Festival cancelled due to mud

The other Bellboy

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

So unprofessional isn't it?

i'm gobsmacked, I was in shock yesterday just how badly organised it was, thats one thing. If they/he would have thrown their hands up and apologised and said we messed up, refunds coming them then fair enough but their response...

the chap who put this on, isnt from liverpool or any knowledge of the space and the city comes back badly, tbf the council should have done more, why did they allow a festival to go ahead without the planned access bridge is beyond me

This was such a weird event yesterday. Absolute mess as others have said, and such a shame as only small changes would've made it a great event

we got in, after queuing yes but I don't worry too much about that especially as so many turned up at once for the early bands. And it all seemed lovely, with places to sit, sun was out etc.

but as more people came in it was clear there would be an issue as the pathway to all the toilets and other areas was tiny, and essentially was a huge safety hazard. They put barriers in that helped make it a two way street but it was always going to be really difficult with such a small space. There was talk on the Facebook page when they had their rant that there was supposed to be a bridge/path but I don't understand where it would've gone as that was the only way through. I don't really know how it all got past health and safety. There was a 20 minute wait to get from main stage to toilet area after embrace and I think that's where people gave up and left due to feeling unsafe as it didn't happen again  

Bar queues just got mental throughout the day, and there just weren't enough toilets. It didn't help that there were no signs for the urinals behind the main toilets as that would've reduced the toilet queues. I only realised later in the day that they were there, by accident really. 

They sorted the second stage bar later by adding a proper queuing system but the main one there was no chance. I ended up getting a drink in 5 mins while starsailor were on at second stage but the main one was still rammed 

Theres talk of overselling but I had two people randomly boasting to me that they'd got in on the cheap through various scams as I don't think they were scanning tickets properly. Organisers fault but I think there were a lot of people getting in through 'other' means.  

I also saw someone walking through the crowd carrying a couple of day wristbands, and those who seemed off their faces and seeming a bit aggro all had the same wristbands on but seemingly had no interest in James, so I think something went on there. Basically, a disproportionate number of day wristbands. There weee some 'enterprising' people outside I think! 

I cant believe there were people outside with tickets who couldn't get in though. 

It all got better throughout the day and as with Y not we just got on with it. But the only reason it got better is people leaving made it quieter, which makes me feel quite bad to be fair.

I didn't expect there to be a Sunday from about 3pm yesterday. I'm amazed we weren't shut down then to be honest. 

And their social media behaviour is disgraceful. There is no chance of refunds imo  

So two weekends ruined in a row. Made the best of each but couldn't really 'let go' and enjoy it either time. I put a lot on my festivals and use them as escapism and both of them have been ruined this summer by poor organisation. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, Ommadawn said:

There won't be any trouble at the Glastonbury Extravaganza I can assure you. The zimmer frames are as bad as fold up chairs though and you'll have to dodge the Champaign corks. :rolleyes:

Didn't even manage to get our seats set up before getting hit by a champagne cork! Really enjoyed the day though, Mr E paid a visit to the camp site and said hello to many folk.

Food and drink a bit limited in the Abbey and really bloody expensive but still a good choice to go and experience it

Forgot to say - remembered the comments from another thread about the lack of clanging on the long drop doors, so had a good look this time - they have fitted some sort of damper arrangement to the top hinge - really needed a good pull to get the door to close, no chance of any banging with these

Edited by The other Bellboy
missed a bit

Find it genuinley depressing how it appears so many companies are profiteering on the "festival experience" at the moment. Just trying to make a quick buck and doing nothing for the punter. Seems like something that come about very recently too (despite the popularity of festivals now for a decade or so) which is a bit odd.

Not music related but there was a Rum festival in southampton that had made so many promises about what the festival would entail, which sounded a lot of fun and it ended up being so turgid the promoters deleted the facebook page for the event as they were getting so many negative comments! 

Does makes you appreciate Glastonbury even more though despite its own flaws! 

Edited by Tyonks

On 30/07/2017 at 1:02 PM, BlackHole2006 said:

Been looking at the Y-Not thread and apparently there have been a huge number of thefts this year to the point where the police stepped in and they got their licence revoked. 

I don't want to point fingers but looks like they might be using the mud as a smokescreen for what's really going on behind the scenes. 

I agree old son.... Looking at the pictures there's green grass.. It's looked a tab muddy but christ we at Glastonbury half expect that sort of mud lol but I don't think that's why they shut down Y...... Apparently the security didn't give a toss and people were just camping anyway no one was checking wristbands.. Sounded like a right mess.. 

Soz just reposted a post I posted yesterday 

It's not been a good summer for festival goers has it.. Mud... bad management what's going on.. 

The mud at Y didnt seem that bad... I know I wasn't there........but glasto mud is MUD like real mud and I could not see Mr E closing down the festival for that.. 

H&G just sounds like the person running it has got their money and thought fuck it I'm off... Again I'm not there..... But when it comes down to it it's the punters who suffer.. Can anyone tell me if there is a board of someone that people can complain to.. Like the airlines or holiday firms and.......... I know there's not.......... If not then there should be.. 

1 hour ago, august1 said:

You can't fuck up a big public event that people have paid good money for, cancel the second day, start trolling on your computer and expect anything other than OTT responses. They've given out the personal details of their chosen scapegoat (i..e name and e-mail address) - they're not exactly in a position of virtue.

It doesn't make the personal abuse correct or just, but FFS they come across like they're actively seeking it now. Take responsibility.

11 minutes ago, OneLittleFish said:

You can't fuck up a big public event that people have paid good money for, cancel the second day, start trolling on your computer and expect anything other than OTT responses. They've given out the personal details of their chosen scapegoat (i..e name and e-mail address) - they're not exactly in a position of virtue.

It doesn't make the personal abuse correct or just, but FFS they come across like they're actively seeking it now. Take responsibility.

Spot on 

They tweeted to Tim Booth of James "Sit down and go back to your yoga". 

I hope that the ticketholders receive full refunds and I truly hope that these individuals who proudly keep saying how things weren't their fault never hold another event again. So sad to see fellow festival goers be fleeced for their money and end up with a miserable time :(

1 minute ago, OneLittleFish said:

So not the first time they tried to blame the event manager. Horrible, grubby person.

He also has had a run in with the IOW council/authority over money, I looked on his personal facebook ( now deleted) and he clearly has a chip on his shoulder over it, calling the IOW full of peados.

My reading of it, purely based on reading up today is he is clearly connected in the industry and is probably ok at booking bands/helping his bands out but putting on a event is way beyond his skill set.

Jesus wept, I was going to go to this festival but moved out of Liverpool on Thursday. Dodged a bullet there, what an under shambles. It's like the Twitter feed is run by the pissed off work experience kid.

Surely there's some sort of ombudsman-like body for live music events or something? Really feel for all those let down by piss poor planning. 

18 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Jesus wept, I was going to go to this festival but moved out of Liverpool on Thursday. Dodged a bullet there, what an under shambles. It's like the Twitter feed is run by the pissed off work experience kid.

Surely there's some sort of ombudsman-like body for live music events or something? Really feel for all those let down by piss poor planning. 

Are we sure it's a genuine account? There was a hope & glory PR account trolling punters earlier on. I haven't really looked