BBC Music to run nationwide "Glastonbury replacement" in 2018.

Rubber Soldier

12 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

The 6Music Festival has seen nothing but acclaim since they began - and for all its foibles, the Big Weekend is still immensely popular. I'm guessing it'll fall more in line with the latter though - that they'll have a daily bill they rotate across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Island, with four stages (and maybe an introducing) for Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 3 and 6Music respectively. Effectively a big travelling festival.

The other alternative in that is that each day of a festival could be a single station and they loop the countries, as in:

Fri 25th: Radio 1 (Northern Ireland ) - Radio 2 (Scotland) - 6Music (England) - Radio 3 (Wales)
Sat 26th: Radio 3 (Northern Ireland) - Radio 1 (Scotland) - Radio 2 (England) - 6Music (Wales)
Sun 27th: 6Music (Northern Ireland) - Radio 3 (Scotland) - Radio 1 (England) - Radio 2 (Wales)
Mon 28th: Radio 2 (Northern Ireland) - 6Music (Scotland) - Radio 3 (England) - Radio 1 (Wales)

But as Radio 1 days are obviously going to have much higher ticket applications than Radio 3, for example, that seems unlikely.

The problem if they choose to rotate lineups across the country is that you'll be asking most acts to play four shows in four days. How many wish to commit to that?

So perhaps the more likely answer is that each event will take place over four days with an entirely unique lineup - with some artists showing up for multiple shows (Either as headliner or down the bill - you could see someone like Pink or Imagine Dragons incorporating two of the four potential counties for example. Some smaller bands might do all four.)

It's obviously going to be an entirely different vibe but curious how this plays out.

I think they'd try keep the recycling of acts at a minimum or else the TV viewers will be puzzled as to why this 'biggest weekend' has so few acts playing the same set a bunch of times. :P

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd assume that each city will have Radio 1, 2 and 6 events, just in different venues and catering to different audiences.

Perhaps but then yer looking at a scaled down version of each event for each audience rather than the full shebang in one city.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Does anyone remember the BBC Live thing they did around 2000ish?  It was wonderful, there was music in the train station, music in the streets.  It was brilliant and put on by the BBC.  This could be great.  It seems like it's only the press who are really billing this as a "Glastonbury Replacement".  The beeb seem to be saying "we some spare budget next year because Glasto isn't on, so we're going to put on some of our own events instead".  Quite different.

This could be good, obviously it's not going to be like Glastonbury, nothing else is.

I remember the Sound City things they ran in the mid 90s

i can feel another BBC strongly worded complaint email coming on.

The last strongly worded email was that they give tickets away to the big weekend. this is done through Radio one, now radio one is aimed at 16 to 18 year old . these are not the people that pay the TV licenses. I pointed this out to the BBC they said Radio 2 was more aimed at my demographic . I  pointed out that they should aim their flag ship radio station at the people who pay TV license. anyway I digress. 

they give tickets away for the big weekend, making it free. but then charge for tickets for radio six festival. This was my beef. before they pointed out that Radio one is not aimed at me and I should be listening to radio 2

I will never go to anything they organise

26 minutes ago, sime said:

It's not going to be a Glastonbury clone, just another avenue to see some big acts who would likely have played Glastonbury next year like Fleetwood Mac, who do have tour plans in 2019. Sounds promising.

Exactly.

They're basically doing it so they've got some live music output for the TV & Radio - so if they're recording the main stage at each site then that's 4 stages worth of coverage of big acts - they can (and if past form is anything to go by will) shorten the sets and stagger the times across sites and essentially end up with 2 channels worth of constant output, switching between sites as desired.

I'd imagine that the main stage at each site will have a largely different lineup, like at Glastonbury the biggest acts will be doing this for a discounted rate in exchange for the TV exposure, so it doesn't make sense for them or for the BBC to go touring all the sites.

Add a BBC introducing tent as a second stage at each site and that's pretty much all that we can realistically expect - and while it's not even a fraction of a "Glastonbury replacement" for us - for your average TV viewer it more than meets the criteria.

Doubt I'll go to this, but it should be fun to watch on TV anyway. Which is their intention.

25 minutes ago, st dan said:

Basically the hundreds/thousands of staff at the BBC want their annual free, all expenses paid holiday, and now they can't get their fix at Glastonbury this year - they are just creating one instead! 

Everything about this statement is wrong, apart from them creating an event.

16 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

I was told by one of the Avalon team that Isle of Wight Fest is moving to the "Glastonbury slot" next summer to take up some of the custom there from.

Dunno if it's true?

They did it in the last fallow year in 2012 as well, and were promptly rewarded with one of the wettest weekends of the summer.

I have been to two Radio 1-endorsed events in the past.

1. Radio One Roadshow, Carlyon Bay, Cornwall 1985. I was aged 9. Mike Read was the host. I drank lemonade and had an ice-cream. I had a good day. 

2. Radio One Love Parade, Leeds, 2000. Aged 24. I ingested a large amount of industrial-strength ecstasy and poppers. I had a good day.

Something in-between the two would work for me these days.

8 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

1. Radio One Roadshow, Carlyon Bay, Cornwall 1985. I was aged 9. Mike Read was the host. I drank lemonade and had an ice-cream. I had a good day. 

2. Radio One Love Parade, Leeds, 2000. Aged 24. I ingested a large amount of industrial-strength ecstasy and poppers. I had a good day.

Ice cream... and poppers?

8 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

That was brilliant.  Utter chaos and exhausting trying to follow the floats around!

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That was brilliant.  Utter chaos and exhausting trying to follow the floats around!

There was a Co-Op near to the entrance to the park, and by the time we got there the only booze left was Chilli-flavoured Smirnoff. That was all I drank for about 11 hours.

Can't remember much of the music! Vaguely recall Darren Emerson and Sasha playing?