Benicassim (FIB) 2018

andytommo

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nope. It doesn't work like that. A promoter can only sign someone exclusively if they're willing to be signed exclusively; some are, some aren't.

Aye I stated that as much more of a fact than I probably should have. My point was more that he's sure Arctic Monkeys wouldn't be signed as an exclusive (presumably because of how big they are), and I'm saying that if a band like Pearl Jam is happy to do so then you can't assume Arctic Monkeys won't be. I get that it doesn't just come down to size but his justification for Arctic Monkeys not accepting it was because they're so big.

2 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

yea, i know - new album, first tour in ages, they're not going to play 1 festival in Spain no chance

Almost every other headliner does so when they have a new album and are embarking on their first tour in ages. Look back through previous Spanish festival lineups, 99% of the time they don't share headliners.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Where do you live? I'm from the UK and I accept that they're one of the biggest bands here (along with Foos and Coldplay). In Europe they're not as big as they are here. In America they're even smaller (they only reached headline status on the back of AM). I've not been living under a rock, I'm just realistic about the fact they're not as big a band outside of the UK. Go and ask in any of the other threads for international forums whether Arctic Monkeys are the biggest band that festival could book and most people will tell you no (Benicassim seems to be full of people from the UK which is why I say any of the other international fests).

I know Jack White is nowhere near as big as them. But he's done enough to deserve being a headline act; he's one of the most talented and respected musicians in the world, much more so than any member of Arctic Monkeys.

In reality Arctic Monkeys will play at the usual headline time with Jack White probably on just before them, but also being billed as a headliner because of demands to be billed as one, or because they feel he deserves to be billed as one. It takes nothing away from Arctic Monkeys.

You're looking at it from a UK perspective. Arctic Monkeys aren't as big elsewhere. They're smaller than Pearl Jam, and Pearl Jam were willing to be signed exclusively.

Yeah I get the feeling I'm talking to people who are too young to have experienced The White Stripes and don't know how big a deal they were/Jack White is. Obviously Arctic Monkeys are bigger but Jack White is fully deserving of headline billing.

1) They headlined glasto in 07 so they had headline status wayyyyy before AM. 

2)I'm not saying Jack White isnt worth of a headline slot, but certainly not as a coheadliner with Arctics. If he's on the same day, he'd have to take a slot lower down the bill.

3)The White Stripes were huge mate, not debating. But it WERE huge, not ARE huge. In the current day, Monkeys are bigger, not to mention we aren't talking about White Stripes, we're talking about one standalone member of the duo.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Aye I stated that as much more of a fact than I probably should have. My point was more that he's sure Arctic Monkeys wouldn't be signed as an exclusive (presumably because of how big they are), and I'm saying that if a band like Pearl Jam is happy to do so then you can't assume Arctic Monkeys won't be. I get that it doesn't just come down to size but his justification for Arctic Monkeys not accepting it was because they're so big.

I'd assume that Arctics will be going on a bigger tour due to the new album release so are more likely to do more dates, therefore won't want to be exclusive to just one festival in spain. Pearl Jam are older and are likely to play far less dates, so an exclusive makes more sense.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Where do you live? I'm from the UK and I accept that they're one of the biggest bands here (along with Foos and Coldplay). In Europe they're not as big as they are here. In America they're even smaller (they only reached headline status on the back of AM). I've not been living under a rock, I'm just realistic about the fact they're not as big a band outside of the UK. Go and ask in any of the other threads for international forums whether Arctic Monkeys are the biggest band that festival could book and most people will tell you no (Benicassim seems to be full of people from the UK which is why I say any of the other international fests).

I know Jack White is nowhere near as big as them. But he's done enough to deserve being a headline act; he's one of the most talented and respected musicians in the world, much more so than any member of Arctic Monkeys.

In reality Arctic Monkeys will play at the usual headline time with Jack White probably on just before them, but also being billed as a headliner because of demands to be billed as one, or because they feel he deserves to be billed as one. It takes nothing away from Arctic Monkeys.

You're looking at it from a UK perspective. Arctic Monkeys aren't as big elsewhere. They're smaller than Pearl Jam, and Pearl Jam were willing to be signed exclusively.

Yeah I get the feeling I'm talking to people who are too young to have experienced The White Stripes and don't know how big a deal they were/Jack White is. Obviously Arctic Monkeys are bigger but Jack White is fully deserving of headline billing.

Are you actually having a laugh? The White Stripes, in my opinion, sucked. Awful band, Meg is a SHIT drummer BUT Jack White is an insane guitarist and Lazaretto was awesome. I have seen him twice, if you appreciate music as an art he is awesome live, great diversity and backing band are tight as fuck. PJ signed exclusively because since Lightning Bolt they have not released anything, why would Arctic Monkeys, touring a NEW album want to be tied down to 1 date in Spain. Absolute garbage. 

• Like 1

Just now, DRH0503 said:

1) They headlined glasto in 07 so they had headline status wayyyyy before AM. 

2)I'm not saying Jack White isnt worth of a headline slot, but certainly not as a coheadliner with Arctics. If he's on the same day, he'd have to take a slot lower down the bill.

3)The White Stripes were huge mate, not debating. But it WERE huge, not ARE huge. In the current day, Monkeys are bigger, not to mention we aren't talking about White Stripes, we're talking about one standalone member of the duo.

