Benicassim (FIB) 2018

andytommo

I'll admit, I've been one of the 'moaners' since the hugely underwhelming announcement last week. That's mainly because this is my first time at Beni and I booked on early doors with my mates off the back of their previously strong line ups. It's hard not to be envious of what's happening just down the road at Mad Cool or Primavera.

That said I'm encouraged by regulars who say treat it as a holiday first and a festival second. With that in mind, what are the best things about Beni outside of the live music? Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, muzak said:

I'll admit, I've been one of the 'moaners' since the hugely underwhelming announcement last week. That's mainly because this is my first time at Beni and I booked on early doors with my mates off the back of their previously strong line ups. It's hard not to be envious of what's happening just down the road at Mad Cool or Primavera.

That said I'm encouraged by regulars who say treat it as a holiday first and a festival second. With that in mind, what are the best things about Beni outside of the live music? Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

The beach is literally a 15-20 minute walk from the festival. There’s various bars/clubs in castellon that host fib themed nights. Plenty of places to get decent food. The weather is obviously brilliant at that time of year. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, muzak said:

From a previous post/reply of mine;

“One of the best things about Beni, even more so this year for example, is that you can be at the main stage watching a band, a song that you don't know/like comes on, and you can go for a piss, get a beer, and be back in the same spot you came from (within reason) by the time the next song starts up, 4-5 mins later.  The ratio of bars/loos to punters, is fantastic, likewise is the fact that you can move from one stage to another, within a 2 to 5 minute max walk, unlike most other large festivals I've been to over the decades!”

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, muzak said:

...and another;

“I book to go to Beni every year, the week I get back, so the line up isn't always the be all and end all for me, or the people I go with, as it's a great festival combined with a top holiday by the beach, in the sun, etc....  Across the weekend, I hope that there's usually about 15-20 acts that I want to see.  Last year was a freak year, as there were 32 over the weekend who I would go and see at any festival, many of whom I'd also pay to see on a UK tour.  Of the 14 acts confirmed so far this year, there's already 10 who I'm really looking forward to catching, so it's a really good initial announcement so far, for me personally.  Hope there will be another 10+ more I like/want to see, announced between now and July, of which I'm in no doubt there will be.  At least then there'll be less clashes than there were last year!!!”

In last week’s update there’s about another 5 or 6 acts which really interest me, and who I’ll be hoping I can get to see. That’s 16 now, so averaging 4 a night. I’m actually hoping there won’t be stacks of more must sees announced in Apr, May or Jun, otherwise 2018 will have nearly as many clashes as last year.

It’s a great vibe in general, and if there’s nothing that floats your boat one night for a couple of hours just head up to the South Beach Party area, and lose yourself there having a good dance to decent House and Electronica, kick you shoes off, etc....

Edited by andytommo

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

This encourages me a bit, as I quite vocally moaned about the lineup. I have been before but I think I missed most of the peripheral stuff, I just watched bands. Are there many club nights around Beni itself?

I went to one at Donegals Irish bar (not quite sure why it’s called an Irish bar because it couldn’t be any further from it - apart from selling Guinness!) last time and it was brilliant. They had a dj on inside playing a load of indie tunes and a guy out side doing some acoustic stuff on the guitar. Everybody was joining in singing and it made it a cracking night. Not sure if there any other places that do this kind of thing but I’d imagine there is. 

Edited by 0114
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, EamerRed said:

This encourages me a bit, as I quite vocally moaned about the lineup. I have been before but I think I missed most of the peripheral stuff, I just watched bands. Are there many club nights around Beni itself?

The festival runs each night from approx 7pm to 7am (5am on Thu night/Fri morn) so during the 4 nights of festival weekend, nothing happens in town club wise, as everyone is partying until early hours at the festival (in t shirts and shorts, in 20c-25c temps even at 4am-6am in the morning). It goes all night, as long as you can. On the Mon/Tue/Wed night before the festival starts, there are club nights around the town, run by popular Spanish club operators, and also Propaganda from the UK, so those taking advantage of the free camping for the full week, from Mon 16th, there’s some decent stuff to do, pre-fest.. 

Edited by andytommo
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, DRH0503 said:

A question for those who have been before:

How do you keep your suitcase safe? Is it okay being left in your tent or do you take extra precautions?

There a lockers which you can hire, which come in various sizes/prices, that are recommended, as like may festivals, I've heard of thefts from tents over the years.  These usually go on sale via the official site, about 2-3 months prior, and have sold out in the past.  Might be wise to book one, or share one with a group of mates, to keep your valuables in.

