Mercury Prize 2017

jyoung

The shortlist is announced in twenty minutes. Who do we think will make an appearance? Who will be cruelly overlooked? Will anyone from Glasto make the list? Does anyone even care anymore? etc. 

The first to spring to mind for me is Julie Byrne with Not Even Happiness.

Edited by jyoung

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alt-J: Relaxer

The Big Moon: Love in the 4th Dimension

Blossoms: Blossoms

Loyle Carner: Yesterday’s Gone

Dinosaur: Together, As One

Glass Animals: How to Be a Human Being

J Hus: Common Sense

Sampha: Process

Ed Sheeran: ÷

Stormzy: Gang Signs & Prayer

Kate Tempest: Let Them Eat Chaos

The xx: I See You

What the hell is Ed Sheeran doing there? Wasn't even a good album by his standards. Blossoms can do one too, jesus christ. Sick of London Grammar being underappreciated. Stormzy or Glass Animals or Sampha to win but for the first time in a while I don't care this year

Edited by Zac Quinn

3 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Think you need to check her Wikipedia :P 

I didn't for a second even think about the fact the award is for British musicians and Julie Byrne is American despite already knowing both those pieces of information. That's the last time I try to be interested in something rather uninteresting.

Also, some food for thought. Would a format change be of benefit? I know it's not all about the prize money (the sales boost alone is extraordinary) but 20k is gonna help a band earlier in their career that isn't on a major label endlessly more than it will ever benefit Ed Sheeran.

Edited by jyoung

Just now, jyoung said:

Also, some food for thought. Would a format change be of benefit? I know it's not all about the prize money (the sales boost is extraordinary) but 20k is gonna help a band earlier in their career that isn't on a major label endlessly more than it will ever benefit Ed Sheeran.

don't honestly see much benefit from it still being restricted to British artists, either

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

oh right. that's odd, surely albums released a week before today won't have stood a chance. i thought the cut-off would have been about 2 months ago or something.

The Big Moon were just on 6 Music saying they found out about being nominated two weeks ago? So before the cut-off date? What a farce.

12 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

oh right. that's odd, surely albums released a week before today won't have stood a chance. i thought the cut-off would have been about 2 months ago or something.

Dunno, it's done by a panel of music bods so they would've had copies of everything released last week months ago 

9 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Ed Sheeran will be halfway through the American leg of his tour in September, so probably won't even turn up to the ceremony. Literally what is the point.

So you shouldn't be eligible for the award if you're not going to be at the ceremony? Nonsense Zac fella. If the premise of the whole shebang is based solely on the album , then it shouldn't make a hapeth of difference.

Whether it's worthy of inclusion is a different story entirely....

Loyle Carner and Sampha are two of my faves this year so pleased to see them on there. They seem to have stepped back from the token folk and jazz efforts this year.

1 minute ago, Badlands said:

So you shouldn't be eligible for the award if you're not going to be at the ceremony? Nonsense Zac fella. If the premise of the whole shebang is based solely on the album , then it shouldn't make a hapeth of difference.

nah course not, but if they were planning to use his attendance as a handy bit of PR then his nomination would at least make a bit of sense even if in a crap way

maybe Marcus Mumford just really likes Galway Girl.

If Skepta hadn't won last year, I reckon this would've been Stormzy's to lose. As Ghost said above though, I can't see them giving it to Grime two years in a row.

Personally, I'm backing Glass Animals. Great album with great storytelling, and it's been a while since a guitar band won!