Isle of Wight 2018 Festival

RATM

34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah. £75 and fees. With travel on top of that though, it'd probably be cheaper to do a full weekend festival somewhere in Europe where Depeche Mode are.

I am already going to see them in Amsterdam in January and Berlin in July.

Have always fancied IOW but its a bit of a treck.

The issue I have is that for a 50th Anniversary these are not special headliners.  OK so many have a big fan base and are good live bands but at a festival your trying to cater for a broad base of people. Apart from fans of the groups, how many people will know more than just a couple of hits of each group over a one hour set?  OK maybe Depeche and Liam if he does Oasis stuff can fill over an hour with hits that the majority know but the others will struggle. Think of Queen two years ago, great live musicians,  amazing visual spectacle,  everyone know nearly all their hits. So it's a fairly standard iow festival line up this year,  not a special 50th anniversary one.  I'm glad I managed to get the early bird £135 tickets. 

36 minutes ago, ooxld said:

The issue I have is that for a 50th Anniversary these are not special headliners. 

you're asking for something which just doesn't happen.

1. they can only book the acts available to be booked.

2. if they claim this as extra-special for what they book for this year, they're saying all future years have sub-standard headliners.

You might as well be asking a promoter to honestly talk about the line-up booked, instead of saying "it's great" every year.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

you're asking for something which just doesn't happen.

1. they can only book the acts available to be booked.

2. if they claim this as extra-special for what they book for this year, they're saying all future years have sub-standard headliners.

You might as well be asking a promoter to honestly talk about the line-up booked, instead of saying "it's great" every year.

On point 2. - They don't have to say it's extra special, do they? They just have to do it.  It's like saying 'I don't want to do good this year or people will realise I was pony last time round'.

There's nothing wrong per say with any of the headliners.  All will put on a performance, all will be enjoyable - it does just feel pretty uninspired.

Put it this way - in 2012 when there was no Glasto it was Tom Petty & HBs/Elbow , Pearl Jam / Biffy and Springsteen / Noel Gallagher & HFB's.  That absolutely shits on this!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McNutt said:

On point 2. - They don't have to say it's extra special, do they? They just have to do it.  It's like saying 'I don't want to do good this year or people will realise I was pony last time round'.

As far as a promoter is concerned, they'll be aiming for the same spot each year and where they land will be decided for what's available to them.

If you expect them to go a bit further cos it's the 50th (even tho it's not :P), then that inevitably means the following years will be sub-standard in comparison.

20 minutes ago, McNutt said:

There's nothing wrong per say with any of the headliners.  All will put on a performance, all will be enjoyable - it does just feel pretty uninspired.

Put it this way - in 2012 when there was no Glasto it was Tom Petty & HBs/Elbow , Pearl Jam / Biffy and Springsteen / Noel Gallagher & HFB's.  That absolutely shits on this!

Horse for courses. Some people will see this year as better.

No line up with Springsteen shits on anything. :P

7 hours ago, ooxld said:

The issue I have is that for a 50th Anniversary these are not special headliners.  OK so many have a big fan base and are good live bands but at a festival your trying to cater for a broad base of people. Apart from fans of the groups, how many people will know more than just a couple of hits of each group over a one hour set?  OK maybe Depeche and Liam if he does Oasis stuff can fill over an hour with hits that the majority know but the others will struggle. Think of Queen two years ago, great live musicians,  amazing visual spectacle,  everyone know nearly all their hits. So it's a fairly standard iow festival line up this year,  not a special 50th anniversary one.  I'm glad I managed to get the early bird £135 tickets. 

well i know all of kasabians and killers.depends what you like and how much you into your music.yes queen were good ,but wasnt really them and a bit of a panto singalong,but other loved.saying that ,i would of loved somebody like elo muse g day or stones to fin sunday

• Upvote 1

Quite looking forward to Van the man, Kasabian and Depeche Mode. I'll have to tolerate Liam unfortunately. Their 2009 V Weston was not good, not good at all. Quite disrespectful for the fans who went particularly to see Oasis

I'll be checking out the clash finder to find an alternative to the perennial Killers though...

I'm sure the undercard will be varied - something for everyone - quite looking forward to the drip, drip, drip....

Have to agree - ELO / Muse / Roger Waters / Bruce would have changed this from good to excellent / outstanding (Bruce).

No doubt - if the weather is good - it'll be another fantastic weekend and I'm really looking forward to it!

