West Holts 2019

BlackHole2006

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say the thing you've noticed is less about West Holts specifically and pretty much applies in the same way to just about all of the less-mainstream stages/areas (tho of course with a slanting for personal tastes).

There's probably theories galore for why that is. 

Wait till you get to my age, when the acoustic stage you never looked at with interest for 20+ years gets more appealing with each festival. :P

The Acoustic stage lineup has always surprised me. Do all the acts always actually play acoustic, or should the stage be re-named as The Stage For Grey Haired People?

3 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

The Acoustic stage lineup has always surprised me. Do all the acts always actually play acoustic, or should the stage be re-named as The Stage For Grey Haired People?

I've never seen an acoustic act there and I think the last part nails it. :P

Tho they did - very weirdly - put Portishead on in there in around 1995.

I can't say there's much there even now that appeals to this old git - the missus keeps dragging me up there, honest :P - but the Moody Blues (who i've never been a fan of) were fantastic a few years back, and most of the other (less than 10) acts i've seen there have been quality, in a similar way to how West Holts has that higher musical quality.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Hiatus Kaiyote just announced a small tour of 3 euro dates; plenty of time for them to get a new album out to grace the WH in 2019. Don't think they've ever played the G have they? Obviously quintessential West Holts band.

Played twice in 2015. The West Holts slot clashed with Patti Boombatti and er I think I just forgot about the Pussy Parlure one.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Played twice in 2015. The West Holts slot clashed with Patti Boombatti and er I think I just forgot about the Pussy Parlure one.

Ah yes, right you are. I do actually remember being peeved to pull myself away from whoever was going to be on after Ibibio Sound Machine so that'll be why. Clearly whoever was on at the same time as Patti Smith didn't actually play though, because nothing else in the universe either mattered or existed during that set. Don't know where the Pussy Parlure even is, never look at the line-ups unless pointed there, for all I know I could've been right outside having a crap in the longdrops while they were on.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'd have said Specials are a daytime act, personally. Also I think it's enshrined in UK law that we all have to have Janelle Monae on our WH headliner wishlists every year. One of these days it's happening. But yeah I reckon once Tahliah comes back around with LP2 she'll have a big elabourate headline-ready stage show accompanying it, and will be an incredible WH headliner.

54 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'd have said Specials are a daytime act, personally. Also I think it's enshrined in UK law that we all have to have Janelle Monae on our WH headliner wishlists every year. One of these days it's happening. But yeah I reckon once Tahliah comes back around with LP2 she'll have a big elabourate headline-ready stage show accompanying it, and will be an incredible WH headliner.

Aye would love The Specials to play 3rd/4th Pyramid in the near future. Do think they're a possibility for West Holts too, probably depending on who else they can book.

23 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If The Specials played the fest again, would they fit as West Holts headliners?

Right now I'm thinking headliners of The Specials, FKA Twigs & Run The Jewels.

If not The Specials then Santana, but Neil reckons they'd be out of the West Holts budget which is probably right.

Run The Jewels isn't a bad shout at all.

19 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Erykah Badu > Janelle Monae

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

(what actually happened?!)

I got the full story about a month later, but i've got to say it still didn't seem to make much sense. :lol:

It seemed to be something about the band not being ready to play so early in the day &/or difficulties about getting from a near-by hotel to the site (not problems on the site, tho).