Festival cancelled due to mud

The other Bellboy

1 hour ago, The other Bellboy said:

Did you see that video of the girl getting rugby tackled from behind in the mud pit? Bet she was as sore as f*** when the shock wore off, looked really nasty!

2 hours ago, Badlands said:

Just seen a video of that fight at Kendal, absolutely crackers! What goes through these kids heads?

I initially thought they were the same thing.  Apparently not.  Cant see the campsite one, but havnt looked very hard admittedly!

I went to 6 KC's and enjoyed them, but by 2015 it had got a little more bored Cumbrian teenager than decent festival.  PRob try it again next summer though having said that!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The girl being tackled looks like not much fun - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/kendal-calling-girl-knocked-over-13409479

But apparently "A female festival goer was examined by St John's Ambulance after an incident in the mud. She was checked out, found to be fine and went back in to enjoy the festival."

Not wanting to sound insensitive but seen much more horseplay at glasto over the years and folk mostly walk off fine

3 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

The girl being tackled looks like not much fun - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/kendal-calling-girl-knocked-over-13409479

But apparently "A female festival goer was examined by St John's Ambulance after an incident in the mud. She was checked out, found to be fine and went back in to enjoy the festival."

Not wanting to sound insensitive but seen much more horseplay at glasto over the years and folk mostly walk off fine

Sounds like PR bullshit to me... she was out cold for fair amount of time. decent stewarding would have stopped that bollocks much sooner. There's other vids about showing mosh pits that looked like young dickless w*nkers swinging punches and battering on purpose. 

Ahhh for the good old days when only real music fans went to festivals instead of pricks looking for a cheap local version of Ibiza or Ayia Napa. 

IMG_8106.JPG

That campsite fight video is pretty awful - but always feels a bit of an inevitable consequence of lots of booze and the big promotion that fighting gets these days :(

It'll be interesting to see if the girl involves speaks up - that would be some proper bad publicity if she was injured

1 hour ago, Bonaneas said:

Ahhh for the good old days when only real music fans went to festivals instead of pricks looking for a cheap local version of Ibiza or Ayia Napa. 

Now I've not really been going long enough to say this from experience but this sounds like nostalgic bollocks to me. Trying to create a fantasy past where everyone at festivals got along constantly and no one ever got hurt.

Edited by Mash011

37 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Now I've not really been going long enough to say this from experience but this sounds like nostalgic bollocks to me. Trying to create a fantasy past where everyone at festivals got along constantly and no one ever got hurt.

Nowt to do with nostalgia lil miss trying to pick a fight! Cheeky fucker.

There are plenty of festivals these days full of lovely, respectful, music loving folk who are there for a bloody good time, but there are some that are becoming full of young dicks just there to get shit faced and get all lairy and treat it like just another weekend in Amsterdam or Magaluf. 

Download & Glasto don't get those marauding packs of ketheads just there to get fucked up and cause a ruck so they get likes on FB or instsgram. All are there for the music. Ive seen one fight at either of those two festivals over the years, and it involved me, unfortunately (protecting a GF from a mouthy aggressive little shit) Seen lots at other festivals. 

Find that video of the brawl at KC yday, the thread and replies are full of pubeless little pricks bragging it was them and their mates. Not right in the head. 

Is it because there are too many 'festivals' nowadays ? Typical of how the country is right now? (The mainstream co-opting the music 'scene' or whatever).

If so why the difference in vibe and safety between different ones in the same season? Glasto doesn't cut corners and has so many stewards and welfare officers and security which all helps it feel so chilled and safe and fun. (It wasn't exactjy like that in the 90s granted!) 

On 7/30/2017 at 11:01 PM, Memory Man said:

these are the only major festival Fuck ups I can recall over the last 12 months or so.  they are all run by the same company.

ummmm .... which forum is this in? Did you go last year?

There may or may not have been extra corners cut at Y-Not, but to say that inadequate organisation is only from one source is stretching things. 

On 7/30/2017 at 2:29 PM, justanothername said:

There was an article posted on The Line of Best Fit about Y Not and Truck and it's organisation this which has mysteriously disappeared

Still exists on Google cache

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LVG_1ekRU1oJ:https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/features/festivals/truck-y-not-festivals-put-families-at-risk-amid-wet-conditions+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Doesn't pull any punches...

Edited by Keithy

9 hours ago, Mash011 said:

It's been gong on for as long as I've been going to festivals, there were full blown riots at Leeds 02.

My two penneth worth....

I suspect the issues are a combination of pre-existing issues with the count of ten bods, who are still running the event, and the new corporate overlord in Global.

While i haven't done YNot, i have been to Truck most years it's been on. It sounds like there are similar issues at both events

• Low steward/security staff numbers
  • Poor briefings for staff
  • Lack of toilets
  • Insufficient size of camping areas
  • Poor traffic management on and off site

From friends who were doing the backline at YNot it seems they also suffered from an inappropriate stage, lack of dry storage areas for equipment and poor access to the backstage compound - directly leading to the cancellation and re-ordering of acts.

