Chester Bennington

JSmurphy

For about five solid years, Hybrid Theory and Meteora were getting played constantly by me and my mates. I stuck with them pretty much all the way after and finally went to see them on the 4th of this month, for what was an absolutely amazing gig with Chester in pretty good voice.

Just a horrible thing really. It was Chester's voice that made me completely fall for them in the first place, and after that, I never really stopped loving that voice. He's probably my favourite vocalist of the 21st century so far.

Fuck.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, willutalk said:

Chesters draws have closed. Very sad day for industry indeed. Just listened to Hybrid Theory loud in the car on the way. Chanting those words then gave me goosebumps. Gutted.

glad to have caught him at Download, sad he never stepped on Worthy Farm.

RIP

Very very surprised they were never booked for glastonbury. I think that they would have been great headliners.

7 minutes ago, dj matt james said:

Very very surprised they were never booked for glastonbury. I think that they would have been great headliners.

Let's not go overboard now. Until yesterday they were scorned at by most on these boards as past it and fairly naff. There was a place for for them at the G but it was at most Other Stage headliners, to a respectable but not massive crowd.

As someone else said previously, they were one of the bands that shaped my musical taste into what it is now and got me listening to proper bands rather than chart pop.

I felt a proper sadness when I heard the news as I still do turn to their music when I'm feeling a certain way. I guess Chester's legacy is that his music helps other deal with the things that he wasn't able to. 

Makes their latest song Heavy all the more poignant. 

2 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Let's not go overboard now. Until yesterday they were scorned at by most on these boards as past it and fairly naff. There was a place for for them at the G but it was at most Other Stage headliners, to a respectable but not massive crowd.

True, and well worded in the situation.  As I've got older I've always found that if I sing along in the car to Linkin Park it's a been a wee bit tongue in cheek, and Chester's passing aside I think you're right about the general perception of them and where they'd stand at Glastonbury.

However, tongue in cheek or not, I still sing along just as loudly as I did when I was 20, and I will continue to do so!

So sad the more I think about it.  To be mid-tour, with all the struggles he'd previously overcome, the poor bastard must have just been feeling so incredibly low. Dreadful stuff.

5 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

In terms of popularity they would have been a massive Other Stage headliner, especially a couple years ago. 

Hardly a ground-breaking band but I did (and still do to be fair) love their first two albums. Chester was no doubt a very talented man and also seemed like a very decent, down to earth bloke. All in all very sad news, particuarly due to the natue of his death. 

Edited by Tyonks

23 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

For about five solid years, Hybrid Theory and Meteora were getting played constantly by me and my mates. I stuck with them pretty much all the way after and finally went to see them on the 4th of this month, for what was an absolutely amazing gig with Chester in pretty good voice.

Just a horrible thing really. It was Chester's voice that made me completely fall for them in the first place, and after that, I never really stopped loving that voice. He's probably my favourite vocalist of the 21st century so far.

Fuck.

This waa for virtually but for about 8/9 years, while their last coupleof albums have had songs I could pick out...before this current album anyway, I feel M2M was the last real one I cared for and a thousand suns but a bit of a what are they doing but there is still no doubt as many will know on here I was a huge fan. I saw them countless times from 2003 and never got excited as tickets going on sale like I did for them, nothing got close in the mid-late 2000s for me, I've never seen someone give as much as him while on stage before, he was the sweaty singing version of Lee Evans haha. Chester was very much up there if not my favourite vocalist and was a voice of a generation in my eyes. The HT in full show was the perfect last gig. 

18 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

I agree with this, I love the band and did massively and respect their newer direction even though I don't like it. This one does hit home, I hope he finds peace now.

14 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

I think they'd have made a great sub at Glasto tbh.

The daek of other stage headliner would have been much better, but years back there is no doubt they could have headlined easily. Tbf they sold their recent tour very well even at £60 a ticket. 

On 20/07/2017 at 9:06 PM, mr gumby said:

And the shadow of the day
Will embrace the world in gray
And the sun will set for you.

Rest in peace :(

There will certainly be a sunset and a can remembering the man.

8 hours ago, Swine_Glasto2014 said:

Gutted... Not because I am a massive fan of LP but because it is so sad that someone so talented can be so unhappy. 

Rip Chester. 