2 minutes ago, andytommo said:

There a lockers which you can hire, which come in various sizes/prices, that are recommended, as like may festivals, I've heard of thefts from tents over the years.  These usually go on sale via the official site, about 2-3 months prior, and have sold out in the past.  Might be wise to book one, or share one with a group of mates, to keep your valuables in.

Are they big enough to fit a large suitcase in? The one we're taking is gonna have both my stuff and my girlfriend's stuff in it

1 hour ago, DRH0503 said:

I think The Wombats would be an excellent addition to this lineup 

Yeah I have a feeling they're still to come, potentially Blossoms too with their new album out.

On reflection I think I was overly harsh on the lineup. There are a lot of decent bands under the headliners - I just feel like it's missing another semi-big band such as the likes of Chvrches, MGMT, Tame Impala, etc. It just doesn't help that the Mad Cool lineup is fantastic.

Aside from that the lineup is pretty good apart from Travis Scott (not my thing) and Pet Shop Boys (what were they thinking?!) being headliners. Ultimately it's what you make of it, and Benicassim is a great place anyway. I just want to get off of my tits and make the most of it :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, DRH0503 said:

Are they big enough to fit a large suitcase in? The one we're taking is gonna have both my stuff and my girlfriend's stuff in it

They have different sized lockers usually, like @andytommo said, usually on the website 2-3 months before, its shows the dimensions so would be able to work out the right size for your case... I also think they have usb ports for charging in some of the lockers too!

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

Yeah I have a feeling they're still to come, potentially Blossoms too with their new album out.

On reflection I think I was overly harsh on the lineup. There are a lot of decent bands under the headliners - I just feel like it's missing another semi-big band such as the likes of Chvrches, MGMT, Tame Impala, etc. It just doesn't help that the Mad Cool lineup is fantastic.

Aside from that the lineup is pretty good apart from Travis Scott (not my thing) and Pet Shop Boys (what were they thinking?!) being headliners. Ultimately it's what you make of it, and Benicassim is a great place anyway. I just want to get off of my tits and make the most of it :D

Would love blossoms to be on there, it'd be my 14th time seeing them haha

1 hour ago, mbee123 said:

Very quiet on here since the latest announcement, everyone learning Pet Shop Boys songs?!?

When do we normally get the day splits?

Last year it was 11th of May. Don't think we'll get it much earlier this year.

I'm not a Pet Shop Boys "fan" but have seen them at a festival before and they do put on a good show..but its not all about the headliners..last year not 1 of the headliners interested me but i still had 4 great nights..get over the PSB announcement and just go enjoy yourselves..roll on my 9th Beni x

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shaun64 said:

I'm not a Pet Shop Boys "fan" but have seen them at a festival before and they do put on a good show..but its not all about the headliners..last year not 1 of the headliners interested me but i still had 4 great nights..get over the PSB announcement and just go enjoy yourselves..roll on my 9th Beni x

Looking forward to getting my hands on Maria's jugs this year!

Don't know why your telling everyone you're not a fan of PSB mate, I've seen the posters in your bedroom! 

47 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

Don't know why your telling everyone you're not a fan of PSB mate, I've seen the posters in your bedroom! 

Ok, let’s do it - favourite PSB song??? (I’ll kick it off)

Domino Dancing (or Opportunities) 

12 hours ago, Richi1988 said:

YOU'VE BEEN IN HIS BEDROOM AND GOT OUT ALIVE ?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, shaun64 said:

yo Mitch , how you doing ? Year 9 eh ? 

13 hours ago, shaun64 said:

Got to agree with this, I seen them at V about 6 years ago and they do put on a show, think they wouldn't be a bad booking way down the bill, but not a headliner.

Don't think I've seen such a diverse line up at any festival, PSB, Sleaford Mods, Travis Scott, Jessie Ware, Justice + the indie stuff, it's all over the place.

Looks like they are going for an older crowd to me..

23 minutes ago, mbee123 said:

Got to agree with this, I seen them at V about 6 years ago and they do put on a show, think they wouldn't be a bad booking way down the bill, but not a headliner.

Don't think I've seen such a diverse line up at any festival, PSB, Sleaford Mods, Travis Scott, Jessie Ware, Justice + the indie stuff, it's all over the place.

Looks like they are going for an older crowd to me..

I think its a great mix , you should be able to find something that you like at most points during the night .