Bagpipes and opening gates

alisonbison

Hello everyone.

I've been meaning to post about this.

I worked this year's festival, so Wednesday morning at about 7 am, I was standing inside Pedestrian Gate C, waiting in anticipation for a flood of happy campers.

It was fantastic being on the inside for once. So exciting and of course it was such a beautiful morning. The excitement was palpable as the opening time neared. At about 7.30 (I think), there was a flurry of activity and I thought the gates were open but instead of a crowd of eager  festival goers, a lone bag-pipe player walked through, all kilted up and playing his pipes. 

It was such a surreal and beautiful moment. Minutes later the gates were pulled open and all the happy faces poured through. There was cheering, applause and even a bit of weeping - it was all just so emotional after all the build up and anticipation.

Anyway, silly old hippy that I am, I still can't think about it without getting teary, though I really don't understand why?

Does anyone know if the bag-pipe thing is replicated on the other gates? Also, is it a regular thing or was it a one-off?

It was amazing! 

Perhaps related but I was up at Strummerville one afternoon and a lone piper sparked up (probably not the right term) in the field below and there followed a wedding ceremony close to the fence adjacent to the Tipi Field. Worryingly, I cannot for the life of me recall which day it was...

On a further "Lone Piper" theme I recall visiting Glencoe many moons ago and in weather very similar to Glasto Wednesday we heard the sound of a lone piper drifting across the valley. It is a very evocative sound.

I was within earshot of bagpipes - but also at gate C, so can't add much.  I think there was rumours of gates opening at 7am - then the bag-pipes started playing and we all thought we were in for sure.  Then nothing... then we put our bags down again, false alarm.  I think there may have been a second round or bagpipes nearer 7:30 then, and things started to flow.

It definitely added to our excitement :) 

I saw the lone bag piper on the train line at around 10 pm on the Sunday night , slight change of topic but did anybody else get stamped on the hand as they got to the bottom of the hill of death at gate c on Wednesday  morning, they where pulling the odd person over and stamping there hand , I was hoping I'd been chosen for free entry for the 2019 slot.any one else get this stamp or know what it was about ??

22 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Any idea how to play the bagpipes ? wheres that youtube link ? :)

No need to learn the bagpipes, You need five Recorders sticking out the top of your rucksack, easily obtainable from ten year olds who attend school. Then you need a cat with one of those veterinary collars attatched, helps with amplification when said cat is placed under your arm and gently but firmly squeezed.

Please don't try this at home kids, adults, wasters.