Slam Dunk 2018

LRDJ

I'm bored and feel like discussing the next iteration of my favourite festival.

Who do you think will be headlining/playing next year? 

Bands I could see headlining:

Sum 41

Good Charlotte (tour beforehand though)

Jimmy Eat World

All Time Low (after their poor last album)

Brand New (lol)

Pierce the Veil/Sleeping With Sirens (are they big enough?)

Bands I can see playing:

Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes

Basement

Knocked Loose

PVRIS

Architects

State Champs

Four Year Strong

Moose Blood

Code Orange

Against The Current

Creeper

Underoath

MxPx (I can pray)

You Me At Six

Knuckle Puck

Etc.

I have many more ideas but these seem the most likely to me in my uninspired state.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I can see Parkway Drive headlining this 

I thought that Architects/Parkway Drive could do it but then thought they'd be too heavy for a headliner seeing as Slam Dunk seems to be leaning towards softer stuff year-by-year too.

9 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

I think PVRIS might be a decent bet to actually headline, not actually playing further down. Certainly no smaller than recent headliners.

They're doing one night at Brixton, Panic did two nights at Ally Pally and Shikari are doing an arena tour, they're nowhere near as big or as much of a pull.

Architects is a good shout if they're still active in 2018 and not taking time off. A main stage like this would be great: 

Architects 
PVRIS 
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes 
Marmozets 
Basement 
WSTR
Milk Teeth 

Edited by Andre91

I think 30 Seconds to Mars could do it. They've dropped off abit so I'd say their about the same size as the Shik nowadays

doubt it would be Architects or Parkway

I see you included YMAS as a non-headliner. Surely they haven't fallen off that much?

Edited by Steve1000

14 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I think 30 Seconds to Mars could do it. They've dropped off abit so I'd say their about the same size as the Shik nowadays

I'd love that myself, I think they'd own it but would Jared's ego take it? Plus I think a lot of people underestimate their size because they only release music every 4 years so everyone forgets about them in that time.

16 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I see you included YMAS as a non-headliner. Surely they haven't fallen off that much?

Their last couple of tours didn't sell too well and their latest album tanked, they're playing much smaller venues than the arenas they were playing now but could probably headline with a Take Off Your Colours anniversary show. Not that I think that'd happen as back to back anniversary headliners would be unlikely imo.

3 minutes ago, LRDJ said:

I'd love that myself, I think they'd own it but would Jared's ego take it? Plus I think a lot of people underestimate their size because they only release music every 4 years so everyone forgets about them in that time.

Their last couple of tours didn't sell too well and their latest album tanked, they're playing much smaller venues than the arenas they were playing now but could probably headline with a Take Off Your Colours anniversary show. Not that I think that'd happen as back to back anniversary headliners would be unlikely imo.

I'd expect Jared would prefer to feel like he owns the festival, rather than a lower slot at Reading or Download

I can't comment much on You Me but still they were considered so strong in 2014, and feel miles ahead of any previous sub over here. It'd be w*nk if they headlined tho, same with ATL

11 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I can't comment much on You Me but still they were considered so strong in 2014, and feel miles ahead of any previous sub over here. It'd be w*nk if they headlined tho, same with ATL

I can bear ATL just from my nostalgia as a little emo 13 year old but I'm not a massive fan of YMAS so wouldn't care much, would rather have a new headliner or a better headliner though for sure.

I don't get the 30STM have dropped off argument. It comes up a lot in the R&L thread as well. They're still a big band and I'm confident they would still command a sub slot at a big festival like DL or R&L, so I don't think there's any way they would do Slam Dunk. 

As much as i'd like to see Brand New headline, it won't happen, they'll come to the UK once more before calling it quits and it'll be for their own shows.

Kinda hard to judge for Headliners as the last 3 years they've really stepped up and bagged some big headliners.

To me All Time Low seem to be the glaringly obvious candidate to headline next year but they could surprise us with someone that we didn't really consider like Shikari this year.