For Truck, at least, these have been issues for the last few years, of course when you have a perfectly dry and sunny event they don't cause major problems and are just a small gripe for punters - but when the weather goes to shit it all descends into chaos pretty quickly. This is the first time I have heard about the poor treatment of traders, at both events, including lack of radios and emergency packs at the event - and bad mouthing them on social media after.

If i was being cynical I might think the corner cutting that started a couple of years ago was to  try and make the events saleable, of course it's more than likely its just due to trying to break even/minimise losses. It's a shame, as i thought their approach of selling cheap base tickets with lots of upgrades was a pretty good way of ensuring the events remain accessible to all, I certainly took advantage of their more 'premium' offerings and didn't feel it was bad value compared to other events.

I still have big issues with Global, and am not looking forward to their likely acquisition announcement towards the end of the year. I suspect by 2018 they will be looking at close to half the medium size festival market which is pretty terrible news for festival goers. The only hope is that the insurance claims they are hit with from YNot (and possibly some from Truck) make them slow down their plans to dominate the market.

Edited by blackred

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

anyway ... am just reading the review from the guy efests sent to review ... and he's not being shy about calling it.

just so you know if you want to send me to review Glastonbury 2019 I am available and i won't charge. 

i will be purely be there to review from a non bias prospective

ps Glasto rules

11 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

Download & Glasto don't get those marauding packs of ketheads just there to get fucked up and cause a ruck so they get likes on FB or instsgram. All are there for the music.

If you really think that everyone at Glasto is 'there for the music' I don't know what to tell you, thankfully I've not seen any violence at Glastonbury however I have seen people just going there primarily to get fucked up/ post about it on Instagram.

11 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

If so why the difference in vibe and safety between different ones in the same season? Glasto doesn't cut corners and has so many stewards and welfare officers and security which all helps it feel so chilled and safe and fun. (It wasn't exactjy like that in the 90s granted!) 

Yeah I agree with this, Glastonbury doesn't go overboard on security constantly treating everyone with suspicion/ patting them down and whatnot meaning that maybe the security have more of a chance to... you know, create a safe environment and stop violence? Maybe if more commercial festivals were less concerned than someone sneaking a couple of cans into the main arena they could deal with these issues.

I keep reading about ket thugs in this thread, but I thought it was a psychedelic sedative, so not likely to cause violent behaviour.  I'd imagine that cocaine and it's cheaper analogues would be the more likely candidate.  Not having any experience with either (but having encountered plenty of folk who use and abuse both) I could be wrong, of course.

33 minutes ago, blackred said:

I still have big issues with Global, and am not looking forward to their likely acquisition announcement towards the end of the year. I suspect by 2018 they will be looking at close to half the medium size festival market which is pretty terrible news for festival goers. The only hope is that the insurance claims they are hit with from YNot (and possibly some from Truck) make them slow down their plans to dominate the market.

Out of interest, who are you thinking of here?

Having had some experience with DHP, I think they're more likely to buy than sell at the moment. Shambala and Bearded Theory seem intent on remaining independent (thankfully), and most of the other events on the circuit are either too small to be on the radar or already in bed with Live Nation or AEG.

The only ones I can think of are Sunday Best and/or Loudsound, giving them a stake in that portfolio - but I don't know enough about either company to know if that's a runner.

Edited by incident

45 minutes ago, incident said:

Out of interest, who are you thinking of here?

Having had some experience with DHP, I think they're more likely to buy than sell at the moment. Shambala and Bearded Theory seem intent on remaining independent (thankfully), and most of the other events on the circuit are either too small to be on the radar or already in bed with Live Nation or AEG.

The only ones I can think of are Sunday Best and/or Loudsound, giving them a stake in that portfolio - but I don't know enough about either company to know if that's a runner.

DHP would have been my guess, they certainly fit the profile of their other acquisitions. Loudsound would be quite the coup - would that be enough to make them bigger than LiveNation in the UK?

Apart from those, any of the independents that have a strong record of selling out and have expansion potential, not sure size is as much of an issue - they have picked up some pretty small events, and some of those had recently expanded (Truck was only 5k a couple of years ago, YNot was <10k).

Hopefully this years events slow them down, will be sad if the UK festival market effectively ends up as duopoly.

6 hours ago, Keithy said:

He certainly doesn't and if all that's true or even just some of it then the organisers and it sounds like a lot of the staff should be completely ashamed of themselves - absolutely disgusting!

Thank you GFL - we know for sure that we will never be put in such a situation under your watch!

Tickets even harder to get now for sure;) 

The impact of Broadwick was very noticeable at Number 6 last year. Corners cut all over the place, much more boutique camping and actual chaos in the run up to the festival. This was all before the parking disaster on the last day. They don't seem to be building a brilliant reputation...

