Isle of Wight 2018 Festival

RATM

12 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I've not experienced this double headliner before - do the acts get shortened sets?

I really hope not for DM, they deserve 2 hours. Liam is very much the junior partner in this case.

Nah if they want two hours they'll get it - I don't think it'll change much at all in the running of things, just a promotional thing innit. It's just the previous Isle of Wight's coheadline pairings include the likes of Stereophonics and Faithless and David Guetta so it's a bit grim that Depeche Mode have to join those ranks on their big UK festival homecoming. :P

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Seems a bit better with the biggest headliner tacked on.

I suppose it's not great for my hope of Depeche Mode headlining Glastonbury that they have to share the headline billing with Liam Gallagher.

I guess with Glastonbury the info has always been about the festival approaching them rather then the other way round. Perhaps them not being outright headliners here might encourage them to do Glastonbury in the future if there’s another offer.

Weekend movement to Glastonbury slot obviously points to IOW priming itself for a commericalised alternative on the fallow year. 

But with two acts who instantly sold out UK arena tours at the top of the pile in The Killers and Liam Gallagher, plus Depeche Mode getting their first UK headline slot in earnest in a while, it's certainly charts-topical, if not exactly bleeding edge.

Happy with that. Might finally get down south from Yorkshire for it - been meaning to tick it off at some point.

55 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Any mention of The Killers being a UK exclusive does anyone know? No way I'm going to this but hoping to catch them next summer. Maybe they'll do this then some European dates then back for TRNSMT or something.

Just announced two stadium gigs, Swansea on 23rd June and Bolton on 13th July. A very odd choice of venues.

Edited by kingcrawler

3 minutes ago, Odessa said:

That's very bizarre. They're above that, no idea what's gone on there.

Looks to em as if they've added a couple of shows to get a bit of extra cash to make the trip to Europe a bit more worthwhile £££ wise without a massive outlay. They play Swansea the day before the IOW so that would lead me to believe they will be announced for something  else fairly close around the Bolton date.  

Could they be Latitude Saturday night headliners? they could be going for the Glastonbury crowd - only other option really is NOS Alive but Mad Cool festival have said they have all of NOS's headliners and the Killers are ruled out for that due to the Bolton date.

I could be wrong but with all due respect to Bolton, I can't see them flying over just for that one date.

Just now, DiscothequeDave said:

Looks to em as if they've added a couple of shows to get a bit of extra cash to make the trip to Europe a bit more worthwhile £££ wise without a massive outlay. They play Swansea the day before the IOW so that would lead me to believe they will be announced for something  else fairly close around the Bolton date.  

Could they be Latitude Saturday night headliners? they could be going for the Glastonbury crowd - only other option really is NOS Alive but Mad Cool festival have said they have all of NOS's headliners and the Killers are ruled out for that due to the Bolton date.

I could be wrong but with all due respect to Bolton, I can't see them flying over just for that one date.

I mean, TRNSMT is the week before so I had assumed they'd do one of those dates, but it seems like a long time to wait just for one stadium show....

4 hours ago, sisco said:

If that’s true I actually think that’s a decent lineup for IOW.  

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Splits 

IWFEST-Lineup-Poster-v2.jpg

Personally I think they've done very well there. The Killers, DM co-headlining....Liam was always going to make that step soon too. I don't mind James and Blossoms tbf...not huge but better than The Script and Van for me, I'd defo look at if it wasn't stupid distance and travel.

38 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Nah no way they do Latitude. Even if they're discounted for NOS and Mad Cool, there'll be smaller random European festivals nobody's ever heard of to tide them over until Bolton.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Nah no way they do Latitude. Even if they're discounted for NOS and Mad Cool, there'll be smaller random European festivals nobody's ever heard of to tide them over until Bolton.

They could be a shout for Belsonic in Belfast but that might be a bit small for them. Also expecting them to play Benicasim too

12 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Definitely seems strange. Must say, wasn't expecting a stadium tour - just festivals and a Wembley/Emirates gig in the capital.

How many can each hold? Assuming between 35,000 and 40,000 each.

5 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Definitely seems strange. Must say, wasn't expecting a stadium tour - just festivals and a Wembley/Emirates gig in the capital.

How many can each hold? Assuming between 35,000 and 40,000 each.

The football capacities are 21,000 (Swansea) and 28,000 (Bolton). I'm not sure how that converts to gigs but I assume its roughly the same 

Edited by the wonderwhy