BBC's The Biggest Weekend 2018

NickisGinger

• 2 months later...

as far as I know, the only information we have so far is that it will be taking place across four sites and will be on a similar scale to Glastonbury. I'm not even sure if we know whether it will be a camping festival etc yet. Interested to see what everyone thinks about the arrangement and the lineup.

On 10/7/2017 at 12:50 PM, Jack w said:

as far as I know, the only information we have so far is that it will be taking place across four sites and will be on a similar scale to Glastonbury. I'm not even sure if we know whether it will be a camping festival etc yet. Interested to see what everyone thinks about the arrangement and the lineup.

there was a story in a local paper a while back with details of a licence application in Belfast - tho with what looked like some wrong assumptions by the journo.

On 07/10/2017 at 12:50 PM, Jack w said:

Think the press got carried away with the ‘Glastonbury replacement’ line, seeing as the only comparison seems to be the coverage, and naturally it’s gonna be that large if they’re planning four simultaneous events.

As for the arrangement; I’m expecting a festival per each station and on the surface it’ll be the same as any year but with all the events taking place on the same weekend rather than Feb, May, Sep etc. Hopefully the 6music leg will be a bit more substantial because of the proximity to Primavera.

Wouldn’t expect camping if they’ve never introduced it before and it’d cost a bunch more for the BBC for no real reward.

Edited by dentalplan

59 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

As for the arrangement; I’m expecting a festival per each station and on the surface it’ll be the same as any year but with all the events taking place on the same weekend rather than Feb, May, Sep etc. Hopefully the 6music leg will be a bit more substantial because of the proximity to Primavera.

if that's what they're doing then I can tell you that the NI leg is the 6music fest ... cos that's what it said in the report I read, which I presumed to be muddling things up by that newspaper.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if that's what they're doing then I can tell you that the NI leg is the 6music fest ... cos that's what it said in the report I read, which I presumed to be muddling things up by that newspaper.

Sounds about right. If they’re doing four events then it would make sense to hit every country of the UK.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

52 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Sounds about right. If they’re doing four events then it would make sense to hit every country of the UK.

Yes, looks like each event will be hosted by one of the radio stations.

Ni being 6music. - 4 days (2 days for locals) at Belfast's Titanic Slipways

https://minutes3.belfastcity.gov.uk/documents/s67890/BBC Music Festivals.pdf

Edited by craigb

• 3 weeks later...

As this falls on the same weekend as All Points East, I wonder if there will be some crossover. I could imagine The xx or Lorde doing something for the Beeb, depending on what the festival actually consists of.

If it is something like a stage for each radio station, then Father John Misty could definitely appear on this bill for 6 Music

Edited by finn_with_1_n

11 hours ago, TommyLC said:

On the same weekend, there's a licence application approved for SJM to host a two-dayer in Warrington at Victoria Park. 30,000 a day and apparently with an indie focus. I guess it's nothing to do with the beeb but again, could be a lineup sharer. 

i had a convo with a booker recently-ish, who told me that he'd tried booking acts for something the same weekend as a big BBC thing, and that no bands would commit because they were all hoping to get on the BBC's bill.

Once the beeb had sorted their thing, the bands were available for other stuff around their bbc slot, or weren't available at all because they'd decided not to tour at that time if they weren't on the bbc bill.

Sounds like a nightmare, and also suggests promoters won't dive in to put stuff on the same weekend (and in fact some stuff has moved weekend to avoid a beeb clash) .... so i reckon if a major promoter like SJM is doing something on a bbc weekend, there's a decent likelihood it might be on behalf of the bbc rather than their own show (tho 30,000 does sound on the small side for a big beeb thing).

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i had a convo with a booker recently-ish, who told me that he'd tried booking acts for something the same weekend as a big BBC thing, and that no bands would commit because they were all hoping to get on the BBC's bill.

Once the beeb had sorted their thing, the bands were available for other stuff around their bbc slot, or weren't available at all because they'd decided not to tour at that time if they weren't on the bbc bill.

Sounds like a nightmare, and also suggests promoters won't dive in to put stuff on the same weekend (and in fact some stuff has moved weekend to avoid a beeb clash) .... so i reckon if a major promoter like SJM is doing something on a bbc weekend, there's a decent likelihood it might be on behalf of the bbc rather than their own show (tho 30,000 does sound on the small side for a big beeb thing).

Would APE do it the same weekend though?

And if its 30 thousand could be that much per site...

Further reading on it if you're interested. 

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/15473579.BREAKING__Plans_to_host_music_event_in_Victoria_Park_passed/

Here's all that's available on the WBC website

https://licensing.warrington.gov.uk/PAforLalpacLIVE/1/LicensingActPremises/Search/15992/Detail?APP_ID=83994

Think the date is subject to change, so might move due to the BBC/APE clash. 

Edited by TommyLC

14 hours ago, TommyLC said:

Further reading on it if you're interested. 

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/15473579.BREAKING__Plans_to_host_music_event_in_Victoria_Park_passed/

Here's all that's available on the WBC website

https://licensing.warrington.gov.uk/PAforLalpacLIVE/1/LicensingActPremises/Search/15992/Detail?APP_ID=83994

Think the date is subject to change, so might move due to the BBC/APE clash. 

The poll of bands who people want to play is most random!

On 31/10/2017 at 7:03 PM, TommyLC said:

On the same weekend, there's a licence application approved for SJM to host a two-dayer in Warrington at Victoria Park. 30,000 a day and apparently with an indie focus. I guess it's nothing to do with the beeb but again, could be a lineup sharer. 

Looks like there may be an announcement on this at 8am tomorrow.  Neighbourhood Festival in Manchester (run by SJM) have put a teaser up on Twitter which looks like the distances to a few north-west towns/cities from Warrington.

8 hours ago, AldoTVAOF said:

Looks like there may be an announcement on this at 8am tomorrow.  Neighbourhood Festival in Manchester (run by SJM) have put a teaser up on Twitter which looks like the distances to a few north-west towns/cities from Warrington.

Well spotted. Look forward to seeing what they come up with. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/01/2018 at 5:32 PM, NickisGinger said:

Wonder if they’ll announce something next week? Normally around that time..

Wasn’t aware of this festival’s plans until now. Looked on Radio 1’s Twitter today expecting there to be an announcement for Radio 1’s Big Weekend as Hull last year was announced this time last year. Nothing. Perhaps supporting what has been said in this group i.e they have binned off Big Weekend this year for a larger event. 

It’s getting quite late in the day for this. I wonder if they’ve totally binned off the whole idea. So many other events the same weekend have already made big announcements. Unless they’re planning to go really big (but then again, those acts will be getting tied up with exclusives for TRSMT, R&L, revamped V, etc)

At the moment, BBC Radio 1 is having their "Jam Slam", where they're just giving away a lot of free tickets to gigs/festivals, which ends on 31st January. On 30th January, they're hosting their BBC Sound of 2018 Live - five of the top artists on the BBC Sound of 2018 are being recorded at Maida Vale in front of a live audience.

My guess is that on either the 30th, or the 31st as it is the last one, they'll give away two tickets to the Biggest Weekend and announce the line-up on that day, or at least announce something. The acts at the Sound of 2018 Live thing will also be on the undercard.

If not, then they're leaving things a bit late, especially with 175,000 tickets to sell (unless it is like The Big Weekend where tickets are free).