Isle of Wight 2018 Festival

RATM

• 1 month later...

Interested to see how the lineup turns out now Live Nation are behind it for sure. Obviously Giddings is still leading it but now there might be someone to say "no, not Starsailor, not again".

Tho as eFests points out, that verdict by the CMA investigation is more than a bit sketchy, but always gonna happen wasn't it? -_-

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Interested to see how the lineup turns out now Live Nation are behind it for sure. Obviously Giddings is still leading it but now there might be someone to say "no, not Starsailor, not again".

Tho as eFests points out, that verdict by the CMA investigation is more than a bit sketchy, but always gonna happen wasn't it? -_-

as far as IoW festival goes (in isolation), i reckon the LN takeover is a good thing. The IoW festival has looked desperate and struggling to me for more than a few years.

As far as control of the market goes from controlling a number of festivals, the LN dominance makes me nervous, but far less nervous than it would do if certain different lying untrustworthy no-integrity c**ts were the ones with that control or even much less control.

52 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Bon Jovi are in Europe next year. I'd imagine they'll do either a BST gig or be one of the IOW headliners. Live Nation act so very plausible.

Could by that token end up at Download where they've never played, but yeah it's a definite possibility if they're around.

I'm anticipating that IOW's move to the end of June and Live Nation takeover will put them in good stead to scoop Rock Werchter headliners so I'm expecting two of those (Pearl Jam? Depeche Mode? The Killers?) and then one of Muse or Kasabian because they're likely gonna need a UK festival to inflict themselves upon.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Could by that token end up at Download where they've never played, but yeah it's a definite possibility if they're around.

I'm anticipating that IOW's move to the end of June and Live Nation takeover will put them in good stead to scoop Rock Werchter headliners so I'm expecting two of those (Pearl Jam? Depeche Mode? The Killers?) and then one of Muse or Kasabian because they're likely gonna need a UK festival to inflict themselves upon.

Muse aren't going to do a uk fest for the 4th year in a row. Kasabian is a solid shout though. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Without a new album that'd be overkill, sure, but I thought that's where the new tracks were leading? If it's a new tour I don't reckon they'll hesitate.

Theres only been one new track and theyve only recorded 3 songs as of yet and have just resumed their US tour. Matt was talking about maybe dropping another single before as a standalone song. Theyve got a few dates in asia and australia as well this year so even if they really tried i doubt theyd be ready with an album by summer. 

On 16/09/2017 at 3:38 PM, Muppetmark said:

Theres only been one new track and theyve only recorded 3 songs as of yet and have just resumed their US tour. Matt was talking about maybe dropping another single before as a standalone song. Theyve got a few dates in asia and australia as well this year so even if they really tried i doubt theyd be ready with an album by summer. 

Fair play. I read that they wanna bring out an album next year and had some songs done but I didn't realise there was that much left to do.

Just spotted whilst checking out the website that it's the 50th anniversary of IOW Fest next year so, considering how legendary it was in its first run, maybe they'll get some big guns in to celebrate that? A lot of the naffest ones have been used up in the last few years too which is good.

22 minutes ago, pete76 said:

Roger Waters will be touring Europe next summer. Stones haven't played any gigs in England this year. There are rumours about Springsteen, Pearl Jam and Bon Jovi coming to Europe as well. 

the stones are currently tied-in with Live Nation's main competitor - so it's very unlikely they'd do IoW, I think.

It's not impossible of course. There are some good and strong links between Live Nation & Giddings and the Stones, but the Stones normally work with one company with any series of shows.

I think Waters might be off the table too. Would be a good shout for 50th anniversary but the news today suggests he's taking his tour thru a number of venues in the UK, which usually doesn't play well for IOW.

Not to flip flop too much on these predictions but Phil Collins seems a pretty good bet for this. His tour is/was a "Live Nation & Solo arrangement" and I suppose that's what the festival is now as well. And won't really have to worry about other shows because he'll have done them all.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/18/2017 at 3:26 PM, dentalplan said:

I think Waters might be off the table too. Would be a good shout for 50th anniversary but the news today suggests he's taking his tour thru a number of venues in the UK, which usually doesn't play well for IOW.

Not to flip flop too much on these predictions but Phil Collins seems a pretty good bet for this. His tour is/was a "Live Nation & Solo arrangement" and I suppose that's what the festival is now as well. And won't really have to worry about other shows because he'll have done them all.

Waters is doing Hyde Park and I haven't seen anywhere that it's a 'festival exclusive'. With no Glasto, I think he's pretty much nailed on for IOW. 

Edited by LiamMcMillen

38 minutes ago, LiamMcMillen said:

Waters is doing Hyde Park and I haven't seen anywhere that it's a 'festival exclusive'. With no Glasto, I think he's pretty much nailed on for IOW. 

has that happened with BST acts in the past, that they've done IoW too? 
(I can't remember it happening but i might not have been playing attention).

if it's not happened in the past then I reckon it's even-more unlikely now, with BST and ioW being on opposite sides of the biggest* teams.

(* biggest in terms of the bands being booked, anyway)

Just now, eFestivals said:

has that happened with BST acts in the past, that they've done IoW too? 
(I can't remember it happening but i might not have been playing attention).

if it's not happened in the past then I reckon it's even-more unlikely now, with BST and ioW being on opposite sides of the biggest* teams.

(* biggest in terms of the bands being booked, anyway)

Blur did both in 2015. Bon Jovi did both in 2013. I can't imagine what other festival Waters would play, and BST is usually quite big on naming their gigs as exclusive.