EOTR v Green Man

Avon

Line-up wise I’d argue that this year’s Green Man is stronger than EOTR. PJ Harvey, Ryan Adams, Lift to Experience and Lambchop alone top anything on offer at Larmer Tree Gardens in my opinion. 

That said, I’ll be at EOTR. I was sorely tempted with Green Man but as I cannot afford both I went with my heart, which I think is testament to the amazing job Simon and the team have done over the years in developing a festival that's almost unmissable irrespective of who's playing. 

For those of you who have done both fests what are the relative merits of Green Man vs End of the Road?

48 minutes ago, Avon said:

Line-up wise I’d argue that this year’s Green Man is stronger than EOTR. PJ Harvey, Ryan Adams, Lift to Experience and Lambchop alone top anything on offer at Larmer Tree Gardens in my opinion.

I personally disagree. Sure the acts heading the bill may be better but Green Man can't match EOTR's overall line up. EOTR line up is stacked from top to bottom in my opinion whereas I think Green Man is very top heavy, which isn't great when clashes are taken into account.

I think Future Islands are a poor headliner but no more so than Mac DeMarco. 

Ryan Adams and PJ Harvey a stronger double bill than Bill Callahan and Father John Misty...though not much in it.

But EOTR definitely has a much better undercard for me but, hey, Green Man's looks good too!  

All in all it's EOTR 9/10, GM 8/10 (relative to other UK festivals, neither still a patch on Primavera Sound).

Green man lovely festival. Beautiful place . Not as beautiful as eotr though. Weather is very hit and miss. I went to the 2014 after selling my eotr ticket the line up just done it for me at the green man.  Beirut, bill Callahan,sun kill moon, Caribou, mac demarco, mercury rev, war on drugs, Sharron van etten, slint, panda bear, east India youth, kurt vile , real estate, neutral milk hotel,  

would I go again definitely. But I do prefer eotr location its just the best. But if I was not overly keen on the line up at eotr then I would do green man again. 

That said I would take lift to experience above any band on the line up at eotr

Edited by wolfamongwolves

Green Man has a cracking set of headliners, I think Green Man is a stronger lineup but the pull of FJM is just too strong for me.

went to Green Man a few years ago because it had Hot Chip, St Vincent, FJM, Jamie Xx and the Super Furries on the lineup,

nice festival great scenery but too many kids for my liking.

I think......in the past.....we would have either goto both or, if we had to choose, it would have been Green Man. Line up is better suited to me and the wife's tastes. HOWEVER.....as this is the first year we are taking our 'new' baby (she's not so new anymore, being one year old....), and still in a buggy, and what with Green Man having a higher percentage of being a quagmire, we thought we should leave it this year. Pushing a buggy through muddy swamps, i imagine, will not be fun. Its just unfortunate that this year the line up at GM is SO good....

Not like EOTR is, like, full of duffers. ITs good too, and i am VERY much looking forward to it. I love Nadine Shah. 

So......yeah.

18 hours ago, wolfamongwolves said:

Green man lovely festival. Beautiful place . Not as beautiful as eotr though. Weather is very hit and miss. I went to the 2014 after selling my eotr ticket the line up just done it for me at the green man.  Beirut, bill Callahan,sun kill moon, Caribou, mac demarco, mercury rev, war on drugs, Sharron van etten, slint, panda bear, east India youth, kurt vile , real estate, neutral milk hotel,  

would I go again definitely. But I do prefer eotr location its just the best. But if I was not overly keen on the line up at eotr then I would do green man again. 

That said I would take lift to experience above any band on the line up at eotr

I was at that Green Man. It was ace! 

I think GM is the better lineup this year..not by much though. Thee Oh Sees, Liars, PJ Harvey and the Shins, nobody touches those from the EOTR lineup for me. I do like the depth of the EOTR lineup though as has been much discussed.  

8 hours ago, xxialac said:

I think we all agree that EOTR and Green Man both have good lineups! 

Latitude seems to get poorer every year but in fairness there is a strong range of other arts activities going on which are better than EOTR and GM.

I had to go to Latitude this year as Mrs KYTV wanted to see why all her friends went.

They go to chat to their mates over a picnic. We couldn't believe how poor it was, in every respect, against EOTR.

Some decent music (Julia, Laura J M, Marika, Girl Ray) alongside the 1990s indie self-parodies (sorry), and decent culture. But food and beer, site, toilets, chatter, noise bleed really knock it down.

Chatter seems to have got worse at most festivals in the last 10 years.

I really wish they would put up signs saying 'if you want to chat, stand at the back' and maybe have a polite word with repeat offenders. At bigger festivals, seems half the people just want to be able to boast about being there to their friends on social media and not actually into the music.

On 7/26/2017 at 7:19 AM, xxialac said:

Chatter seems to have got worse at most festivals in the last 10 years.

I really wish they would put up signs saying 'if you want to chat, stand at the back' and maybe have a polite word with repeat offenders. At bigger festivals, seems half the people just want to be able to boast about being there to their friends on social media and not actually into the music.

Yep that's just it. I also see exactly the same thing at most gigs I'm at. It's all about status and bragging rights.