BBC Music to run nationwide "Glastonbury replacement" in 2018.

Rubber Soldier

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm a bit confused by the animosity here.  The 6Music weekend was in Glasgow earlier this year and I saw a tonne of acts, most of them on strong multi-artist bills that worked out way cheaper than the average gig.  If the Beeb can use their clout to entice headline sized acts to play smaller than usual venues and tickets are either free or well-priced then....what's the issue?

In general, I'm with you.

But, I reckon, 4 shows in 4 different places for one day each is a very expensive show to produce compared to other shows, so I can't see it being cheap.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Colour me intrigued.

Thinking about it, I've been to a few of these. Went to the Big Weekend in Manchester in the early 00's when White Stripes and Stereophonics played, the one in Birmingham in 2004 and Hackney in 2012. Had fun at all of them.

Just looked at the lineup for Birmingham, that Sunday was a serious crime against music, and I don't just mean the now highly dubious choice of headliner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onebigweekend/birmingham/

Ayyyyy that was my first festival. Luckily left before Ian Watkins appeared. Natasha Bedingfield was brilliant though, got a crowd response Radiohead could only dream of.

19 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Radio 3 festival whadduuuuuuuup

:lol:

Really though, isn't that what The Proms are for? Implication seems to be that Radio 1's weekender, Radio 2's Hyde Park thing and the 6 Music Festival will all be condensed into one event, so I dunno how they'll justify keeping The Proms as a separate thing if they're including Radio 3 in this as well. We shall see.

I do hope this isn't just a ploy to persuade Ed Sheeran to play after discovering he deems himself 'above' Radio 1's Big Weekend.

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

In general, I'm with you.

But, I reckon, 4 shows in 4 different places for one day each is a very expensive show to produce compared to other shows, so I can't see it being cheap.

Would it be that much more expensive than what they currently do though? You've got Big Weekend, 6 music fest & Radio 2 in Hyde Park which are three different events in three different locations at different times of the year- presumably this is just going to be those brought together + an extra one. 

What music do Radio 3 even play? 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Zac and Lawn, meet Late Junction:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tp52

They also do decent Jazz and World Music bits and bobs.

Bitch you think I'm not familiar with Late Junction? Since the battery went flat in my car the other month, Radio 3 is the only station I have programmed in (well, Heart FM as well, but I pretty much only get 1 Boyz II Men song in before the adverts come up and I switch over to the real shit).

5 hours ago, shuttlep said:

i can feel another BBC strongly worded complaint email coming on.

The last strongly worded email was that they give tickets away to the big weekend. this is done through Radio one, now radio one is aimed at 16 to 18 year old . these are not the people that pay the TV licenses. I pointed this out to the BBC they said Radio 2 was more aimed at my demographic . I  pointed out that they should aim their flag ship radio station at the people who pay TV license. anyway I digress. 

they give tickets away for the big weekend, making it free. but then charge for tickets for radio six festival. This was my beef. before they pointed out that Radio one is not aimed at me and I should be listening to radio 2

I will never go to anything they organise

Radio One is indeed aimed at a teen audience but the audience they actually get averages at about 30. Despite their best efforts that age has been rising. :lol: You'll fit right in.

5 hours ago, ClovenFin said:

Just another corporate snoozefest bigging itself up as yet another 'alternative' to Glastonbury

As pointed out already, it doesn't appear that the people who are creating this festival have touted it as a Glastonbury replacement. If it is to be a replacement then it's a replacement for the BBC rather than the punters.

4 hours ago, st dan said:

Basically the hundreds/thousands of staff at the BBC want their annual free, all expenses paid holiday, and now they can't get their fix at Glastonbury this year - they are just creating one instead! 

I've told this story before, but a friend who works for the BBC has attended what they describe as "The hell that is Glastonbury'. So described not because they don't like festivals but because their day starts at 6am with a production meeting and ended queuing for a coach at 1am at night. They scarcely saw any of the festival and certainly didn't consider it a holiday.

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm a bit confused by the animosity here.  The 6Music weekend was in Glasgow earlier this year and I saw a tonne of acts, most of them on strong multi-artist bills that worked out way cheaper than the average gig.  If the Beeb can use their clout to entice headline sized acts to play smaller than usual venues and tickets are either free or well-priced then....what's the issue?

I agree the 6 music festival was excellent this year so if it's anything like that bring it on. My only concern is they may exclude the more under the radar acts who don't get much BBC coverage like Anderson Paak and King Gizzard who in my opinion played two of best sets of the festival this year. 

Edited by addicted2noise

I did wonder what the Daily Mail had to say about this, so I googled. I didn't go further than the summary google gives but the URL proves that the DM is as predictable as ever.

Do you suppose they have template stories posted on the walls of their office and they just complete it with the relevant names and dates?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4725758/BBC-wasting-money-Glastonbury-replacement-festival.html

Edited by musky

2 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

What happened there? Think my friends and I decided to go to Global Gathering that year instead...

Pulled at the last minute, after weeks and weeks of promotion. A total embarrassment for Newcastle.

Council got their numbers seriously wrong  and kept trying to bill the BBC for extra cash until they finally lost patience.

Our inability to host a decent festival up here still rankles with me now.

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Radio 3 festival whadduuuuuuuup

that'll be womad with its Radio 3 stage, this coming weekend.

12 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

They run a stage at WOMAD as well. A festival I'm seriously considering as an alternative to Glasto next year. 

you should do it. It's a lovely festival for the musically open-minded - and it's much more than just 'world music' - tho it is a bit middle class and tame.

I've been going to womad on & off for nearly along as i've been going to Glastonbury. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's not been said that this 'alternative to Glastonbury' will be free. There's plenty of BBC-run events that aren't free.

Yeah but the name "the biggest weekend" which falls on the same weekend as Big Weekend does, says to me that its probably going to be free