddy regardless of rain.

This is still a great wee festival but just signs that it's starting on a little bit of a slide. Security very shabby, to the point of being non existent in places, quite an increase in drugged up, scummy, filthy feral youth leading to more litter, more can throwing etc.

stewarding & help also not of previous high standards, garbage bags never replenished where we were..... that kind of thing.

I think there was an attempt to appeal more to youth this year with the booking of some acts & that's maybe attracted a crowd that would have went to T in the Park usually.

As I said, I really like KC & think they need to have a little rethink & it wouldn't take to much to make it as good as it's been previously. I enjoyed myself as always but I don't want the festival to slide.

15 minutes ago, dannyfletcher said:

I tested out my video camera thing on the Friday. It has a bit at the start filmed in the Deer Lodge to give an idea. I'm no Speilberg so dont expect anything wow. Music from 3 artists i loved over the weekend.

Good tunes :-) who are the 3.

Decent quality picture. The fish around 8mins were my highlight.