Isle of Wight 2018 Festival

RATM

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

for all we know, there might have been only ten of them

I got an early bird ticket (£130) but they were only on sale for a few days before there was a notice saying the limited number had sold out.  no idea how many sold.  I'm sure if tickets sold massive numbers in a short time they'd be publicising this,  most good PR companies would!! 

26 minutes ago, ooxld said:

I got an early bird ticket (£130) but they were only on sale for a few days before there was a notice saying the limited number had sold out.  no idea how many sold.  I'm sure if tickets sold massive numbers in a short time they'd be publicising this,  most good PR companies would!! 

Well there is also the issue I mentioned before.... there is a limited amount of Ferries and spaces on Ferries. When we bought the earlybird tickets the ferry from 10am to 3pm on the thursday had practically sold out. We had to get 3 cars on 2 different ferries. 

The return ones were even worse! could only get a 4.30pm ferry back.... so in my understanding with all the best intentions they will never sell out IOW.... just cant get the amount of people on the island off effectively. 

44 minutes ago, ooxld said:

thing is, just about any event would lie about it as much as tell the truth.

if they wanted to be upfront about it, all they need to do is publish how many there are. There's a reason why few do (some do, tho).

Simple fact is that most want the ability to manipulate things in the less-good situations, to pretend a special batch has sold out when it hasn't, or to put the price on a specific date anyway.

There's nothing particularly underhand about any of that, they're just trying to work things in their event's favour rather than (perhaps) against it, as anyone would.

But from 20 years sat here I've learnt there's stuff you can use to benchmark and there's stuff you can't. Even plenty of "sold out"'s are suspect.

You can't really use the speed of sales of early birds as meaning very much, cos if nothing else the go-every-year regulars will snap them up as cheap tickets (and there won't be enough to satisfy those in most instances), so they don't indicate wider demand.

25 minutes ago, Havors said:

so in my understanding with all the best intentions they will never sell out IOW.... just cant get the amount of people on the island off effectively. 

700,000 made it over in 1970 :D

The shit line-up is the reason it won't sell out, not the ferries. I think the vast majority of people come over as foot passengers.

56 minutes ago, Henrik said:

700,000 made it over in 1970 :D

The shit line-up is the reason it won't sell out, not the ferries. I think the vast majority of people come over as foot passengers.

haha this is 2018.... people are lazy twats! If the ferry was sold out I know a shit load of people wont go. 

They probably swam over in 1970 :D

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Futurism said:

That's a mixture of acts from different stages. I would guess kasabian and chase status will be on at the same time. 

Yeah I have a feeling that will be the case.... would much prefer Script were on same time as Kasabian so I could catch Chase & Status. I notice there is still around 30 acts to be announced and nothing has been mentioned for the thursday yet... come on sneak some Friendly Fires in the big top on the thursday! would be awesome. 

I'm guessing that the following will be Big Top acts :

Fri - Chase & Status - Nile Rodgers

Sat - Hacienda Classical - Tokio Myers

Sun - Camila Cabello

That would leave a headliner required for Sunday in the Big Top and a host of 80's acts to be announced for Thursday

Hoping that Manics stay as sub to Killers and Feeder stay on the main stage as Friday openers

20 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So slightly offtopic but does anyone else have suggestions on where else to see Depeche Mode? Because I want to see them but nothing else on Saturday appeals and I live near Newcastle so it's quite far to travel. Thinking maybe I should go abroad to see them but where?

They are playing Mad Cool in Madrid. Not sure if you can buy day tickets for that?? 

33 minutes ago, countingcrow said:

I'm guessing that the following will be Big Top acts :

Fri - Chase & Status - Nile Rodgers

Sat - Hacienda Classical - Tokio Myers

Sun - Camila Cabello

That would leave a headliner required for Sunday in the Big Top and a host of 80's acts to be announced for Thursday

Hoping that Manics stay as sub to Killers and Feeder stay on the main stage as Friday openers

Be surprised if Feeder played an openers.... didnt they headline the Big Top a couple of years ago? big change that :)

Also, they went with Razorlight and Starsailor last year on the Thursday. So no saying they will go 80's? There is about 30 acts still to be announced if you compare with previous years though. 

Saw Chase n Status in big top around 7 years ago when they'd just broke into charts.  It was dangerously full but awesome atmosphere,  although it was the full group not dj set like this year.  if they and chic follow each other in big top that'll be brilliant, no need to move for a couple of hours :-) 

2 minutes ago, ooxld said:

Saw Chase n Status in big top around 7 years ago when they'd just broke into charts.  It was dangerously full but awesome atmosphere,  although it was the full group not dj set like this year.  if they and chic follow each other in big top that'll be brilliant, no need to move for a couple of hours :-) 

Yeah would much prefer a live set but still tons of big tunes! Id prefer they didnt clash with Kasabian either though... they are decent to sing along to when your smashed :)

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

There are day tickets available but I imagine it'll be quite expensive. So far Open'er seems to be the best option: Depeche Mode, David Byrne, Massive Attack and more for about £60ish

Just go all in and do one of the whole festivals :)

5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Unfortunately there aren't many that appeal that aren't either sold out or clashing with other things I'm doing. Plus I don't want to go to a festival abroad if I'm already seeing a lot of the good acts over here. It's difficult :(

Yeah I get what your saying. What I love about festivals though is the unexpected. Wondering around and coming across some crazy and fun things... and sometimes some brilliant music. I dont think I could go a year without doing at least one festival :)

• Upvote 1