8 hours ago, Gozpot said:

As much as i'd like to see Brand New headline, it won't happen, they'll come to the UK once more before calling it quits and it'll be for their own shows.

Exactly my thoughts which is why I put lol after it, although if Slam Dunk managed to get them in the 1/1000000 chance they do it would be an absolutely masterful booking.

8 hours ago, Gozpot said:

To me All Time Low seem to be the glaringly obvious candidate to headline next year but they could surprise us with someone that we didn't really consider like Shikari this year.

The main reason I can think of it not being All Time Low is that they haven't toured their new album over here yet and usually tour late Feb/March time so would their tour be too close to the festival? Can't stand their new album but if they headlined again I can hope they'd bring out some classics they don't play live any more like The Girl's A Straight Up Hustler.

On 26/07/2017 at 8:06 PM, LRDJ said:

I thought that Architects/Parkway Drive could do it but then thought they'd be too heavy for a headliner seeing as Slam Dunk seems to be leaning towards softer stuff year-by-year too.

But Shikari headlined this year though? Infact it's been their heaviest headliners yet and the main stage had loads of heavy bands on it.

On 26/07/2017 at 10:39 PM, DomDom1984 said:

I think PVRIS might be a decent bet to actually headline, not actually playing further down. Certainly no smaller than recent headliners.

Not really though. Shikari are a bigger band by quite a bit and YM@6 doing Take Off Your Colours was massive as well. They're around the same size as Neck Deep would be fine subbing or headlining the 2nd stage. 

On 27/07/2017 at 1:34 AM, LRDJ said:

I'd love that myself, I think they'd own it but would Jared's ego take it?

I don't think they'd could fit it on the stage

20 hours ago, Gozpot said:

Kinda hard to judge for Headliners as the last 3 years they've really stepped up and bagged some big headliners

I swear they got lucky with panic and they weren't that big when they booked them but massively grew before the fest

Im finding this one hard to call

I don't think it will be Architects as surely they end up playing Download. Parkway Drive makes sense for me if there's no album out before festival season, as they could headline Slam Dunk and then get a 3rd down/2nd stage headline slot off the back of that new album in 2019. 

30 Seconds To Mars and ADTR waaaay too big (although A Day To Remember aren't headlining Download any time soon) and I can't see You Me At Six doing it again, even a nostalgic headline set would be fairly pointless since their 2015 one was. 

I reckon one of: Parkway Drive, All Time Low, Jimmy Eat World and Good Charlotte. Pierce The Veil maybe I don't know hopefully they're not big enough yet. 

I pray that PTV and SWS don't come near the festival tbh.

What about Falling In Reverse? When is Ronnie's ban lifted (hopefully never)? If they were ever available they'd surely be a shout to play sadly, although I'd much prefer them to PTV and SWS.

Would At The Drive In or Frank Turner ever be considered to play?

My fingers are crossed for Jimmy Eat World as I'm not seeing them at Leeds and I think they'd kill it.

I have Neck Deep down for headlining 2019 as long as this album doesn't flop (which it won't, even though I haven't liked any of the singles so far).

This would be my main stage:

Jimmy Eat World

PVRIS

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes

Moose Blood

Creeper

Basement

Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!

Casey

Throw in Four Year Strong, Boston Manor, Astroid Boys, Code Orange, The Story So Far and Trophy Eyes on long sets and I'd be in Heaven.

7 minutes ago, LRDJ said:

This would be my main stage:

Jimmy Eat World

PVRIS

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes

Moose Blood

Creeper

Basement

Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!

Casey

Throw in Four Year Strong, Boston Manor, Astroid Boys, Code Orange, The Story So Far and Trophy Eyes on long sets and I'd be in Heaven.

Looks decent but Creeper are deffo bigger than Moose Blood now and probably bigger than Frank

EDIT- actually their probably on par with Frank

Edited by Steve1000