1. Glastonbury is in England. I said America. In 2012 they were the 5th act down on one day at Coachella (behind The Black Keys, Swedish House Mafia, Pulp and Refused).

2. Well you can believe that if you want, but it's pretty clear they are going to be co-headlining Mad Cool this year, so I'll come back to you once it's been announced.

3. I know Arctic Monkeys are bigger than The White Stripes and Jack White. I never debated that once.

Just now, Honeybane said:

Are you actually having a laugh? The White Stripes, in my opinion, sucked. Awful band, Meg is a SHIT drummer BUT Jack White is an insane guitarist and Lazaretto was awesome. I have seen him twice, if you appreciate music as an art he is awesome live, great diversity and backing band are tight as fuck. PJ signed exclusively because since Lightning Bolt they have not released anything, why would Arctic Monkeys, touring a NEW album want to be tied down to 1 date in Spain. Absolute garbage. 

Great, that's your opinion on The White Stripes, it's irrelevant to where a festival booker is going to place Jack White on the bill.

Okay well we'll just have to see. Most headliners only play one Spanish festival. I think they'll play Mad Cool and then do a proper tour later in the year. If they play a second Spanish fest I imagine it'll be Primavera and not Benicassim.

Just now, Honeybane said:

And don't play down AM, they are massive especially in South America. Barring the borers (Coldplay, Muse, RHCP,)  they are the biggest band in the world by far, superstar bracket. Can headline anywhere and sell out arenas anywhere.  

1. Glastonbury is in England. I said America. In 2012 they were the 5th act down on one day at Coachella (behind The Black Keys, Swedish House Mafia, Pulp and Refused).

2. Well you can believe that if you want, but it's pretty clear they are going to be co-headlining Mad Cool this year, so I'll come back to you once it's been announced.

3. I know Arctic Monkeys are bigger than The White Stripes and Jack White. I never debated that once.

1. Benicassim is a european festival so what does US popularity have to do with it?

2. I know they most likely are, I'm just baffled by the decision to do so and AM's willingness to be demoted to coheadliners.

3. If that's the case why do you think it should be a coheadline rather than AM headline and Jack white down the list?

1 minute ago, Honeybane said:

And don't play down AM, they are massive especially in South America. Barring the borers (Coldplay, Muse, RHCP,)  they are the biggest band in the world by far, superstar bracket. Can headline anywhere and sell out arenas anywhere.  

If Arctic Monkeys and Pearl Jam both announced a stadium show in South America now, Pearl Jam would sell it out quicker. So would other bands.

Great, that's your opinion on The White Stripes, it's irrelevant to where a festival booker is going to place Jack White on the bill.

Okay well we'll just have to see. Most headliners only play one Spanish festival. I think they'll play Mad Cool and then do a proper tour later in the year. If they play a second Spanish fest I imagine it'll be Primavera and not Benicassim.

'Yeah I get the feeling I'm talking to people who are too young to have experienced The White Stripes'

You asked me, don't be a dickhead. 

19 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

and there is no way in a million years AMs are willing to be signed exclusively 

it all depends on what their priorities are, which i've got no idea about (and can be different from a previous tour, too).

Some bands like to pick up the most cash for the fewest shows - so go with exclusive - which others like to play to as many people as they can.

1 minute ago, DRH0503 said:

1. Benicassim is a european festival so what does US popularity have to do with it?

2. I know they most likely are, I'm just baffled by the decision to do so and AM's willingness to be demoted to coheadliners.

3. If that's the case why do you think it should be a coheadline rather than AM headline and Jack white down the list?

1. Huh? I was literally debating the fact you said Arctic Monkeys are the biggest band in the world. Nothing to do with Benicassim.

2. Right, fair enough, but the festival bookers obviously have their reasons for doing so.

3. I don't care either way, I just think being offended by Arctic Monkeys being billed as a co-headliner with such a talented and respected musician is ridiculous.

1. Huh? I was literally debating the fact you said Arctic Monkeys are the biggest band in the world. Nothing to do with Benicassim.

2. Right, fair enough, but the festival bookers obviously have their reasons for doing so.

3. I don't care either way, I just think being offended by Arctic Monkeys being billed as a co-headliner with such a talented and respected musician is ridiculous.

'Great, that's your opinion on (Jack White), it's irrelevant to where a festival booker is going to place Jack White on the bill.'

38 minutes ago, shaun64 said:

12A01M18...the truth will be revealed...well thats what i think..but when's anything i've had a hunch on come true?

Big news (a single/tour dates) must be imminent! 

I remain pessimistic of them playing Beni, so it'll be some surprise if proven wrong.

All bow before the Toad's mighty wisdom.

Eminem to headline the Saturday night at BenNisassim FIB 2018.

MorE to follow...

• Downvote 2

Hi all, been following this topic for a while now and it seems like I’ve convinced the girlfriend to head to Beni for this summer.

I went back in 2011 so I’m sure a lot has changed since then. Can anyone tell me how far the bus goes from the festival that heads down to the beach, and also how late these buses run? I’m hoping that the bus will go a bit further down the beach towards Castellon where most of the available apartments and hotels seem to be.

I’ve heard and read some pretty negative things about the shuttle buses to/from the festival and Oropesa del Mar so I’m a bit put off heading that far away. Anyone stayed in that area that can give us some advice?

Cheers