Depression does not differentiate between 'talented' and 'untalented' people :(

The band that started it all for me. Was 9 when I begged my parents to buy me Hybrid Theory. Blew my mind and is still one of my favourite records. Meteora too. Their eclectic sound introduced me to many different styles of music at that age so I owe them a lot. RIP Chester.

Taken this from Facebook, very moving but a clear cry for help.

Hybrid Theory came out the year I left school a massive album for the late teen years trying to find myself in the big wide world. Grew up listing to Rhythm and Blues so tended to walk along music wise "The Brit-Pop" sound but well aware of Linkin Park and bands like them. The older I got into my 20's a least my taste in music broadened which came to include these heavier bands..! He will be greatly missed.

On 21/07/2017 at 6:53 PM, Tyonks said:

Hardly a ground-breaking band but I did (and still do to be fair) love their first two albums. Chester was no doubt a very talented man and also seemed like a very decent, down to earth bloke. All in all very sad news, particuarly due to the natue of his death. 

Not the biggest LP fan, I liked the first 2 albums as echoed by some people here but they were definitely ground breaking.

Nu-metal would not have seen anywhere near the success it did if it wasnt for Linkin Park. 

14 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

Not the biggest LP fan, I liked the first 2 albums as echoed by some people here but they were definitely ground breaking.

Nu-metal would not have seen anywhere near the success it did if it wasnt for Linkin Park. 

Yeah, but nu metal was still the ting before Hybrid Theory and Limp Bizkit were huge aswell. Chocolate Starfish was something like the fastest selling rock album in the states for decades and that was before LPs debut dropped

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:21 PM, Zac Quinn said:

I think there's certainly an argument that they were big enough to headline outright for a small period in their heyday. I agree in the last few years they'd have been a perfect Other headliner/Pyramid sub and no more than that, but in that early-mid 00s period they were one of the biggest bands on the planet. Those first two albums were huge, with the Jay-Z collaboration helping them their mainstream crossover even more. Granted they may not have fitted into the main Glastonbury demographic at the time, especially when there were so many other huge headliners available to be booked back then, but they were easily as big as White Stripes/Basement Jaxx (replacement admittedly) and would not have looked out of place looking back. If they were on the scene now, with the lack of prospective headliner options available now and in-between their 2nd and 3rd album with the same popularity they had back then we'd be talking about them being potential 2019 headliners.

On 21/07/2017 at 1:21 PM, Zac Quinn said:

I'd disagree, they sound brilliant live and easily big enough to headline. I think it would go down like Metallica - loads of moaners and then they'd kill it.

Metallica got to do it because they're the biggest and most important metal band in the world. Linkin Park don't have that same kind of acclaim (and in fact, have always had pretty mediocre reviews from both critics and music fans). They may have at one time been big enough to do it, but that's not to say Glastonbury would ever book them to headline.

49 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Metallica got to do it because they're the biggest and most important metal band in the world. Linkin Park don't have that same kind of acclaim (and in fact, have always had pretty mediocre reviews from both critics and music fans). They may have at one time been big enough to do it, but that's not to say Glastonbury would ever book them to headline.

Not sure how much to trust critics when a quick google of hybrid theory reveals pretty poor ratings. It's a brilliant album! A linkin park greatest hits set would be a worthy headline slot IMO. 

35 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Not sure how much to trust critics when a quick google of hybrid theory reveals pretty poor ratings. It's a brilliant album! A linkin park greatest hits set would be a worthy headline slot IMO. 

Not the type of thing you'd expect critics to like really.

that said you can't trust them, on metacritic BMTH scores higher than Tool which is propper weird and unexpected

14 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

that said you can't trust them, on metacritic BMTH scores higher than Tool which is propper weird and unexpected

Not that unexpected. BMTH are a big popular band so you'll have hard rock and metal publications that have a lot of fans buying their rag based on a pull out Oli Sykes poster every month, so they can't really afford to pan a Bring Me the Horizon release. On the other hand, all the Tool albums came out when you could call a bad album a bad album.

Edited by dentalplan

On 23/07/2017 at 0:27 AM, jonodillieono said:

It perhaps depends on what your point of view is on whats ground breaking. I definitely see your point - but in my view they made extremeley popular something that already existed, which in my view isn't groundbreaking. 

They did put their own original twist into nu-metal with some of their songs like Breaking the Habit, but without Chester's talent and passion I think they would've been pretty *whispers* generic