• Downvote 1

With the exception of Kasabian and Liam Gallagher I am happy with the lineup although did think there may be something huge due to the pseudo 50th anniversary. Can anyone recommend Kasabian stuff, I have tried but am still still not really getting it. If Liam does his own stuff may just go to one of the smaller tents.    

I would have loved if Imagine Dragons were there although are they too big now to sub these headliners? Taking my 14 year old daughter who's is seriously into music (Plays trumpet) for her first festival and she loves ID's. If the weather is good wouldn't mind what I watch really with the exception of DM who I am dying to see again, last time was back in early 90's anyone recommend any of their newer stuff?  

30 minutes ago, HattersBoy said:

With the exception of Kasabian and Liam Gallagher I am happy with the lineup although did think there may be something huge due to the pseudo 50th anniversary. Can anyone recommend Kasabian stuff, I have tried but am still still not really getting it. If Liam does his own stuff may just go to one of the smaller tents.    

I would have loved if Imagine Dragons were there although are they too big now to sub these headliners? Taking my 14 year old daughter who's is seriously into music (Plays trumpet) for her first festival and she loves ID's. If the weather is good wouldn't mind what I watch really with the exception of DM who I am dying to see again, last time was back in early 90's anyone recommend any of their newer stuff?  

look at setlist for recent gigs.liam does loads of oasis .kasabian i saw sat and have seen many a time including their king power football club gig.they just get better and better great dance and sing a long

1 hour ago, HattersBoy said:

I thought Imagine Dragons were likely to pop up here as a sub. Not sure if Van Morrison is confirmed as a sub but if not I could easily see them slotting in below The Killers.

4 hours ago, retrokev said:

look at setlist for recent gigs.liam does loads of oasis .kasabian i saw sat and have seen many a time including their king power football club gig.they just get better and better great dance and sing a long

Thanks will do could do with a good dance and will have a look at Liams setlists.

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I thought Imagine Dragons were likely to pop up here as a sub. Not sure if Van Morrison is confirmed as a sub but if not I could easily see them slotting in below The Killers.

I guess they have to sell out their stadium tour before any festival announcements, would make the sunday night unmissable tho and my daughter unbelievably happy lol

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Christmas Everyone.

John Giddings is on Absolute radio tonight at 9PM talking about the Festival.

Hopefully he may reveal some more bands.

Here's the original tweet.

Solo Music Agency @SoloMusicAgency Dec 20

More

#5daysToChristmas also means 5 days till we can hear @JohnGiddings01 talk about everything @IsleOfWightFest on @absoluteradio  On at 9pm Christmas Day. Don’t miss it! #IOW50

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/12/2017 at 3:20 PM, Futurism said:

Happy Christmas Everyone.

John Giddings is on Absolute radio tonight at 9PM talking about the Festival.

Hopefully he may reveal some more bands.

Here's the original tweet.

Solo Music Agency @SoloMusicAgency Dec 20

More

#5daysToChristmas also means 5 days till we can hear @JohnGiddings01 talk about everything @IsleOfWightFest on @absoluteradio  On at 9pm Christmas Day. Don’t miss it! #IOW50

Did he say anything of interest? Like why he sold out and turned IOW into the new sub par V fest? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Havors said:

Did he say anything of interest? Like why he sold out and turned IOW into the new sub par V fest? 

He mainly spoke about previous bands that had played and how he managed to get Depeche Mode to play this year.

He did say there will be some surprises because of it being the 50th anniversary.

17 hours ago, Futurism said:

He mainly spoke about previous bands that had played and how he managed to get Depeche Mode to play this year.

He did say there will be some surprises because of it being the 50th anniversary.

Meh.... some surprises may be good, but likely just silly little random things; its not a real 50th anniversary. The headliners were where they needed to make the statement about a 50th anniversary and they have basically given us a bunch of Sub or Alternative stage headliners. 

They have gone from triple A bands over the last few years like Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Queen, Chilli Peppers, Kings of Leon, Stone Roses, Blur, Arcade Fire..... to this years pretty average headliners.... Depeche Mode will be good to see as a novelty but the others I have seen countless times at other festivals as subs or headlining from when they were at their peak.

That being said I got a ticket as they were only £135 and there is no Glasto this year so I am hoping and praying for a few nice suprise acts... maybe a top top headliner to play Thursday or something. 

• Like 1

If you Google "Isle of Wight festival 2017 map"  you'll get links to last year's map. The map isn't great quality but it may give you an idea.  The general camping area (where I stay)  is about 10-15 min walk to main stage so that may help you to judge campervan distance on the map 

• Like 1