BBC's The Biggest Weekend 2018

NickisGinger

12 hours ago, finn_with_1_n said:

At the moment, BBC Radio 1 is having their "Jam Slam", where they're just giving away a lot of free tickets to gigs/festivals, which ends on 31st January. On 30th January, they're hosting their BBC Sound of 2018 Live - five of the top artists on the BBC Sound of 2018 are being recorded at Maida Vale in front of a live audience.

My guess is that on either the 30th, or the 31st as it is the last one, they'll give away two tickets to the Biggest Weekend and announce the line-up on that day, or at least announce something. The acts at the Sound of 2018 Live thing will also be on the undercard.

If not, then they're leaving things a bit late, especially with 175,000 tickets to sell (unless it is like The Big Weekend where tickets are free).

I thought they would of give them away last week in the festival week.

Unless they’re ruled out by conflicting tour dates, I think Arctic Monkeys could be announced for the R1BW leg shortly after AMageddon on Monday and that might have been a contributing factor to the holdup. Though I guess they might announce the format of the event(s) first cos that seems to be what’s piquing the most interest at the mo.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Unless they’re ruled out by conflicting tour dates, I think Arctic Monkeys could be announced for the R1BW leg shortly after AMageddon on Monday and that might have been a contributing factor to the holdup. Though I guess they might announce the format of the event(s) first cos that seems to be what’s piquing the most interest at the mo.

Maybe Tuesday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09nxt2n

1 hour ago, NickisGinger said:

Would make sense with the "BIG" bit. Official announcement and maybe ticket release day announcement? Also if R1 are the ones promoting it, maybe they will have a heavy influence over the line-up

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

AMageddon on Monday

Very ignorant AM bystander here, what is AMageddon?

54 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

Very ignorant AM bystander here, what is AMageddon?

Heheh. I was just referring to the day that Arctic Monkeys are due to announce their European festivals in one go. It’s been long speculated about on here and looks to be happening on Monday. If they’re about then they’re a big name to lead off on, and if tickets don’t go on sale for a couple of months then it shouldn’t affect their sales much.

21 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I'm wondering if each event will be four days long and happen at the same time, or if each event will be one day long, all on separate days.

Northern Ireland’s edition happening at Belfast Titanic Slipways which is meant to be 6music will be two days between 25th and 28th May with potential for other fringe activity and 2 days for locals

32 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I'm wondering if each event will be four days long and happen at the same time, or if each event will be one day long, all on separate days.

Looks like it'll be neither of those, if you check these minutes out:

On 09/10/2017 at 1:02 PM, JBarbour said:

Yes, looks like each event will be hosted by one of the radio stations.

Ni being 6music. - 4 days (2 days for locals) at Belfast's Titanic Slipways

https://minutes3.belfastcity.gov.uk/documents/s67890/BBC Music Festivals.pdf

Despite JBarbour's summary I read it as saying the 6music Festival proper (without its fringe events) in Belfast would be taking place over two days between the Friday and the Monday. I'm guessing the other three events won't be four days either so that they can stagger them across the weekend or something.

edit: beaten to it :P

Edited by dentalplan

On 26/01/2018 at 6:36 PM, dentalplan said:

Heheh. I was just referring to the day that Arctic Monkeys are due to announce their European festivals in one go. It’s been long speculated about on here and looks to be happening on Monday. If they’re about then they’re a big name to lead off on, and if tickets don’t go on sale for a couple of months then it shouldn’t affect their sales much.

Oh I see! Which UK festivals are they expected to play then [which forum should I head to avoid sidetracking the topic here]?

If this is the case, then it would be very logical for AM to headline here. My current guess - obviously knowing nothing about the set-up for this - would be Taylor Swift, AM, Foos and Ed Sheeran (28/5 is free while he is on his UK tour). Radiohead and Kendrick are both free as well although I think they're less likely unless Radiohead headline here then Thom Yorke appears at Field Day

7 hours ago, finn_with_1_n said:

Oh I see! Which UK festivals are they expected to play then [which forum should I head to avoid sidetracking the topic here]?

If this is the case, then it would be very logical for AM to headline here. My current guess - obviously knowing nothing about the set-up for this - would be Taylor Swift, AM, Foos and Ed Sheeran (28/5 is free while he is on his UK tour). Radiohead and Kendrick are both free as well although I think they're less likely unless Radiohead headline here then Thom Yorke appears at Field Day

Kendrick is in Europe late summer do unlikely to be him.

AM is xurrently rumoured for NOS and Mad Cool (in the int. fests section of efests) and TRNSMT in Glagow (in the other uk fests section)

Edited by Mattymooz

9 hours ago, NickisGinger said:

Will the line-up drop tomorrow then? very exciting nonetheless

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/radio-ones-big-weekend-announcement-14216836

According to this, Coventry might be set to host the England leg of the festival

11 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

Will the line-up drop tomorrow then? very exciting nonetheless

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/radio-ones-big-weekend-announcement-14216836

According to this, Coventry might be set to host the England leg of the festival

'Acts and location' apparently, but the whole lineup is usually much later.

There are shouts on Twitter that it's Swansea as well so you never really know. Unless one's actually a Radio 2 thing or something. Swansea makes more sense, as I can recall a recent NI one and a Scottish one, and loads of English but I don't know when it was last in Wales.

The 6 Music leg should be a really tasty affair after Primavera Sound and All Points East's recent announcements. I think that's announced tomorrow morning as well.

42 minutes ago, NickisGinger said:

More like Foo Fighters I was thinking? 

I do think they’ll be going this big. Makes me wonder what R&L and Vthing are gonna have up their sleeves if BBC stray into their territory, as they’re generally looking for at least a couple of exclusives.