Well as a seasoned Glastonbury goer (every year since 2009  apart from this year due to having to go to a wedding), this is my thoughts that I posted in the Y Not thread:

it's a bit crazy really hearing all these stories and how bad people's weekends were. We arrived Thursday about 3, got a lovely spot in Whole Lotta Camping and had space, including grass! all weekend, and a nice group around us with no issues at all. I feel so bad for everyone elsewhere, as to us it was just a normal festival apart from the issues with the bands. We were at Glasto 2016 and were actually just comparing how much easier it is to walk around the whole time in comparison to there because it's smaller. I think because we only had to spend time in a certain corner of the campsites with an arena entrance near us we completely missed the mess elsewhere. 

I enjoyed Stereophonics, Frank Turner, Cast and JAWS and just having a good time with friends. It's a big shame it was so awful for everyone else

Just to say to a comment I saw earlier that I think the kids getting pissed up / drugged up is no different to last year or any other festival really, it comes with the territory, and it won't have been them robbing tents but organised gangs. 

Just to also say it was clear from Saturday that any more rain and we'd be cancelled, when they changed the main stage times, an admission they couldn't get bands on stage if it rained. Which is shambolic, as every other festival manages it. I believe there was a huge downpour during Cast on Friday as I noticed the mud had doubled when I came out of there, and that could sort of excuse the vaccines cancellation if that was in isolation but it was clear from earlier in the day there wasn't a chance a band was playing if it was raining again. 

I can see why it was cancelled now from what people were saying. Though as it was such a big company running it this year, I wouldn't expect much in the way of refunds. Big corporates just don't care as their shareholders are way more important, it's just the way of the world (that we allow to happen)

But that was my personal experience, lots of tent thefts and people "feeling unsafe" obviously makes it bad for others, though I do wonder if some of that is putting opposite demographics on campsites next to each other i.e. families and "rock n roll camping", which meant that the families had to walk through the mad teen campsite to get to the arena. Normally the two wouldn't really meet. Obviously the thefts are terrible

Didn't see one bit of woodchipping all weekend, anywhere so don't know why they're throwing that one out there saying how much they'd got. 

So this year I've missed Glastonbury due to a wedding, Isle of Wight as a backup was scuppered due to another wedding, and Y Not cancelled half the bands I wanted to see. As my next camping festival is the Global owned Festival Number 6, I feel my festival enjoyment this year is reliant on the unlikely source of Hope and Glory festival in Liverpool this coming weekend, which seems to be putting customers first from their brilliant social media performance

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Well as a seasoned Glastonbury goer (every year since 2009  apart from this year due to having to go to a wedding), this is my thoughts that I posted in the Y Not thread:

But that was my personal experience, lots of tent thefts and people "feeling unsafe" obviously makes it bad for others, though I do wonder if some of that is putting opposite demographics on campsites next to each other i.e. families and "rock n roll camping", which meant that the families had to walk through the mad teen campsite to get to the arena. Normally the two wouldn't really meet. Obviously the thefts are terrible

Didn't see one bit of woodchipping all weekend, anywhere so don't know why they're throwing that one out there saying how much they'd got. 

So this year I've missed Glastonbury due to a wedding, Isle of Wight as a backup was scuppered due to another wedding, and Y Not cancelled half the bands I wanted to see. As my next camping festival is the Global owned Festival Number 6, I feel my festival enjoyment this year is reliant on the unlikely source of Hope and Glory festival in Liverpool this coming weekend, which seems to be putting customers first from their brilliant social media performance

You need to stop getting married and find one ya like;)

Seriously its hard to believe how different your experience was than some of the other reports i've read, we know how different the experience can be at Glasto for each of us, but its such a massive site and its so easy for people to have a hundred different experiences, but at a smaller festival i'm surprised that it can still be so varied just by a few details changing - you had a great time and i'm really glad you did.

Never been to a small festival, don't which is the smallest out of T, Reading or Download but i would still class all of those a big i guess. Doing the Abbey Extrav' next weekend and this will be the smallest event i've ever been too but can't imagine any issues at all.

We were seriously thinking of a smaller family friendly one next year - will be a lot more research required before any decisions made after these events.   

2 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

You need to stop getting married and find one ya like;)

Seriously its hard to believe how different your experience was than some of the other reports i've read, we know how different the experience can be at Glasto for each of us, but its such a massive site and its so easy for people to have a hundred different experiences, but at a smaller festival i'm surprised that it can still be so varied just by a few details changing - you had a great time and i'm really glad you did.

Never been to a small festival, don't which is the smallest out of T, Reading or Download but i would still class all of those a big i guess. Doing the Abbey Extrav' next weekend and this will be the smallest event i've ever been too but can't imagine any issues at all.

We were seriously thinking of a smaller family friendly one next year - will be a lot more research required before any decisions made after these events.   

There won't be any trouble at the Glastonbury Extravaganza I can assure you. The zimmer frames are as bad as fold up chairs though and you'll have to dodge the Champaign corks. :rolleyes: