lazzareo

Family friendly festivals

What are peoples views on the best family friendly festivals in the UK?

I am looking for ideas for 2018 after this weekends Y Not shambles so looking to avoid any owned by Global.

Bluedot was absolutely brilliant. Also would have gone to OnBlackheath again this year if it weren't for a poor line up. Not sure if it'll be around next year tbh

Camp Bestival is supposed to be very good.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, lazzareo said:

What are peoples views on the best family friendly festivals in the UK?

I am looking for ideas for 2018 after this weekends Y Not shambles so looking to avoid any owned by Global.

Look no further than Latitude.

For my money the friendliest festival going + the weather seems to be bone dry every year. 

43 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Look no further than Latitude.

For my money the friendliest festival going + the weather seems to be bone dry every year. 

Agree it is a great family festival, although some of the arts side has slipped the last two years.

The great hing is it's lack of mud, even when had a couple of wet years never gets particularly muddy as its sandy soil so drains away except in a couple of places but they can be avoided.

Bearded Theory - second May bank holiday weekend - and therefore the first weekend of summer half term holiday for most regions.

OFSTED approved school curriculum on the Friday enabling parents to legitimately ask to take their children out of regular school for the day. Over an acre of kids area with almost no additional charges for the activities.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

womad.

A bigger list of free kids activities than any other festival (including Glasto).

Without being school while the parents are on the piss.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

A bigger list of free kids activities than any other festival (including Glasto).

Without being school while the parents are on the piss.

WOMAD doesn't need to do a school as it's not in term time.

Having an OFSTED approved curriculum on site does not absolve parents from their responsibilities as parents.

• Upvote 1

I think it really depends on the family make up and what the family like as a whole, so that everyone gets things they like.

For example when my kids were small Camp Bestival was great fun for them and virtually everyone there is a child or parent. Mr Tumble and Dick and Dom in the morning on the main stage have been known to pull crowds as big as the headliners! These days there isn't really enough for their older age group.

However, they're now in their older teens and are more into the music, so Latitude works well as there's a wide variety of bands for young and old and a relatively laid back atmosphere. Our kids also like to sit in the comedy tent and watch a play or two in the theatre. 

I think going to a festival with a baby is different from a toddler, likewise a 5 year old, 10 year old or 15 year old. I've done a whole variety depending on the kids age. 

Edited by rseamer

Just now, rseamer said:

I think it really depends on the family make up and what the family like as a whole, so that everyone gets things they like.

For example when my kids were small Camp Bestival was great fun for them and virtually everyone there is a child or parent. Mr Tumble and Dick and Dom in the morning on the main stage have been known to pull crowds as big as the headliners! These days there isn't really enough for their older age group.

That's a good point...ours will be 11 & 9 next year and we enjoy a mix of bands and activities but more akin to what we did at Beautiful Days a couple of years back where they make things from wood such as mallets etc...

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

womad.

Agreed- we loved it last year

We did Deershed this year which was good in some ways with tons for the kids today but in my opinion didn't last long enough- only had 1 full day as you arrive Friday and leave Sunday

Edited by dondo

Correctly stated above - depends how old your children are and what you and they like to do.

We have done lots of different types as well as your festival needs evolve as the children age. We are doing 4 this year and they are all different - none of them perfect.

At the moment Green Man is our main family festival but teens aren't that well catered for but at least it is small enough that you can let them roam. Latitude would probably be better in that respect but it is too Waitrose for us. You have to choose where your compromises are.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:21 AM, eFestivals said:

womad.

and because it's just come to mind....

Clean loos, every year. To my knowledge no other festival manages to keep their loos as clean (tho of course there's always the odd exception; they can only be as good as the last person who used them).

54 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and because it's just come to mind....

Clean loos, every year. To my knowledge no other festival manages to keep their loos as clean (tho of course there's always the odd exception; they can only be as good as the last person who used them).

Bearded Theory toilets are always spotless. All weekend, even on the Monday morning.  

• Upvote 1

+1 for Bluedot, it was ace again this year, my kids absolutely loved it. Unfortunately not able to go next year due to it being in term time and the wife teaching next year (gutted). I couldn't recommend it highly enough for families, especially the education/science/space/comedy side of things which most kids would really enjoy. Very family friendly, both the punters and the staff, a really nice vibe again this year. Toilets were much improved over last year, camping areas were great with loads of space. Site quite small as well which helps with kids

On 01/08/2017 at 8:13 AM, neil999 said:

Standon calling

Having just returned from Standon (after 5 or so Camp Bestivals) I can highly recommend it for anyone with Kids over 9.  Camp Bestival is excellent, but Standon is more local to me (hertfordshire), and less full of buggies.  Stacks of families, and a great vibe.

Just got back from Lakefest. Not the biggest but possibly the most chilled out you can get. Plenty of kids there and no 17-20s on hippy crack. Would recommend, our 2nd year and will be going again. Bands in the day not so well known but doesnt mean they wont be and the last 2 or 3 on the line up always well known. 

Edited by Cadski

The Green Gathering. 

Free for kids under 11 years, £55 for 11-15 year olds.

Lots of family and child-friendly activities all across site as well as a concentration of kids stuff in the Kids Garden and on the Village Green. Big, spacious, rolling site with open areas and wooded copses for running around and playing in too.

www.greengathering.org.uk/kids-teens/

Two standout for me:  Wychwood at Cheltenham Racecourse and The Green Man near Abergavenny.

Wychwood is a relatively small site so kids will be able to orientate themselves and not get lost and there are loads of activities for kids (it's run in conjunction with the Roald Dahl Foundation and Waterstones Books and has lots of children's writers and workshops as well as fun craft things to do.

The Green Man is possibly the best organised fest I've been to and has big kids areas with all sorts of fun things to do.